Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: DG834GT SNR Margin  (Read 2593 times)

silversurfer44

• Kitizen
  • Lord Muck
    • Ben Novice Weather
DG834GT SNR Margin
« on: June 20, 2011, 12:36:45 PM »

I have a slight problem with Mains interference on said router. The root of the problem is a digital set top box. Whenever I plug this box in the mains socket I get a drop of approximately 2.5db in the SNR margin as reported by routerstats. On its own this is never fatal as there is sufficient to cope with the drop as I run around 7.5db normally.

The question is if one piece of kit can do this what else might be doing the same. I have noticed a couple of similar drops whilst typing this out. The only thing switching on and off is a fridge, but it doesn't seem to interfere. I have checked with all the gear around me and nothing else produces this effect. The two mains plugs are miles apart, one downstairs and the other upstairs.

Does anyone have a clue as to how I could perhaps protect the router from mains born interference?
Colin II : It's no good being a pessimist, it wouldn't work anyway.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: DG834GT SNR Margin
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2011, 12:58:28 PM »

You can get mains interference filters which might help. But the sort of interference which you're referring to could come from almost anywhere, and may well not be mains borne. If the digibox is connected to the telephone line you might try disconnecting it or using two ADSL filters, one plugged into the other, to give double filtering.
  Eric

silversurfer44

• Kitizen
  • Lord Muck
    • Ben Novice Weather
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2011, 01:12:37 PM »

Thank you Roseway.
The digital box is just your bog standard signal converter. Analogue Ariel input and composite output. So for some reason the box is feeding interference back onto the mains circuit. I do have a couple of filters around the house somewhere, I will look them up and see if they work. I would have thought the adapter for the router would have filtered some out, but apparently not.

I wonder how many other people may be getting this sort of thing without knowing about it.?

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2011, 02:42:59 PM »

I think that electrical interference is pretty well unavoidable. Everyone's connection will be affected to some degree. All you can do is take measures to minimise it, and that can sometimes take a lot of effort.
  Eric

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2011, 02:48:51 PM »

If, as is common, your digibox has an external "wall-wart" power supply try buying a replacement of suitable voltage.

Though, depending on the type of digibox, a whole new one might not be much more.  8)

silversurfer44

• Kitizen
  • Lord Muck
    • Ben Novice Weather
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2011, 03:14:43 PM »

Yes I agree there Roseway, its just that there must be other pieces of kit doing the same. Finding them all would be almost impossible. So if there was a way to protect the router power supply from the most severe interference then that would make sense. Well it does to me.  :)

HP: the power cord goes straight into the box so it would be another box. Then I would have to try as many boxes as there is to try and get a quite one.  ???

As I say at the moment its not a real problem as I have the margin to spare and I have gone 14 days without a resync, so I think that fair enough.

However there may be a few trying to get better than they have and they may be looking at the wrong culprit. Food for thought eh!

anything