Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 16

Author Topic: Broadband problem with voice line  (Read 44363 times)

srt

• Reg Member
Re: Broadband problem with voice line
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2011, 04:29:01 PM »

Hi again Walter :)
Thanks for the input  ;)
Unfortunately I am tied to BT and they dont seem to be so forthcoming although I may just ask the BT moderator.
He is acting for BT from their "community forum"!
I just took up with them after being with Sky which was where the situation first showed up back in March.
I left Sky thinking I would at least go for the soonish "infinity" option but the line issue would appear to take presidence over broadband -  I think :-\

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2011, 04:53:43 PM »

. . . the line issue would appear to take presidence over broadband -  I think. :-\

Absolutely correct. Until the voice "side" of your service is operating properly, any attempts to improve your broadband connection will be impossible. You must keep up the pressure on your telephony provider, BT retail. Don't even bother mentioning broadband / DSL -- they will only get confused and use it to "pass the buck". BT retail must continue to arrange for OR engineering visits until the telephony service is operating to specification. Currently it is not.

Mr Pag will, I'm sure, be able to tell us the relevant reference codes that the OR engineer should use in the fault log . . .
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

srt

• Reg Member
« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2011, 06:26:03 PM »

"they will only get confused and use it to "pass the buck"

I fear that is what is happening. The engineer said it was really a broadband thing which did not give me much confidence but I could hardly tell him his job as I am not that qualified.  :(
tbh the reason he was there was at the request of the BT moderator following my request.
I just hope the BT moderator can assist a bit more :-\
I have this doubt that they truly recognize it as a fault :'(

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2011, 08:31:14 PM »

I have this doubt that they truly recognize it as a fault  :'(

I wonder from what planet "they" originate. Noticeable crosstalk and dial-out failures, which just return you to the dial-tone, are not part of a working telephony service. :no:

srt

• Reg Member
« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2011, 10:28:51 PM »

Remember - "ET - phone home" ?
Well it rhymes - the planet that is ::)

razpag

• Reg Member
« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2011, 09:20:30 AM »

Phew !! Lots going on here.

Firstly, as I always state, 'remote faulting' is virtually impossible as there are way too many parameters for mis-information from all parties.

What I find incredulous is that you say you've had a 'Boost' engineering visit, and he found errors and said it was probably a line fault ?? If this was the case, he has to continue faulting the circuit until he clears the fault condition causing the errors. I fear that the engineers you have had, may be being overly scrutinised under the ridiculous 'Productivity measures' we have to abide by ??. In the same breath, if they carry out the required tests laid down by all ISP's and OR, and they all pass, then they are well within their rights to 'complete' the job and move on. This really is another debate and one we (engineers) are continually at loggerheads with our bosses with, as it actively encourages poor standards.

So back to your issue. A D-side change of pair is what we book as an 82.7P. There is a historic log kept (for a period of time) by OR of all work done on any SP's line. Before ANY of the Broadband Engineering visits are built, each line has to test perfect, ie- electrically fault-free. As B*Cat has mooted, if there was a fault condition detected, then by curing the fault it would normally follow that the broadband speeds/stability would improve.
You say you can hear faint conversations when lifting the receiver on the phone ?? Well, if this is the case then I can assure you when you ring to raise a fault and they carry out the line test, it would return a 'Battery Contact' result of some value between 0-50Vdc. This means your 'positive' wire is in contact with another EU's 'positive' wire (Please, no pedants about -50Vdc etc) and you will be able to hear each others convo's. As you have had Broadband Engineering visits previously, I can draw the conclusion you have got 'Line Tests OK (LTOK) situations at all times.
This leads me to believe that there is an exchange equipment fault on your line, as when the line-test is carried out when you ring to raise a fault, its only testing the 'outgoing' wires from the exchange to your premises in effect, and not going through the exchange equipment (In laymans terms). Therefore it doesn't 'see' the faulty equipment.

As this is a PSTN (Phone) fault, I would be tempted to raise a 'Network Engineering' fault rather than a broadband. When this issue is cleared, then your DSL will improve. Like I say though, this is just my opinion based loosely on the feedback on here. Please give the engineer as much relevant info as you can without getting too complicated. If he's only Network Engineer skilled, ranting on about DSL errors and SNR swings will only make his head boil.
TBH, I would ask if the engineer is 'multi-skilled with ADSL' (the cream of the crop as I can testify to  ;)), and if he/she is, then certainly give them all the info.

