Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Recommend software for monitoring Draytek2820 rein problem?  (Read 10815 times)

catzi

Re: Recommend software for monitoring Draytek2820 rein problem?
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2011, 11:37:18 AM »

Actually, I suspect it's the charger / battery that's at fault. I believe the way the lift operates is that the when the chair operates, it is on battery power. The battery then charges when the chair is in its 'home' position at either end of the stairs. There seems to be a period of 10-20 minutes after the chair has been used that it generates noise. I imagine that this is the battery going onto full charge to 'top up' after use.

Anyway, Zen have arranged for a BT REIN engineer to come out tomorrow morning to confirm that this is a REIN problem (despite the last engineer confirming this!). I think perhaps this has to be done by the 'certified' REIN person. Hopefully the guy that comes out tomorrow is the genuine 'certified' REIN person. The last engineer that came out told me there's only one in the West of Scotland.

Onwards and Upwards!

razpag

• Reg Member
« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2011, 09:07:49 PM »

Our new lady CEO has announced that our training budget has been doubled, and therefore more engineers will be trained on REIN affecting faults, amongst other skills.

Where I work, we had just the 2 fellows able to undertake REIN faults, this has now been upped to around 10 with myself being one of them. Got to say, it's both daunting and interesting getting to the bottom of one of these faults and any pointers the EU can give is more than welcome.

I had my first 'official' REIN job this week, and the premises that is affecting my EU is approximately 1 mile away from the EU's property. Due to circumstances (time constraints with the occupant), I'll be revisiting this premises later this week but have pretty much narrowed it down.

Hope you get a result. ;D

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2011, 11:37:17 PM »

<snip>

Onwards and Upwards!

Surely that depends upon a working chairlift. ::) I wonder if the pun was intentional? ;)
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

catzi

« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2011, 03:31:08 PM »

Just to resume this thread...

Problem is definitely with the next-door neighbours stairlift, the company who support the stairlift are unwilling to do anything. After much to'ing and fro'ing between Zen and BT, BT have given up, basically saying it's a REIN fault and are unwilling to do anything else. BT have NEVER sent an official REIN engineer out and, according to Zen, BT claim to have contacted the chairlift company but found them unwilling to act. I don't know how BT could have done this since they haven't spoken to me or my neighbour and therefore wouldn't know who to contact.

At the end of the day, I seem to be stuck with an ongoing 'known' REIN fault, where the perpetrator (the stairlift support company) is unwilling to do anything about it and Zen/BT go round in circles and achieve nothing.

I'm not really sure what to do next. I've spoken to Ofcom and a helpful chap there basically said - 'not our problem - speak to your ISP'.   :(

waltergmw

• Kitizen
« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2011, 03:53:01 PM »

Hi Catzi,

There are several options.

1.  Get out your magic lamp, rub vigorously whispering Azzaka continually - i.e. write a PM to him here

2.  Write to your local paper explaining the situation and naming the chair lift company

3.  Write to the MD of the chair lift company, copy to your local council's care support centre,  politely mentioning "trading standards" and "taking proceedings"

4.  Ask if your neighbour would accept the price of a paid maintenance visit from the company

5.  ONLY with caution and the agreement of the chair lift owner, isolate the mains, remove the battery cover to find the size and capacity and replace it.

etc. etc.

Kind regards,
Walter

razpag

• Reg Member
« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2011, 06:34:12 PM »

............. or get an extra large box of Bacofoil, and wrap the neighbours house up.

jeffbb

• Kitizen
« Reply #21 on: August 08, 2011, 07:22:20 PM »

:lol:
zen user

catzi

« Reply #22 on: August 25, 2011, 09:30:21 AM »

FINALLY!  :)

The stairlift maintenance people visited again (after my neighbour threatened legal action). The were still insisting that they had spoken to the manufacturer and it was "not possible" that the lift was causing the problem.

But, to prove their point, they brought a replacement lift control box. Once the old unit was replaced, the REIN problem was gone. Needless to say, they were amazed  :o

Now that I have uninterrupted internet access ,what am I going to moan about now? Maybe my paltry 2Mb download speeds??  :lol: 

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #23 on: August 25, 2011, 09:34:58 AM »

Good result, catzi  :clap2:

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #24 on: August 25, 2011, 09:52:23 AM »

Excellent result, and congratulations on the perseverance. :thumbs:
  Eric

waltergmw

• Kitizen
« Reply #25 on: August 25, 2011, 11:45:46 AM »

Hi Catzi,

Ditto, I'm delighted !

There's quite a bit of data here on improving line speeds but you could always start a new thread with your modem stats.

http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/frogstats.php

Kind regards,
Walter

jeffbb

• Kitizen
« Reply #26 on: August 25, 2011, 06:50:11 PM »

Touting for business ? :lol:
zen user

waltergmw

• Kitizen
« Reply #27 on: August 25, 2011, 10:49:36 PM »

Possibly so !!!!!!!!!!!!

But this is one enterprise where the only cost might be struggling to get your ISP to get your internet connection to work properly !

Kind regards,
Walter
Pages: 1 [2]