Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Author Topic: What AV to buy, what to do next? Update  (Read 21335 times)

chrissie

• Kitizen
  • little sweetie
What AV to buy, what to do next? Update
« on: June 19, 2011, 12:09:48 PM »

Hi again,

I’m not having much luck with sorting out my AVG2011 (bought version) see other thread relating to saga of it.  What I would now like to ask, is it easy-ish to uninstall this completely without knowledge of how to do it (scaredy cat here) and then buy another AV to install?   Would any of the Trojans and other nasties that Housecall and Malwarebytes picked up go with the uninstall and would the “rogue” renewal window for AVG go with it too?   I see I also have AVG08 and AVG10 files still in a folder on my PC and as I paid for a clean out and installation of new AVG2011 two years ago I thought the computer peeps might have removed those files.  Can I get rid of them?

Malwarebytes picked up this - KEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Ext\Stats\{549B5CA7-4A86-11D7-A4DF-000874180BB3} (Trojan.Agent)  and quarantined it (can I delete it now?).  

I was also wondering if Kaspersky antivirus and firewall would be the best for someone like me…are updates and support easy to obtain?  Other than that I don’t know which bought one (don’t want a free one) to have as I know Norton’s takes up a lot of resources but what else is there for a technofobe like me who hasn’t a clue how to configure the AV’s to their best?

Hope someone can help and thanks in advance for doing so.

Chrissie     :)

« Last Edit: June 21, 2011, 08:42:27 PM by chrissie »
Don\\'t go to sleep ANGRY!!!  Stay awake and plot your revenge......

silversurfer44

• Kitizen
  • Lord Muck
    • Ben Novice Weather
Re: What AV to buy, what to do next?
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2011, 12:29:53 PM »

Hi Chrissie, I wondered how you had got on.
I can't advise you on which av to install as I don't need one. As for the infections you have already, they will remain there even if you manage to uninstall all the AVG files. The infections need to be removed by a proper application, or someone who knows about such things.
Sorry to be the bearer of such gloom.
Maybe someone can suggest a website that could clean out the nasties, as I think they did in your last thread. You certainly need your system clearing of all the trojans and viruses before installing a new antivirus application.
Colin II : It's no good being a pessimist, it wouldn't work anyway.

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2011, 03:41:48 PM »

Hi Chrissie  :flower:

I have McAfee internet security on my pc (paid for version).I have had it for 4 years and has not caused me any problems at all.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B003ULO2BE/ref=s9_simh_gw_p65_d0_i1?pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=1WDKC80X09567GT8RKXB&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=467128533&pf_rd_i=468294

As for removing AVG completely from your pc..most of these security packages have their own removal tool

http://www.avg.com/us-en/utilities
« Last Edit: June 19, 2011, 03:44:25 PM by UncleUB »

silversurfer44

• Kitizen
  • Lord Muck
    • Ben Novice Weather
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2011, 05:07:15 PM »

One way to get rid of your problems is to install Linux and do away with Windows, Antivirus, trojans the lot.  ;D

AdrianH

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2011, 05:16:24 PM »

I would look at using Avast, it offers very good protection.   

Linux is good if you are confident but it is not exploit free as many suggest and more malware is being directed at Linux/OSX et al.

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2011, 06:40:26 PM »

One way to get rid of your problems is to install Linux and do away with Windows, Antivirus, trojans the lot.  ;D

You can stop that nonsense right now Pingu  :D

Seriously though I think all Chrissie wants is to pay a few pounds a year and get an easy to use,as trouble free as possible security suite,which has excellent technical support and doesn't hog resources..

Comments on a postcard please................ :)

silversurfer44

• Kitizen
  • Lord Muck
    • Ben Novice Weather
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2011, 07:20:09 PM »

Seriously, I understand fully what is wanted, getting one is another thing.
Unfortunately Chrissie has got herself some nasties, how many we don't know. What the (cough, cough) support people at Grisoft don't understand is how knowledgeable Chrissie is. Without being rude, you could put that knowledge on the stamp on the post card.
It is in the interest of any company that provides an antivirus service that they find out what the virus/trojan is on Chrissie's computer, so they can take action against it.
Now unless Grisoft or any other support staff are prepared to give clear instructions to Chrissie then both ends are on a loser.
My advice to you Chrissie is to take your PC to a reputable repairers and pay for them to rid you of the nasties that you have. Otherwise I can see you getting more and more frustrated with this. There is no easy way round for you that I can see.
All the applications mentioned so far are good, well used by the individuals that recommend them. However, if you put any of the AV programmes in your computer as it is now will be wasting your time and money. Get it cleared of any nasties and then put in another AV programme.

I have my serious caring head on at the moment. :)

Colin No.2

razpag

• Reg Member
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2011, 07:37:36 PM »

I don't think we're running a major banking consortium from this DG, or keeping tags on the latest terrorist movements. Surely to god a simple FREE AV like AVAST will suffice ????

Most people I know who use a PC/Laptop for basic use employ the same (similar) FREE AV's.

BritBrat

• Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2011, 09:02:47 PM »

If it was me:

I would backup all data I would not like to lose.

Then I would format and reinstall a fresh clean copy of Windows.

Install any drivers required to get it up and running (do not go on the internet)

Then reboot machine.

Install an antivirus/firewall.

Go on internet and download all microsoft updates.

Then start installing any other programes you use.

In the long run this is the quickest and best way to ensure you have a totally clean machine.

