Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: I've finally treated myself to a SSD drive  (Read 7050 times)

CurlyWhirly

• Reg Member
I've finally treated myself to a SSD drive
« on: June 04, 2011, 11:28:33 PM »

I can't believe how fast they are  :o

Windows 7 only takes 8 seconds to load compared to almost 2 minutes for my Vista installation (using a conventional hard drive)

Without a doubt SSD drives are the future of computing  8)

Anyone here installed one on their PC ?

Just curious.
Mike

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: I've finally treated myself to a SSD drive
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2011, 07:10:58 AM »

I've thought about them, but they're still rather expensive for desktop use. If I used a laptop I would give one a try.
  Eric

MartinGoose

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2011, 07:58:08 AM »

I've thought about them, but they're still rather expensive for desktop use. If I used a laptop I would give one a try.

In a desktop you can use a small SSD (about £75 for 64GB) as a boot drive and retain your existing drive for your home partition.

In a laptop you have to get an SDD with sufficient capacity to do both.

CurlyWhirly

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2011, 08:07:46 AM »

Well yes they are expensive compared to the massive storage that you can buy on conventional hard drives but as you know new technology comes down in price over time.

I paid just over £200 for a 120 GB SSD drive which is almost what I paid for a conventional 120 GB a few years ago when their prices were a lot less competitive than they are now !

May I ask why you would consider buying one for a laptop and not a desktop ?  ;D
Mike

CurlyWhirly

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2011, 08:08:50 AM »

In a desktop you can use a small SSD (about £75 for 64GB) as a boot drive and retain your existing drive for your home partition.

In a laptop you have to get an SDD with sufficient capacity to do both.
So you have bought one as well then ?  8)
Mike

MartinGoose

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2011, 08:36:17 AM »

So you have bought one as well then ?  8)

Yes. I have an SSD which is similar to this:
<http://www.ebuyer.com/product/247005>

I have a complete PCLinuxOS installation on it. Excess files go to an old Maxtor 200GB PATA drive, in the same case, which can also be used to boot into Windows if necessary.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2011, 09:15:12 AM »

May I ask why you would consider buying one for a laptop and not a desktop ?  ;D

Because booting time would be a consideration with a laptop, but not with my desktop PCs. And for various reasons both my desktops need high capacity storage, so I would still have to have conventional hard disks in each.
  Eric

CurlyWhirly

• Reg Member
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2011, 09:57:18 AM »

Because booting time would be a consideration with a laptop, but not with my desktop PCs. And for various reasons both my desktops need high capacity storage, so I would still have to have conventional hard disks in each.
I see, you do have a point.
Mike

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2011, 09:59:42 AM »

You're too kind. ;D
  Eric

MartinGoose

« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2011, 11:00:57 AM »

, so I would still have to have conventional hard disks in each.

Or consolidate your HD requirements into a NAS?

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2011, 01:22:37 PM »

Or consolidate your HD requirements into a NAS?

I've already got two NAS devices, which I use for multiple backups. My data is too valuable to me to consolidate it into a single place.

But the real point is that, interesting though SSD drives are, they don't currently offer any useful advantage to me.
  Eric

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2011, 02:57:25 PM »

At present the price difference to mechanical drives is such that I see few real uses except maybe for ruggedised systems.
Not sure if that will change over time or other technologies will appear.
Yes, a faster boot is "nice" but with hibernation etc. not really an issue.

And with the proliferation of devices these days everything is changing - will conventional PC's be commonplace much longer?

I find that when I use a real mobile laptop (as opposed to a tablet or smartphone or deskbound one) I take it out the bag, turn it on and then set up the "work area" possibly mouse, power leads, network cable etc. and settle down by which time it's up and runnning anyway.

Open-minded but currently sceptical.  8)

CurlyWhirly

• Reg Member
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2011, 06:30:45 PM »

And with the proliferation of devices these days everything is changing - will conventional PC's be commonplace much longer?
Are you serious?  :o

Where could this threat come from ?

Apple perhaps or the next generation consoles that have the capability of internet access ?
Mike

CurlyWhirly

• Reg Member
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2011, 08:10:31 PM »

I am so impressed with my SSD drive that I have decided to buy a smaller capacity SSD drive (64 GB) for my Vista installation.
I bought a 128 GB capacity drive for the Windows 7 installation.

Before I actually go ahead with the purchase, I have a query below.

I have just read why my hard drive monitoring utility reports that my SSD drive is at 128C ( http://forums.crucial.com/t5/Solid-State-Drives-SSD/My-C300-128GB-runs-at-128c/m-p/14817 ) and this is because the monitoring utilities weren't coded for SSD drives as they didn't exist at the time.

Because of this difference in technologies, does anyone know if I can use an image backup utility to copy my Vista OS on to a new SSD drive ?

I've done this with Norton Ghost once when a hard drive failed and was wondering if it's possible with a conventional hard drive and a SSD drive ?

I copied over the data on to the new hard drive which took around 90 mins but was still quicker than reinstalling everything !

Thanks.

Mike

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2011, 02:26:04 PM »

Interesting, I keep meaning to put a ssd in my hardware firewall which runs 24/7.
This is a firm I have seen......  http://linitx.com/viewcategory.php?catid=100&pp=100
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.
Pages: [1] 2

anything