Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Adsl router and DECT phone noise  (Read 7785 times)

longshanks

• Just arrived
Adsl router and DECT phone noise
« on: June 16, 2011, 11:00:01 AM »

Hi,
My problem is phone noise, I use a Netgear DG 834 G Ver 4 router with the wireless disabled hard wired only, I also have a standard  phone as an extension by my pc. The main house phone is a panasonic cordless DECT with the base unit downstairs away from the router and double filtered. Phone calls taken on the standard wired phone are clear and ok, when the dect phones are used there is a type of garbled hiss over the speech weather it is an incoming or outgoing call, if I switch the router off the problem goes away. I have tried another router of the same brand and model but the problem remains. I have run out of idea's, can anyone help please?.
Is it a good idea to turn off the router when pc is not in use? I was told that this can muck up my settings at the telephone exchange.
regards
Brian

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: Adsl router and DECT phone noise
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2011, 11:50:42 AM »

Hi and welcome,

To answer your last question first, although routers are designed to be left running continuously, there's no reason why you shouldn't turn yours off when it isn't being used, so long as you don't do this too frequently (e.g. more than once an hour). The danger with switching it on and off frequently is that DLM might interpret this as an unstable connection, which could result in your target noise margin being raised to stabilise it, which would reduce your connection speed. But this would normally require several interruptions in an hour, so once an hour or less shouldn't cause any problem.

However, all this shouldn't be necessary. As your DECT phone is double filtered, and your router's wireless interface is disabled, all should be well. Possible things to look at are:

- Does the standard corded phone show this noise effect when plugged into the socket used by the DECT phone?
- Do you have some different types of filter which you could try for the DECT phone?
- Is there any possibility of trying a completely different model of router?
  Eric

jeffbb

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2011, 07:25:13 PM »

Hi
One other  thing to bear in mind if you switch off is that when switching on you may or may not get the optimum synch rate . If for example you only switch back on during busy periods .

Regards Jeff
zen user

razpag

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2011, 09:55:04 AM »

I personally wouldn't switch off.

We affectionately call it 'Old dears syndrome', whereby Granny Smith turns off every single electrical item in the house, when she retires to bed of an evening. When she awakes, she turns everything back on again.

In my experience, I've found that the DLM tends to put up with it for roughly 4-6 weeks by steadily dropping the synch/throughput, or both (depending on what product you are on) , then eventually effect a sticky B-RAS of 125Kbps.

Only my opinion, but turning the router/Hub off on a regular basis only serves to eventually hinder the speed. 

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2011, 10:29:52 AM »

I can't agree with the above, I'm afraid. For the first few years of broadband in the UK, nearly everyone used a USB modem, which of course disconnected when the PC was powered down. DLM was designed to accommodate this way of working, without interpreting it as instability. In the case of routers, most support the "dying gasp" protocol, which informs DLM that the event is a power down and not a loss of sync. Lots of people turn their routers off at night with no untoward effects.

If someone's connection ended up at 125 kbit/s it would have been caused by a significant problem with the connection, and not the result of switching off the router from time to time.
  Eric

waltergmw

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2011, 11:27:35 AM »

Gentlefolk,

However I hope we can all agree that if a modem resynchronises in a period of higher noise e.g. perhaps late at night or very early in the morning, then the sync rate will probably be lower than it might otherwise be.

Another aspect on some of our rural "jewels in the crown" is that they can, in intermittent fault conditions, take anything up to about 30 minutes to synchronise.
Strangely (and well done BT !) on 21CN Infineon ccts still on ADSL1 connections they do eventually sync at remarkably good rates but sometimes with high CRC errors.

The picture below shows 10 minutes trying to sync (and before I wanted it to authenticate).

Kind regards,
Walter

[attachment deleted by admin]

razpag

• Reg Member
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2011, 12:49:49 PM »

Eric, one of the first things discussed when having co-op calls with SP's, is about whether the EU turns their Hub/Router off every evening. It is widely acknowledged by both the SP's and the OR engineers to have a detrimental effect on speed issues.

Most Hubs/Routers are NOT now USB powered.

razpag

• Reg Member
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2011, 12:55:48 PM »

PS .... just thinking out loud, but 'back in the day' when BB was first introduced into the market place, it was all fixed-rate wasn't it ?? As such, was there actually a DLM in place ?? Did that not come along when the rate-adaptive products were launched ????

I'm not telling, more enquiring, as I didn't do Broadband faults back when fixed-rate was all one could have. 

longshanks

• Just arrived
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2011, 05:00:31 PM »

Many thanks for all replies,
I am but a relative novice in using routers so please accept some ignorance on my behalf. What is DLM? and to answer one of the Q's, I am not in a position to try out another brand of router as I stated in op I have two Netgear DG 834G routers one used and one as a spare of which I have already tried as a substitute.

razpag

• Reg Member
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2011, 05:04:26 PM »

DLM is Dynamic Line Manager .......... as far as i'm aware, it's only applied to 'Rate-adaptive' products, but as per post above, am awaiting feedback from members.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2011, 06:31:11 PM »

b*cat is undecided as to whether to smile  :)  or to raise his fur, hiss, spit and swipe with exposed claws  >:(  in RP's direction!

Why? Because it seems that b*cat is classified as an "Old dear", "Granny Smith" by Mr Pag and his colleagues!  ::)
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2011, 06:41:43 PM »

What is DLM?

Dynamic Line Management - see this page for a technical explanation, but broadly speaking, it's the process running in the exchange which controls the parameters of the connection which you have with the exchange. If your connection is unstable, DLM will increase the target noise margin, which has the effect of reducing the connection speed and making the connection more stable.
  Eric

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2011, 06:48:12 PM »

There are some general issues here which I want to discuss further, but in a separate thread so as not to divert attention from longshanks' problem. In respect of the latter, does anyone have more ideas about the noise on the DECT phone?
  Eric

razpag

• Reg Member
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2011, 06:48:41 PM »

The link is fine Eric , but .................

I can't agree with the above, I'm afraid. For the first few years of broadband in the UK, nearly everyone used a USB modem, which of course disconnected when the PC was powered down. DLM was designed to accommodate this way of working, without interpreting it as instability. In the case of routers, most support the "dying gasp" protocol, which informs DLM that the event is a power down and not a loss of sync. Lots of people turn their routers off at night with no untoward effects.

If someone's connection ended up at 125 kbit/s it would have been caused by a significant problem with the connection, and not the result of switching off the router from time to time.

It doesn't answer the question about DLM being prevalent in the early years of fixed-rate broadband. I still re-iterate that if you regularly switch your router/Hub off, you WILL experience very poor speeds eventually.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2011, 06:54:45 PM »

@razpag: as I indicated above, I do want to discuss this issue further, but in a separate thread please.
  Eric
Pages: [1] 2

anything