Then make a Ghost image or some other form of disc image and save it in a safe place, then next time you need to reformat it will only take a very short time (30mins) to be back with a clean machine, after saving any data as in the first part.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2011, 09:06:58 PM by BritBrat »

chrissie

• Kitizen
  • little sweetie
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2011, 09:50:41 PM »

Hi you lovely guys.

Thank you all so much for your understanding and good advice/comments.  I think Colin2 has it in one...I don't know much at all about computers tho will try to do things if I can.  If only AVG techies would answer my mail it would seriously help me.  I have asked them several times if I can block the AVGINSTALLEDAPPX.EXE from the firewall... they haven't answered.  I asked if I can delete the AVG08 and AVG10 files that I've found in a folder on my PC (after the paid techies installed AVG 2011 for me)...again no answer.  I have also asked what the YSIGNU~1.exe is...no answer yet this would help me so much if they could explain it all AND tell me what the box is that is coming up which I cannot get rid of...I sent them a screen shot of it and no reply.

@BritBrat - sorry mate but for me to even consider reformatting is alien to me....wouldn't even attempt it without a trusty techy by my side....it's not for me I'm a computer coward, will do some things but others are a no no...wouldn't even know where to start, but thanks for your advice.  It's a case of "if only"....

All I want is to get rid of the nasties...even try to get rid of the rogue box but if AVG won't/can't tell me what it is...what ruddy chance do I stand  :(

I just need a good AV that will do the biz without giving me grief and lets me get on with the day to day things I want to do...but at this point in time it's not in sight....I think I will have to do what Colin suggests...(once again pay)....pay someone to do the stuff for me and get it sorted...scream,.  Unless you know differently lol.

Chrissie

geep

• Reg Member
    • My ST546 Statistics
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2011, 10:49:32 AM »

Hi,

I'd never thought I'd say it - but on this occasion I would recommend Microsoft - and it's free. http://www.microsoft.com/nz/digitallife/security/microsoft-security-essentials.mspx It's what I've installed on my Windows 7, though I confess I still have AVG on Win XP.

If the machine is suspect then doing a clean reinstall is a good idea. Most modern machines allow you to reinstall to factory settings from a "hidden" backup partition. The documentation with the PC might be clear enough to explain what to do. I've had good experience reinstalling on a Dell - their instructions were fairly clear.

If you do decide to reinstall Windows, then you could perhaps first remove your existing virus checker and do a trial installation of your chosen future virus checker, just to checkout that you understand how to install it and get a feel for it.

Cheers,
Peter

geep

• Reg Member
    • My ST546 Statistics
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2011, 10:59:31 AM »

Just another thought - don't know if it's already been mentioned. I support family members remotely via logmein.com https://secure.logmein.com/UK/
When there's a problem I get a phone call and then log on to their machine and can usually fix the problems. Don't know if others would agree, or even offer to help directly in this way?

Cheers,
Peter

chrissie

• Kitizen
  • little sweetie
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2011, 08:41:57 PM »

Hiya   :)

Just an update on state of play atm and to thank everyone for their suggestions and help here it’s more than appreciated.

Yesterday AVG emailed me to say they wanted me to copy some log files from the computer and the AVG config log and sent me the links to download the tools.  I managed to do as per their instructions and all went well and message came up saying “successfully sent”.  This morning I emailed them to say I had done it and send and rec’d a mail back saying they hadn’t rec’d it!!!!   So, in same mail they then said to download their diagnostic tool which I did, also their automatic one click fix tool – again I did that.  Ran it as per their instructions and up came a screen, “You don’t have AVG installed on this computer, please install before you use this”  and a button to quit on.  SCREAM.   So I emailed them with a screenshot of the box to prove it happened and told them it wouldn’t let me do it and I’ve heard nothing where they have been getting back to me within an hour – I mailed them over 7 hours ago now.

So I give up.  They haven’t told me what the rogue box is despite having screenshots of it and they won’t give me any info on what the problem could be (or if there is one).  I am fuming because they look as tho they want to help but don’t follow through when needed.

As Colin2 said, best that I get someone to look into it (hope they don’t rip me off either) and try to sort it that way.

Thanks again for your help you have been great.

Chrissie

BritBrat

• Kitizen
Re: What AV to buy, what to do next? Update
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2011, 09:06:22 PM »

There is another more expensive way with little to no risk.

Buy a new hardrive and swap out the one you have and have a go at a format new instalion if you fail take out the new drive and put the old one back in. You wont be able to do a Dell restore as that is stored in a hidden partion on the hard drive so you would need a copy of windows and a product key.

I was like you once but trust me it is really easy and once you have done it you will wonder why you were so scared, the main things you need if not using the Dell restore partition is to have all the drivers to hand on a DVD/CD or some other local hardware storage.

Where do you live?

If you intend to take it to a shop give the Dell restore a go first, after all what do you have to lose? so long as you have backed up any data you would not like to lose like photos or music.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2011, 09:15:31 PM by BritBrat »

chrissie

• Kitizen
  • little sweetie
Re: What AV to buy, what to do next? Update
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2011, 11:10:56 PM »

Hi BB

Thanks for your advice.  I don't have a Dell computer it's HP.  I not only don't have the confidence to do the things you mention unfortunately but with ill health, hosp and doc appts I don't have the wherewithal/stamina nor anyone I could call on that might help me either   :(   ...now when I was younger.... :D  I would probably have a go with an old PC over months just to see what it is like to try something like that, but not with my liccle PC who is ok apart from having AVG messed it up, but I appreciate your help that's for sure.  Thank you.

Chrissie
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6