Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11

Author Topic: Can Incoming calls affect ADSL Router?  (Read 40354 times)

Archie

Re: Can Incoming calls affect ADSL Router?
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2011, 09:23:17 PM »

Thanks, Jeffbb.  You're right.  It's never too late.

Archie.

Archie

« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2011, 09:28:37 PM »

Thanks razpag.  Much appreciated.  :)

Archie

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2011, 01:40:30 PM »

Thank you for the other information you have provided, Archie. Although I have never been employed by a "network infrastructure provider" ;), I asked for that information so that everything would be available for those suitably qualified. And in my absence, RP has joined this thread. :)

Mr Pag, Would I probably be correct in assuming this issue is most likely to be the result of a corroded / HR joint somewhere between the EU and the exchange?
« Last Edit: June 09, 2011, 02:22:42 PM by burakkucat »
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Archie

« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2011, 02:47:12 PM »

Thanks, Burakkucat.  I thought you were having a serious contemplation on this issue, hence the delay!!  ;)

I await RP's confirmation of your diagnosis.

Regards,
Archie

razpag

• Reg Member
« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2011, 04:15:07 PM »

Thank you for the other information you have provided, Archie. Although I have never been employed by a "network infrastructure provider" ;), I asked for that information so that everything would be available for those suitably qualified. And in my absence, RP has joined this thread. :)

Mr Pag, Would I probably be correct in assuming this issue is most likely to be the result of a corroded / HR joint somewhere between the EU and the exchange?

Busy as, so very, very, very quick answer. This type of fault is usually a HR (corrosion fault. It can however be down to wrong filtering, SP's exchange equipment and a whole variety of other network type faults, like spilt pairs, in contact with non-workers etc etc etc.

We should have an answer soon from Archie though.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #20 on: June 09, 2011, 11:41:38 PM »

Archie, When the OR man (or woman) calls, ensure that a mug of tea or coffee, along with biscuits or even a bacon sandwich is offered. Then don't forget to ask for an explanation of the fault (hopefully found & fixed) before he (she) departs.

I know I'm not the only person here with an interest in "cabinets, holes, poles and wires therein / attached thereto".   ::)

Archie

« Reply #21 on: June 10, 2011, 12:01:32 AM »

Busy as, so very, very, very quick answer. This type of fault is usually a HR (corrosion fault. It can however be down to wrong filtering, SP's exchange equipment and a whole variety of other network type faults, like spilt pairs, in contact with non-workers etc etc etc.

Thanks razpag.  Had morning appointment for Boost Engineer.  But he was busy elsewhere.  So, appointment moved to pm.  Arrived quite late.  Done exactly as suggested on this forum.  A cup of Tea and then explained the types of dropouts I experienced, which he did not have any details of.  Also mentioned possible Corroded/HR on the line.  :)

Drop occurred, when he was testing, so that goes to prove that I wasn't imagining the fault.  Job left as incomplete.  He will check out the D side at the cabinet with 63dB load and then he will move on to E side with 63dB load and he will also look at the line-board.  He has promised that he will keep me posted and also he suggested that he may have to come back to my master socket.

Oh yes before I forget, he will provide also a new pair of copper from E to D.  ;D

So, I will know more tomorrow and I will post the findings here.  ;D

Archie

Archie

« Reply #22 on: June 10, 2011, 12:31:32 AM »

Archie, When the OR man (or woman) calls, ensure that a mug of tea or coffee, along with biscuits or even a bacon sandwich is offered. Then don't forget to ask for an explanation of the fault (hopefully found & fixed) before he (she) departs.

I know I'm not the only person here with an interest in "cabinets, holes, poles and wires therein / attached thereto".   ::)

Thank you burakkucat.  I had done exactly what you suggested about Tea & Biscuits.  Please check out my response to razpag (Reply #21).  ;)

I promise I will keep this forum posted on tomorrow's outcome.  ;D

Regards.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #23 on: June 10, 2011, 02:40:12 AM »

Oh yes before I forget, he will provide also a new pair of copper from E to D. ;D

Taking that exactly as stated, I assume he intends to re-jumper your pair inside the PCP . . . thus ensuring that those four joints are good quality.

