Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Idiot needs help !!  (Read 2312 times)

razpag

• Reg Member
Idiot needs help !!
« on: June 27, 2011, 06:06:21 PM »

Hope you clever beggars can assist me on this ??

My wife's friend has got 'Vista 2012 security' on her laptop and it is causing havoc for her. After 'googling' about it, it shows as being something hackers have put together etc etc ....

I've spent a few hours trying to get rid of it and reading various ways, but the virus wont let me download any type of 'cleaner' and a little box pops up saying something about "Application blah blah". There were a set of manual instructions I found that required copying and pasting into 'Notebook' and then performing other quite scary stuff for a novice, but that got way above me after about line 3.

Can anybody please help and write a set of instructions for me to follow, and if you could please pretend I've just come out of the Amazonian rain forest and haven't got a clue about PC's, that would be great ??!!

Here's hoping. ;D

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
Re: Idiot needs help !!
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2011, 06:23:51 PM »

Have a look www.bleepingcomputers.com for instructions

razpag

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2011, 06:35:37 PM »

Hi Unc .... very quick response pal. Will have a look-see at that later thank you. Going to peruse my own personal stuff first, I've lots to do. Cheers ...  ;D

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2011, 06:36:17 PM »

You MIGHT get away with starting it in Safe mode with Networking then downloading Malwarebytes and scanning the system.
Alternatively System Restore back to before it arrived.

Both options should be accessible by hitting F8 during startup (be quick).

razpag

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2011, 07:06:52 PM »

Cheers for that HP. I've tried to get into System Restore, but that annoying little box keeps popping up and won't let me. I'm thinking it's probably been built into the programme/virus to stop people doing what you suggest. However, i wasn't aware of the F8 thingy. As I said to unc, I'll be having a look a little later. I do appreciate the help.

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2011, 07:30:11 PM »

Vista has a separate System Restore that can be run outside Windows. Can be a lifesaver unless the "nasty" has deleted the restore points.
First try in safe mode which has a good chance of working.
I don't recall all the menu options (bypassed Vista mostly) but it should be there under something like "fix my system" if you hit F8 or boot from the recovery disk.

razpag

• Reg Member
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2011, 06:11:10 PM »

Well, after a long and arduous few days, all is well. I really couldn't put my finger on what exactly got rid of this proper nasty virus, as all advice given on different sites just seemed to get rid of little bits of it ??!!

When it finally went completely, I couldn't open up IE or AVAST or any 'exe' files. I sound like I know what i'm on about there, but I didn't until I googled it. Got some great advice off a Microsoft forum and after tentativley going into 'DOS' and changing various things in exe. and exefile., everything is working brilliantly, if not better.

Thanks for all help given, the wife's pal will be chuffed. ;D