Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]

Author Topic: What AV to buy, what to do next? Update  (Read 21317 times)

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
Re: What AV to buy, what to do next? Update
« Reply #75 on: June 28, 2011, 01:58:09 PM »

Hi again chrissie.

Looking through your screenies of the msconfig startup tab.

I would take the check mark out of the item iTunesHelper

I can fine no reference to Python22Autobar on the net......do you have a program associated with that name or a similar name (I don't like the look of the wee h= after the name.
Maybe if you were to take the check mark out of that and see what happens.

I am very suspicious that there is still an infection running on the machine...that item E_S68 is very odd
Take the check mark out of that and see what happens...and on next boot up check to see if it is back.

Take the checks out click apply/ok out of that and reboot

chrissie

• Kitizen
  • little sweetie
« Reply #76 on: June 29, 2011, 10:36:17 AM »

Hi

TD I increased the virtual memory as suggested but not had chance to see if anything is better tho I should hope it would be.

Re the startup menu.  The Python thing is something to do with HP I found out so I imagine that is ok...  However I have just unchecked the itunes helper (and WKCALREM which I don't use) and when I restarted the computer a box came up...You have used system config utility to make changes to the way windows start. Currently in diagnostic or selective startup mode causing this message to be displayed and the utility to run everytime.  Choose normal setup mode in Gen tab to start windows normally or undo the changes you made using the system config utility.   I must say I didn't touch any other tab so I don't know how it changed the config to diagnostics.   I re checked the itunes and rebooted and AVAST then sandboxed that (which it hasn't done before) and the ipod service thingy.....

I have a feeling I should leave well alone as I really don't know how to come out of a situation if the PC starts mucking about and crashes big time (oh me of little faith)..

Re "an infection still running on the PC", yes I still think that and I still feel it's to do with AVG leftovers.  I know the "rogue" box doesn't come up anymore but I wonder if something from it is hiding in those 386 files with AVG in the name that are still here.

One point of interest.....hadn't thought to mention before, all the time AVG was on here windows didn't automatically do updates, as soon as I took AVG off the updates are coming in....how does that happen.... :-\

Bet you're all fed up with me...I might even go to the AVG forum and ask them what they think about all the files left...and then they might just tell me to ...s*d off lol...we shall see.

Thanks again.
Chrissie

Don\\'t go to sleep ANGRY!!!  Stay awake and plot your revenge......

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #77 on: June 29, 2011, 01:38:47 PM »

Hello again chrissie.. :)

That pop-up box about "system configuration utility"............I did mention two or three posts back that you would get that.  It is normal and to be expected. As I said before, when it comes up, just click ok and will go. You will get it only  on first boot since amending entries in msconfig
Pop back in there, uncheck the two entries for iPod and iTunes helper to stop them being sandboxed and click apply/ok out of that. On reboot you will get that pop-up again, just click ok and then forget it........it is a normal event.

Windows updates.......the change from AVG to Avast has altered a setting in your Control Panel Security Centre.
Go desktop>start button>control panel>security centre>automatic updates and in there disable the auto updates. click apply/ok out of that.

You won't do anything wrong or cause harm to your system by following steps you find on here...we won't allow you to do anything wrong.. :)

>>Bet you're all fed up with me<< ......nonsense ! don't you dare go to another forum... :whip:  ;D

Leave the AVG remnats and this possible infection thingy with us........TD will investigate and the right answer will be  found.. :fingers:

chrissie

• Kitizen
  • little sweetie
« Reply #78 on: July 01, 2011, 10:48:00 AM »

Hi TD thanks again, I'm still around - on and off (bogged down with life outside of tinternet  :D) so no worries about sorting atm.   :)

Chrissie

silversurfer44

• Kitizen
  • Lord Muck
    • Ben Novice Weather
« Reply #79 on: July 01, 2011, 11:24:50 AM »

There is another life ? :o
Colin II : It's no good being a pessimist, it wouldn't work anyway.

