Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: I always thought the FTTC cabinets were big  (Read 3241 times)

renluop

• Kitizen
I always thought the FTTC cabinets were big
« on: July 16, 2011, 06:45:35 AM »

But when I saw what the ones being installed around my town, it doesn't seem they are. Volume seems much the same but on is portrait the other landscape.

Has the equipment been modified to make it smaller?

[attachment deleted by admin]

waltergmw

• Kitizen
Re: I always thought the FTTC cabinets were big
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2011, 10:46:57 AM »

Hi Renluop,

There are two sizes of FTTC.

The larger one usually contains four 100 Pr link cables to the PCP giving a total capacity of 200 services (twisted pairs) using the SMPF (Shared Metallic Path Facility). I.e. it still has the telephone line back to the exchange connected as indeed is mandatory as BT's Ts & Cs stipulate you must hire a telephone line from BT wholesale or retail in order to receive the faster FTTC service. Smaller ISPs such as Rutland have a greater FTTC capacity which can be up to 500 if the MSANs are so populated as they use the FMPF (Full MPF) or isolated D side twisted pair.

The smaller one has only two 100 pr cables so it can only support 100 services. BT seem (at least in this area of Surrey) to use the small cabinets when the PCP has up to about 400 pairs.
On the THGI Guildford exchange there are about 38,500 lines but only about 12,600 FTTC pairs capacity spread over the entire area.
This is probably a commercial decision based upon the fact that the superior coaxial Virgin Media 100 Mbps service is available over a large part of the area; sadly there are quite a number of pockets without VM coverage. A few of these don't have the BT FTTC service either so they are just as badly off as many rural areas around here.

N.B. the above data are based upon my local observations without any formal confirmation from either VM or BT.

Kind regards,
Walter

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2011, 06:42:28 PM »

But when I saw what the ones being installed around my town, it doesn't seem they are. Volume seems much the same but on is portrait the other landscape.

Has the equipment been modified to make it smaller?

In your first photograph you have the POTS PCP [no. 8] in the foreground and a Huawei FTTC in the background. Your second photograph is of the small size Huawei FTTC.

I know Walter has quite a collection of photographs of PCPs and FTTCs, if you are really interested in the different shapes, sizes and styles. :)
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2011, 08:28:50 PM »

Not sure what you're getting at with your comment about fore and back grounds. I just assumed the shiny one was the new FTTC cab ;)

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2011, 04:17:39 PM »

In your first photograph (file47) there is the POTS PCP no.8 in the foreground and, in the background, is the "shiny new FTTC" (a smaller sized one, made by Huawei).

Your second photograph (file8) is the close-up of the latter.

Sorry if I was not too clear in writing my observations. :-[
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2011, 07:57:35 PM »

I could have done the pics better, but they were taken whilst waiting fora bus to Southampton.

Didn't want to miss it as there's only one on three days a week :D

anything