Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: I've been a silly......  (Read 6896 times)

renluop

• Kitizen
I've been a silly......
« on: June 12, 2011, 10:09:47 AM »

I've tried unsuccessfully to install a Windows Service Pack for win 7 64bit but it failed several times. For details see attachment.

Somewhat frustrated I found a link to http://www.wikihow.com/Uninstall-All-Windows-Updates and tried that, but still the install failed.

I merged the old and new Software Distribution folders, having met other problems, but it did nothing to get back to complete normal, though updates like Office's are there.

I think I may have somehow partially damaged Windows and need to repair it, but Dell in their wisdom :'( did not supply a recovery disk, and in my foolishness did not make one. :-[

Sys Res does not work as "selected backup could not be found" for all available points  attempts to prior updating Windows

Files and Programs have been backed up.

Suggestions, please, what to do next!!

Sys: Dell Inspiron 560MT; Windows 7 64 Home Premium
Dell CDs held:
Dell Drivers and Utilities already on computer
NVidia ditto

[attachment deleted by admin]

AdrianH

Re: I've been a silly......
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2011, 10:46:39 AM »

Your system "should" have created a restore point prior to the Service pack running. There "should" be a complete set of files in a temp folder.

If you have no recovery disc you may be in trouble, Dell most cetainly should have supplied one and I would be phoning them for a copy.

Have you tried "Safe Mode" and "Last Known Good" as an option?

There are several Win7 sites availabe, I have used this one   http://www.w7forums.com/

2 more here       http://www.sevenforums.com/     +   http://windows7forums.com/

Once sorted do make use of the excellent back up,rescue and image systems supplied within Win7, I keep rescue discs ,full backups and image every week to an external drive.

I wonder if you did not have some flaws in the system as Win7 will normally self heal after a failed update/error. The screen may go black for some time but if left alone Win 7 is capable of rolling back without prompting.

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2011, 11:33:10 AM »

In my Archimedes mode a.k.a soaking in the bath ;) I've actually began to wonder, if I may have panicked.

Before I follow suggestions in case I have indeed panicked, please tell me.

Is there any way to test Windows' for faults built in to Win7?

As to actual failed installation of Win7 SP1 ( 64 bit), are there any suggestions on that alone?

AdrianH

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2011, 11:46:33 AM »

You can run chkdsk which should tell you what if anythig is missing /corrupt.

Start menu > Command prompt as administrator > type in SFC/ scannow  .

The service pack may have been affected by corrupt OS or your AV system , system restore for example will fail with Avast's self defense in place.

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2011, 12:13:03 PM »

Do Dell not generally put a recovery partition onto the HDD ?

AdrianH

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2011, 12:58:20 PM »

Do Dell not generally put a recovery partition onto the HDD ?

They do TD, whether you can use it without a disc is another matter.  You can run check disc from the drive in Vista onwards, no need for the intsall disc as the files are kept with the OS so that "should" help.

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2011, 01:56:21 PM »

To access recovery partition....

Quote..
"You can access your Dell’s recovery partition by pressing Ctrl+F11 when the machine is first turned on. The appropriate time to do this is almost immediately after the power button is pressed. A small message is usually displayed that offers to let you enter the BIOS (usually F2 on newer Dells) or go to the boot menu. "

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2011, 04:16:20 PM »

A small message is usually displayed that offers to let you enter the BIOS (usually F2 on newer Dells) . . .

It is F12 on my Dell Latitude E5500. ;)
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2011, 07:28:47 AM »

Having trouble with anything that involves pressing keys at boot. Whatever I do, keep tapping, keep pressing, stop tapping or pressing ,before or when Dell screen appears, Windows starts loading. :'( ::) >:D >:(

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2011, 04:41:23 PM »

Having trouble with anything that involves pressing keys at boot. Whatever I do, keep tapping, keep pressing, stop tapping or pressing ,before or when Dell screen appears, Windows starts loading. :'(  ::)  >:D  >:(
:hmm:

As far as I can recall, Dell have only ever used either the Escape, F2 or F12 keys. What I would suggest you do is hold down the key, power up the system and continue to hold down the chosen key until you get a "beep of complaint". ;)

Of course, you could post the model name of the particular Dell system you have -- someone may know, from personal experience, the particular incantation so required . . . ;D
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Pwiggler

• Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2011, 09:31:19 AM »

hi renluop

turn ya dell on and start tapping F8, when the advanced boot menu appears, look for 'repair your computer' at the top and select it, then follow the onscreen prompts.

Paul

Pwiggler

• Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2011, 10:53:01 PM »

any luck?

Paul

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2011, 07:33:19 AM »

Other problems so ATM it's a Roundtuit in my diary. :)

anything