BritBrat

• Kitizen
« Reply #80 on: July 01, 2011, 08:59:11 PM »

Are you having a party?

chrissie

• Kitizen
  • little sweetie
« Reply #81 on: July 02, 2011, 03:55:41 PM »

There is another life ? :o

Well there seems to be one Colin and sometimes it beckons (more's the pity hehe)...sad life I lead  ;D

Are you having a party?

I'm not <shame>  but if you're going to offer BB....name the place and time....mine's a bottle of red wine after a couple of rums please  ;D ;D

AdrianH

« Reply #82 on: July 02, 2011, 06:14:34 PM »

Hi again chrissie.

Looking through your screenies of the msconfig startup tab.

I would take the check mark out of the item iTunesHelper

I can fine no reference to Python22Autobar on the net......do you have a program associated with that name or a similar name (I don't like the look of the wee h= after the name.
Maybe if you were to take the check mark out of that and see what happens.

I am very suspicious that there is still an infection running on the machine...that item E_S68 is very odd
Take the check mark out of that and see what happens...and on next boot up check to see if it is back.

Take the checks out click apply/ok out of that and reboot

Info on PYTHON.

Python is a coding language and may have been added by an application like HP printer, you do not need or want it.

By Googling python22  autobar with a space you get results.

>> a french forum >> http://forum.pcastuces.com/blocage_en_prenant__internet-f25s44689.htm

note the HiJack This log which contains the info

Code: [Select]
Python 2.2 combined Win32 extensions-->C:\Python22\Lib\SITE-P~1\UNWISE~1.EXE C:\Python22\Lib\SITE-P~1\w32inst.log
Python 2.2.1-->C:\Python22\UNWISE.EXE C:\Python22\INSTALL.LOG

Read the FAQ "Why have I got Python" >> http://docs.python.org/faq/installed.html

Hope that helps , the start up list Chrissie has there needs trimming right down, I have about 4 items in my list,everything else is on demand only.

Other entries at start up .........

WKCALREM

MS Works Calendar Reminder ........... if not in use get rid of it.

http://www.file.net/process/wkcalrem.exe.html

E_S68

http://www.malwareremoval.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=38752

qttask  quicktime .......... definitely not needed at start up.

jusched ........ Java ... not needed at start up.

WKuFind .......... Microsoft Picture It .... not needed at start up

The 4 hp entries under jusched are not needed at start up.

« Last Edit: July 02, 2011, 06:37:14 PM by AdrianH »

chrissie

• Kitizen
  • little sweetie
« Reply #83 on: July 02, 2011, 09:45:15 PM »

Hi Adrian

Many thanks for your advice, I've only ever had HP computers and laptop and though I don't know about other PC's HP seems to load bags of stuff on and I get fed up with their updates too.  I will have a look at the python thingy.  So it's ok for me to disable those things you've mentioned on the startup menu, I've always wanted to do that sort of thing but never been sure which ones I can tamper with  ;D  Thank you again,

Chrissie

AdrianH

« Reply #84 on: July 03, 2011, 07:32:18 AM »

Java update and how to turn off auto settings .....

http://www.java.com/en/download/help/java_update.xml#howto

E_S68    shows in your image as being in C:\Windows\System so we need to be careful with that one, when it is in a "temp" folder it appears to be malware, we need more detail on its location. Try stopping it and see what happens.

The "Python" entry can be shut down and then look for Python in Programs and Features, it should be listed so you can uninstall.

HP entires  .........

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/startups/hpsysdrv.exe-2046.html    (This one you may want to keep as it deals with system recovery, it is not essential but can be useful.)

hpsysdrv.exe

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/startups/hpcmpmgr.exe-1977.html

hpcmpmgr.exe

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/startups/hphupd05.exe-2026.html

hphupd05.exe

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/startups/hphmon05.exe-2023.html

hphmon05.exe

Any entry/file name in the start up list can be checked in Google, there are usually a list of results, Bleeping Computers is probably the easiest to understand and the most reliable.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]