Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: BT service interruptions  (Read 4733 times)

waltergmw

• Kitizen
BT service interruptions
« on: August 10, 2011, 04:29:53 PM »

Gentlefolk,

Yet another embarrassment for the UK.

Kind regards,
Walter

Service: Broadband
Posted: Wed, Aug 10 2011 at 16:17:58
Subject: BT Openreach/Wholesale engineer availability - Wednesday 10th August

Due to the incidents across the UK over the past few days our suppliers have issued the following statement:

"During this period of serious civil disturbance in parts of London and other cities in the UK, Openreach continues to provide a normal service as far as possible across the country.

However we would like to advise customers that some local disruption is likely where risks to our people are too great or the police or fire authorities will not allow us access.

In addition, work in the late afternoons, evenings and at night in parts of London and in a number of town and city centres, continues to be severely restricted until law and order is fully restored.

There has been some impact on the service we are able to provide our customers, including missed appointments, where our engineers have been unable to access affected areas.

In these exceptional circumstances, it may be necessary, in certain areas, to focus our restricted resources on repair rather than provision to ensure you have service.

We estimate that, for the rest of this week at least, there will be between 500 and 1000 jobs outstanding each day requiring re-appointing and we will work with you to ensure this is done as smoothly as possible. Our intention is to proactively contact customers via the provided contact numbers, to agree re-appointment in real time.

In all cases we aim to meet our commitments as quickly as possible when it is safe to do so.

For this civil disturbance we will, for the time being, apply MBORC only where riot damage has been caused to our network assets, or where there are significant access restrictions imposed on us by the police or fire authorities, but we will review the situation.

As the situation remains fluid we will keep you regularly updated.

We will provide an update tomorrow, 11 August 2011."

We'll update this post as soon as any further information is received.

Kind regards,

Matt Taylor
Customer Support

silversurfer44

• Kitizen
  • Lord Muck
    • Ben Novice Weather
Re: BT service interruptions
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2011, 05:16:29 PM »

Well I'll ask the question. What is MBORC?
Thanks Walter for the information although as yet it doesn't affect me directly.
Colin II : It's no good being a pessimist, it wouldn't work anyway.

CurlyWhirly

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2011, 05:18:02 PM »

Well I'll ask the question. What is MBORC?
'matters beyond our reasonable control' as far as I know.
Mike

silversurfer44

• Kitizen
  • Lord Muck
    • Ben Novice Weather
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2011, 05:19:33 PM »

Thank you CurlyWhirly, why the hell can't they say so.

razpag

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2011, 06:16:23 PM »

Curly Whirly is right.

Silver Surfer, they don't need to say in full, because you don't need to know. It's a measure 'we' put in place for 'our' purposes, ie- meeting SP's commitments, finance etc etc.. I wrote about it a few weeks ago on another thread, but can't remember which one.

silversurfer44

• Kitizen
  • Lord Muck
    • Ben Novice Weather
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2011, 06:26:59 PM »

Sorry razpag, but I'm going to take issue here. If the document wasn't meant for our eyes then why is it displayed in the public domain? A number of times it addresses customers and is signed on behalf of customer services. Crikey it's not some top secret document. I don't know what the fascination is for all these acronyms.

camallison

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2011, 06:29:06 PM »

Virgin Media have issued a similar statement.

Colin

razpag

• Reg Member
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2011, 06:56:15 PM »

Sorry razpag, but I'm going to take issue here. If the document wasn't meant for our eyes then why is it displayed in the public domain? A number of times it addresses customers and is signed on behalf of customer services. Crikey it's not some top secret document. I don't know what the fascination is for all these acronyms.

SS, I don't know where it was displayed as there is no reference to it by Walter, and it isn't addressed to anybody in particular. I take your point about it not being a top-secret document, but I also genuinely thought MBORC was a common acronym ? A bit along the lines of ETA.

Just to be completely pedantic, if you are reading a document on-line, and that single acronym has you stumped, why not just Google it ?? It must have taken you longer to ask the question "What is MBORC ?". Before anybody starts jumping on me, that is meant to be a humerous dig, I'm not declaring war on SS. ;D ;D

waltergmw

• Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2011, 08:55:35 PM »

Sorry everybody,

I should have said that this was the contents of an e-mail I get from Plusnet.
(I don't operate any Plusnet services myself but anybody can opt to receive such e-mails which mostly talk about service outages etc.)

Kind regards,
Walter

razpag

• Reg Member
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2011, 09:00:02 PM »

Cheers Walter. ;D

silversurfer44

• Kitizen
  • Lord Muck
    • Ben Novice Weather
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2011, 10:15:08 PM »

No problem Walter and no need for apologies.
I was just curious as to what the acronym stood for and seeing as it was posted on here I thought it reasonable to ask about it here. Apart from me wanting to I thought if anyone else wanted to know they could read about here.
Yes razpag I could have googled and maybe come up with other meanings for it, but then anybody else that was curious would also to have go googling.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2011, 09:40:22 AM »

If the document wasn't meant for our eyes then why is it displayed in the public domain?

Lil bit of history for you.  About 8/9 years ago when Plusnet was 'the techy' ISP to be with, a few of their customers formed together to write various 'tools' & services for Plusnet customers.

Plusnet allowed those interfaces to have access to some of the services such as information coming from BT and even donated a server to host these 'tools' on.  The server was called 'usertools' and it hosted any tools and information written by plusnet customers.  The server was under control of the Plusnet customers/Plusnet User Group who had close liason with CS Manager at the time Ian Wild who strongly supported the UserGroup. 

Contrary to popular belief, all the tools and info was written by customers and not Plusnet staff. The Exchange Checker was another example of such a tool that was very well utilised back in those days.

As time has gone by most of the orginal Usergroup has moved on.  A couple actually ended up working for Plusnet, and some of us moved on to do other things which took up their time ;).... or some just even moved on because of LLU and were no longer Plusnet customers.

The Service Status is maintained by Plusnet CS staff who continue to put out info via the usertools server. 
Anyone can subscribe to the service.
But the caveat is that often the emails will be a direct copy of the info received from BTw and will contain many industry acronyms.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2011, 09:46:21 AM by kitz »
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

razpag

• Reg Member
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2011, 12:25:28 PM »

Learn something everyday Kitz. Ergo, they do not have to explain in full, as if they were liasing with the general public. Gracias. ;)