I hope you get a result pal, and I do sympathise as a 'LTOK' situation is hard to get anything done with.

srt

• Reg Member
« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2011, 11:18:10 AM »

razpag - - thanks for the input :)
The only thing I can do and have done up to now is inform the BT moderator who has been assisting.
The faint conversations are not constant. I have done quiet line tests till I am blue in the face and at certain times I can hear the faint conversations and I recorded them.
The line drops calls occassionaly so I have to redial up to four or five times before it connects.
The engineer who visited about the line fault was acting on the request of the BT moderator. The moderator had apparently requested that the card be changed at the exchange and the engineer just laughed and said he was not authorized and could not do that. He also felt it should have been a broadband person dealing with it.
I said that one had been before and he said there were errors - - this is what the BT moderator told me "I’ve contacted the Boost team to check on the engineer report and he has confirmed that although there may be intermittent drops he did not witness these occurring. He has also confirmed the CRC errors but thinks there is a problems with the line as opposed to the broadband connection." ???
So the engineer did do stuff but its clear there are other factors - - he mentioned the pressure they had to clear jobs etc.
I now have to wait for the BT moderator to reply as I told him there are still problems:(

razpag

• Reg Member
« Reply #22 on: June 25, 2011, 03:06:14 PM »

Quick reply --- he's right, we can't swop exchange cards, they don't belong to us they belong to the SP. They would despatch their own transmission engineer to do such work.

I would ask your 'moderator' to do one of two things, 1'st- ask that a new telephone LIC number be provided, and 2'nd- if the fault is still prevalent then that a 'lift & shift' be done.

There's no point doing it the other way around, as you would just be 'carrying' your faulty (in contact with another number) telephone number onto new DSL ties, and this defeats the object.

srt

• Reg Member
« Reply #23 on: June 25, 2011, 05:49:06 PM »

"1'st- ask that a new telephone LIC number be provided"

Excuse my lack of knowledge here but does that mean a new phone number ???
That seems a bit drastic as Ive had this number for some 20 years :-\
The sp would be BT would it not so if thats the case then someone from BT should be able to do that?
Thanks again.

razpag

• Reg Member
« Reply #24 on: June 25, 2011, 05:58:38 PM »

No mate .... it means transferring your Tel No. onto  new equipment (as it appears the original may be faulty). You keep the same number.

razpag

• Reg Member
« Reply #25 on: June 25, 2011, 06:01:26 PM »

I can now see how you would think I meant asking about a new number.  ;D

LIC is the 'concentrator' number that the 'man in the exchange' will run the wires to.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #26 on: June 25, 2011, 08:00:27 PM »

Thank you for finding the time to post here, RP. With your professional guidance and some persistence by she/he who is allocated for the next OR engineering visit, the OP's problem will eventually be resolved. :)

At a personal level, I always find your posts -- which relate to those aspects of your daily £work -- a useful source of information and, thus, educational. ;D
« Last Edit: June 25, 2011, 11:09:27 PM by burakkucat »

razpag

• Reg Member
« Reply #27 on: June 25, 2011, 08:10:36 PM »

That's very kind of you to say B*Cat.

I've always said (even via a PM to Kitz) that this truly is an extremely informative site, with myself having gained lots of info. If I find myself in a position to return that favour, then it's a no-brainer !!!

;D ;D 

srt

• Reg Member
« Reply #28 on: June 25, 2011, 09:02:18 PM »

razpag - Many thanks for the clarification :)
I will give this a shot with the moderator guy and hope he can come up with the goods :)
Likewise your second option.
Its very helpful to have your assistance and knowledge here and I appreciate your time :)
Just a thought - should BT (being the sp) not be able to do the card change as a mater of course?
Although I dont know how intricate/costly that might be :'(
Again - my thanks :)
Likewise to B*cat et al :)

razpag

• Reg Member
« Reply #29 on: June 25, 2011, 10:03:18 PM »

Hi srt.

As with faulty DSL exchange cards, faulty PSTN (speech) cards will only be changed as and when the SP deems it neccessary. I can only guess that would be when a certain 'Fault level' on the particular card has been breached ?

Performing a 'LIC change' by your SP is relatively straightforward and painless. It just needs to be co-ordinated so that when BT 'move' your number to the new LIC port, that the jumper-man in the exchange then has a task to re-wire to this new LIC.

As I say, this is only my opinion based on this thread, and I'd be extremely surprised if a desk-bound 'moderator' would request a 'LIC change' sorely on advice gained on a DG. TBH, they probably won't even know what one is and will be going from a script if history dictates ?? ;D  . There may be a lot more to your fault than meets the eye, but at the very least you have some information in which to throw in their direction. 
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 16

anything