Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Very slow internet  (Read 11072 times)

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
Re: Very slow internet
« Reply #30 on: June 03, 2011, 11:34:14 AM »

That's OK Phil. The Opera site is hosted in Norway, whereas the other two are in the UK.

I didn't know that Eric,thanks. :)

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #31 on: June 03, 2011, 03:13:12 PM »

:thumbs: :clap: :clap2: :dance:

Woowoo...........back again and all is zipping along at top speed ...

Did a tracert, and got a transit error report 31.........don't know really what that means so did a bit of googling which suggested a corrupted ethernet driver ( although why such a thing should affect only some sites ) and after much driver installing, system restores etc. all seems well again.
I'm not sure exactly what I have done, but at least it is working again............hope it keep doing so.

Thank you all for the comments and advices.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #32 on: June 03, 2011, 03:17:03 PM »

Terrific! Well done TD. :) :thumbs:
  Eric

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #33 on: June 03, 2011, 03:19:08 PM »

Well done TD,great bit of detective work  :thumbs:

Hope all remains well  :fingers:

« Last Edit: June 04, 2011, 05:36:42 PM by UncleUB »

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #34 on: June 04, 2011, 07:49:36 AM »

Well, about half and hour after my last post yesterday, my connection went down again..........and did not reappear until this am.  :(

To be honest I don't think all my efforts were to any avail, and no doubt those of you more aware of these things than TD
will have realised by now that TD is talking nonsense.

This is quoted from the Virgin Media service status page..........and is probably the cause of all the problems........if not, it is
some coincidence that two seperate issues flattened my internet at one and the same time.

I think I can thank Virgin for my woes.

" Service is running slowly, or has intermittent problems
Slow and intermittent browsing
03/06/11@14:51
Virgin Media are currently experiencing intermittent routing issues. Some customers may experience slow-loading web
pages or timeouts when visiting websites or using internet applications. Due to the intermittent nature of this fault,
customers should still be able to use their broadband service as normal, but may need to refresh pages or services that
have stalled to complete loading."

So all my fiddling was a waste of time and effort... :-X

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #35 on: June 04, 2011, 08:03:55 AM »

Virgin Media's handling of this doesn't exactly impress, does it? You got poor (or no) information from them, and ended up trying the DIY approach. If you were talking nonsense, then you weren't the only one. ;D

Eric

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #36 on: June 04, 2011, 08:11:14 AM »

I think some time ago TD mentioned about getting shut of Virgin and going with a better isp who has knowledgeable UK support staff who can answer your query promptly and keep you updated of any problems

Perhaps its time for change..........

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #37 on: June 04, 2011, 09:20:33 AM »

You are quite right, unkyUb.....I should switch providers. I have been avoiding that thinking of the hassle involved, but the hassle of the frequent breakdowns is getting even more onerous.

On reflection, I don't think Virgin caused the outage.......toulouse posted the answer here ... and I should have taken that onboard. Thanks, toulouse, and sorry for not heeding your comments at the time.
Don't know if this is relevant to TDs problemette, but Plusnet have been advising users of a BT Matter Beyond Our Reasonable Control (MBORC) - what a load of nancies !!!!! caused by adverse weather apparently - which is supposedly affecting North East and South West Scotland.

I'm in Weston super Mare using O2 as my primary and Plusnet as a secondary connection - a long, long story !!!

toulouse

As stated by roseway, the Virgin fault lies in it's poor customer service as regards information, or lack of it.

Will now investigate other providers........there is no LLU facility on my exchange, so will have to go with a "normal" ISP.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #38 on: June 04, 2011, 10:17:24 AM »

Changing ISP doesn't really involve any hassle at all, so long as you move to a decent one. You ask your present ISP for a MAC number, and give it to the new ISP when you sign up with them. After that it's all handled by the new ISP. It's worth choosing your timing, so that the crossover period isn't too extended, but the worst that should happen is that you'll be paying them both for a couple of weeks.
  Eric

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #39 on: June 04, 2011, 10:31:55 AM »

Will now investigate other providers........there is no LLU facility on my exchange, so will have to go with a "normal" ISP.

Well a couple of good ones spring to mind....Zen and Newnet

I think Zen would be a good choice as this forum is frequented by Zen supports staff (Azzaka) and I think many others have good knowledge of this isp(these are only my opinions of course) :)

AdrianH

« Reply #40 on: June 04, 2011, 11:42:18 AM »

There have been so many major outages and issues this last few days, 6+ across the Midlands,  then Yorkshire, Scotland  and lastly Shetland, combined these would have undoubtedly caused routing issues and problems even if a specific ISP had no problems of their own.

I noticed that despite complaints of poor performance last week at several ISP's hardly any mentioned the listed issues at all.

Oranged

• Reg Member
    • The Mobile Help Forum
« Reply #41 on: June 04, 2011, 04:18:33 PM »

TD is with Virgin (not cable) irrc. :)

Seems that Virgin have router problems which is/was affecting loading of certain websites.

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Fibre-optic-broadband-cable/Confirmed-Server-Router-Issues/td-p/528509

Not sure if this is Virgin cable only or whether it would also affect Virgin National

@TD........you must have missed this suggestion I made on Friday morning  :doh:

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #42 on: June 04, 2011, 05:02:25 PM »

I did miss that, Oranged.........sorry..........but it does explain a lot and thanks for posting.  :)

jeffbb

• Kitizen
« Reply #43 on: June 04, 2011, 09:34:17 PM »

Hi
quote Well a couple of good ones spring to mind....Zen and Newnet

I would certainly endorse Zen . When I had problems They were excellent with their help.

And the actual throughput I get is consistently above 90% of my Profile .

Regards Jeff
zen user
Pages: 1 2 [3]