Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Death In The Digital Age !  (Read 2965 times)

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
Death In The Digital Age !
« on: October 10, 2013, 12:56:15 AM »

I often thought about what happens to all your on-line data when you die  :o
What if your are the owner of a website or have files on the 'cloud' or all your photo's stored on line ?.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-24380211
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

renluop

• Kitizen
Re: Death In The Digital Age !
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2013, 07:09:06 AM »

The "companies' attitudes ( for want of a better word) ISTM go against the principle that the Executor/Administrator has ownership and control of the deceased's assets.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2013, 07:18:49 AM »

I like the idea of a digital will, but it is of course an enormous security risk in itself. I don't think I'm prepared to entrust all my confidential information to any third party in the 'cloud'. Leaving a sealed envelope with a solicitor, to be passed on to my daughter in the event of my death, sounds like a much safer option (although rather cumbersome to keep updated).
  Eric

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2013, 07:33:51 AM »

I'm with Eric on that. I like to think I've embraced technology and take advantage of it where possible, but when it comes down to my last will and testament ??? Nah !!.  :)

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2013, 06:17:59 PM »

I have a proper, paper-based, document kept in secure fire-proof storage by my legal representatives.

With regards to other places, such as this forum, when b*cat becomes an ex-kitteh the information will, in due course, be know by osmosis.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2013, 06:51:44 PM »

The "companies' attitudes ( for want of a better word) ISTM go against the principle that the Executor/Administrator has ownership and control of the deceased's assets.
I suspect a major problem is jurisdiction, in that many/most of these companies/services are in another country (e.g. USA) so will take no notice whatsoever of UK legal enforcement, unless there is a treaty specifically covering the issue.

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2013, 08:24:57 PM »

I have a proper, paper-based, document kept in secure fire-proof storage by my legal representatives.

I hope they look after it better than our solicitor looked after our house deeds !, I wanted to have a look at details of the boundary and they said they could not find them and were lost  >:(  >:D  .

On our local radio station the other day someone was promoting a 'QR' code to put on your grave stone then that directed you to website with all details and video's about your life that you would upload before it was needed for a small sum  ££££ :bye:
So anyone could see all about you when you have gone  :(
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2013, 08:43:57 PM »

<snip> I wanted to have a look at details of the boundary and they said they could not find them and were lost  >:(  >:D  .

Someone has clearly committed a significant folly.  :o
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.