Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Continuing Internet Problems  (Read 7454 times)

jdowning640

Re: Continuing Internet Problems
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2011, 12:53:42 AM »

Hey Mick,

Thanks very much for your help again.

It does seem to be that every time a download starts, the latency spikes up.

See - the thing is... all my latency and ping tests are running fine. The latency is showing up at around 1-2ms from my computer to the modem, then around 30ms to an entanet location, it's just everyone elses thinkbroadband quality monitor shows up as having maybe 1ms maximum latency yet mine spikes well into its 100s, nearly 1000s sometimes.

Mick

• Reg Member
« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2011, 06:56:24 AM »

It does seem to be that every time a download starts, the latency spikes up.

That is normal I'm afraid.  You would expect latency to increase - unless you were applying QoS on the packets that monitored latency.  Think about it:  would you rather your download took priority over some ICMP packets or the other way around?

The router throughput also plays some role here.  Some routers are better than others in queuing and processing packets.  Unless you're paying £250 or more to buy a commercial grade router its switching capability may present a bottleneck under load.  Most of the retail grade home routers are capacity constrained.

See - the thing is... all my latency and ping tests are running fine. The latency is showing up at around 1-2ms from my computer to the modem, then around 30ms to an entanet location, it's just everyone elses thinkbroadband quality monitor shows up as having maybe 1ms maximum latency yet mine spikes well into its 100s, nearly 1000s sometimes.

Where is the thinkbroadband router located?  1ms is impossible for a WAN connection - do you mean 10ms?  As I said it would take 20-30ms to get to your ISP's gateway if you have Interleaving switched on.  Pinging servers in the US would take more than 100ms.  Ping responses of 1000ms definitely indicate a problem.

If you want to run VoIP then you'll *have* to implement QoS on RTP packets.

HTH.
Regards,
Mick

jdowning640

« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2011, 11:38:07 AM »

Sorry, I meant from my computer to my modem is around 1ms, then to thinkbroadband it's around 35ms.

I have got QoS set up on a Linksys WAG354G, but the thing is... I don't download enough but really what I'm wanting to know is why the 'maximum latency' is so high - what is 'maximum latency' and how do I get rid of it?

Mick

• Reg Member
« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2011, 06:52:28 PM »

Latency = time delay

Maximum latency = maximum time delay

When we're talking about time, we mean the time that it takes for a packet to travel from the thinkbroadband firebrick to your router (ping) and then from your router back to the thinkbroadband firebrick (pong).

This delay is variable during the normal operation of a network because the Internet connection is used for all sort of things (e.g. downloads/uploads) besides the ICMP packets which are used here for measuring the time delay (latency) between the thinkbroadband router and your router.

The ICMP packets are small and usually fit in the connection without too much trouble.  However, if the connection is congested because there are already too many packets trying to use it at a particular moment, then some of the ICMP packets will have to queue up and wait for their turn to use the connection.  This is what is causing the "maximum latency".

The question is what is causing the congestion in your Internet connection.  Here's some suggestions:

1. The remote server/router you are measuring your latency against, is busy.
2. Your ISP's network is busy (because they have not purchased enough capacity and at busy times things slow down).
3. Your ISP is applying traffic shaping and purposefully slow down certain types of packets (usually at busy times).
4. Your router's throughput is poor, because its chipset and memory are inadequate for full blast packet processing.
5. Your network hardware has connectivity problems, e.g. faulty ethernet cable, faulty NIC.
6. You're using wireless which is patchy and not operating at full capacity, or it is being shared at the time with other PCs.

It could be a combination of any of the above.

Regards,
Mick

jeffbb

• Kitizen
« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2011, 10:35:21 PM »

Hi

It might be worth trying Ping / Tracert to help with locating the cause of problem .Info on    latency . and how to check .

Hope this helps

Regards Jeff
zen user

jdowning640

« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2011, 11:51:28 AM »

Hi Jeff,

See that's the thing - all the traceroutes and pings show up fine however it's this maximum latency along with really poor VoIP calls and they are very delayed. I'm not using any other download activity when this happens.

Jack

Hi

It might be worth trying Ping / Tracert to help with locating the cause of problem .Info on    latency . and how to check .

Hope this helps

Regards Jeff

Shoei

« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2011, 11:22:07 PM »

If you're experiencing high latency you could try a tool like VisualRoute. It's a bit more usable than command prompt tools and it'll indicate the latency of each hop between you and the server, so you can see where any delay is coming from.

It's not free software but you can get a free 15 day trial which would be enough for you to see what's going on.

http://www.softpedia.com/get/Network-Tools/Traceroute-Whois-Tools/VisualRoute.shtml

jdowning640

« Reply #22 on: June 27, 2011, 12:59:36 PM »

Hi there - when I tried VisualRoute online a load of weeks back, it gave the same result as I got just now for the BBC.co.uk website & it shows the same with nearly all websites.

Only problem was:

"The DNS lookup time was 1172ms, which is relatively slow. There could be problems with the DNS server on the originating network."

I can't figure out how to fix that - I've changed my DNS servers more than two-3 times.

Shoei

« Reply #23 on: June 27, 2011, 03:32:26 PM »

Hi,

Sorry about that, if I'd read your OP more carefully I'd have seen that you'd already tried VisualRoute without it helping much.

As I understand it the problem is network latency making VoIP unusable, I don't have much experience of this but I did help set up a Trixbox VoIP PABX once and that threw up some issues.

First one is the service provider, we used Zen and when we signed up for their VoIP service they gave us an alternative ADSL login which prioritised VoIP traffic.

The router can make a difference, routers such as the Vigor products are designed for VoIP and have QOS prioritisation for VoIP traffic.

When all else failed we found Zen very helpful. They set up a session where we made calls and they looked at the diagnostic information to see where the problems were. That chased out the final issues.

For the PABX we implemented a separate network in the building so none of the switches were carrying regular internet traffic.

In the end it worked well, it was through one ADSL connection though so heavy downloads could cause the odd hiccup in speech.

jdowning640

« Reply #24 on: July 02, 2011, 02:00:48 AM »

Hi,

Sorry about that, if I'd read your OP more carefully I'd have seen that you'd already tried VisualRoute without it helping much.

As I understand it the problem is network latency making VoIP unusable, I don't have much experience of this but I did help set up a Trixbox VoIP PABX once and that threw up some issues.

First one is the service provider, we used Zen and when we signed up for their VoIP service they gave us an alternative ADSL login which prioritised VoIP traffic.

The router can make a difference, routers such as the Vigor products are designed for VoIP and have QOS prioritisation for VoIP traffic.

When all else failed we found Zen very helpful. They set up a session where we made calls and they looked at the diagnostic information to see where the problems were. That chased out the final issues.

For the PABX we implemented a separate network in the building so none of the switches were carrying regular internet traffic.

In the end it worked well, it was through one ADSL connection though so heavy downloads could cause the odd hiccup in speech.

Hi there - I've definitely ruled out everything. It's on all VoIP providers I've tried, tried with no downloads, just the VoIP, tried plenty of new modems, routers etc.

:@

Mick

• Reg Member
« Reply #25 on: July 02, 2011, 09:04:00 AM »

Which VoIP providers did you try?

Which modem and routers did you try?

Who is your ISP?

Can you please print your router stats and the result of ifconfig (please obfuscate your WAN IP address in case it is shown in the results).
Regards,
Mick
Pages: 1 [2]

anything