Archie

« Reply #24 on: June 10, 2011, 10:40:28 AM »

Taking that exactly as stated, I assume he intends to re-jumper your pair inside the PCP . . . thus ensuring that those four joints are good quality.

Sorry about my ignorance, but what does PCP mean?

Regards,
Archie

Oranged

• Reg Member
    • The Mobile Help Forum
« Reply #25 on: June 10, 2011, 11:17:11 AM »

Primary Connection Point = those green cabinets at the roadside which connect you to the local exchange.

Archie

« Reply #26 on: June 10, 2011, 05:03:11 PM »

Thanks Oranged for clarification.

@ razpag & burakkucat

Okay guys, as promised, here it goes - the Boost Engineer's findings as he continued from where he left off yesterday evening:
1. He tried loading the line from D point to find fault.  No joy.
2. He moved on to E point and loaded the line, still no joy - he was looking for errors to identify problem areas - e.g. coroded or HR joints.
3. While he was trying 1. & 2. above, I have had a number of disconnects but this was expected.
4. He checked out the Line Board at E,  Still no joy.
5. As he did not find any errors at various points, he decide to leave things alone.  So, he has not done any changes to my copper line.
6. As a last resort he checked the crimp joints on incoming line within test socket and carried out some more test at both test socket and master socket with filtered plate.  He did not find anything wrong.

Finally, he has left the issue as unresolved and asked me to monitor disconnects for atleast 72 hours and report this to my ISP.  His visit report will be sent to my ISP.

What a bummer, eh.  :(

Funnily enough I have had couple of incoming calls this morning, but this time NO DISCNNECT.  Only disconnects came when he was testing at D and E points.  I wonder if he has done something, without realising, and corrected the issue!!

I shall certainly let you know how well the line behaves (or not) over next 72 hours.

Any way, I have managed to get hold of working BT's HomeHUB 2.0, though it will only work with BT ADSL.  Apparently I will have to make changes to work with my ISP (or any other ISP).  I don't know how to do this.  Any ideas, help etc.  I understand Homehub 2.0 is more stable on long lines like mine (4.7km from exchange).

Thank you all very much for your positive responses.  I do appreciate it.

Many regards,
Archie

Archie

« Reply #27 on: June 10, 2011, 05:13:10 PM »

Sorry Guys,

Ooops.  I should have mentioned in my last post that I have removed ActionTec router and installed the original Netgear DG834GT router connected via filtered plate which has already been checked out to be good.

Regards,

Archie.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #28 on: June 10, 2011, 06:07:02 PM »

That is rather disappointing, Archie. :(

In order of appearance:

(1) As Oranged has clarified, a PCP is a Primary Cross-Connection Point (a green roadside cabinet).
(2) The E-side is the pair between the exchange and the PCP.
(3) The D-side is the pair between the PCP and you. (I'm not sure if the D-side is considered to end at the local DP (Distribution Point) and then is known as the drop-wire (if from a pole) or the underground feed (if underground) to the NTE. No doubt either Messrs Pag, Ezzer or his Lordship of Gumble will be able to enhance my knowledge.)
(4) Your Netgear DG834GT should be quite reliable, with the bonus that you can run routerstats and, hopefully, be able to capture graphically a "drop-out". Those statistics would also help your ISP to "see" the issue.
(5) I'm not too sure about using a BT HH2 with a long line. Those "in the know" (myself included) will recommend a BT Business Hub, a.k.a. a 2Wire 2700HG[V]. Walter or Eric would be able to advise you on the best "long line" practices. Is approximately three miles really considered to be a long line?  Hmm . . .

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #29 on: June 10, 2011, 06:34:26 PM »

On that last point, I think few people would recommend a BT HH2 on a difficult line. But the Business Hub 2700HGV is often found to be the best performer on long lines (and this one at 59 dB attenuation qualifies as long). But not everyone agrees, and some find that Broadcom- based routers are best, particularly the earlier 6348 chipset, as used in the DG834GT. Whichever is best in your particular circumstances, the DG834GT is a very reliable performer, and I wouldn't look any further until the other issues are resolved.
  Eric
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11