Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Old browsers to be abandoned by Google  (Read 2204 times)

AdrianH

Old browsers to be abandoned by Google
« on: June 04, 2011, 08:14:50 PM »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-13639875

Google is phasing out support for older browsers from 1 August.

Those using IE7, Safari 3, Firefox 3.5 and their predecessors to view Gmail, Google Calendar, Talk, Docs and Sites will then lose some functions.

Eventually, it warned, these web services will stop working for those sticking with older browsers.

The move is part of a trend to stop the use of ageing browsers which can be insecure and not sophisticated enough to handle the latest web technologies........... (more)

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
Re: Old browsers to be abandoned by Google
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2011, 06:59:41 AM »

I think Firefox 5 finished version will be rolled out very soon,Beta versions are already available to download.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2011, 07:13:15 AM »

I believe that FF 4, 5, 6, 7, etc. will be alternatives with different features and optimisations, not an advancing sequence of versions.
  Eric

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2011, 08:58:35 AM »

Well I'll have our free TV licence to console one old browser ;D

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2011, 09:02:19 AM »

Well I'll have our free TV licence to console one old browser ;D
:thumbs:

I've only another 16 years to wait.  :D

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2011, 07:57:37 PM »

TBH I dont blame them...  aside from compatibility problems that can occur when trying to design a site for older browsers, I cant help but wonder if there may be another reason why Google is taking this stance.

Such as the EU cookie directive which came into effect on the 25th of May.  TBH this directive as it stood was a bit of a farce, because the technology to satisfy the directive right up to the 25th of May could have meant the internet becoming a pop-up hell and extremely difficult to maintain without more onus being placed on modern browsers...  which is the way it may be heading.

I wont go into how long it took me to sort out this site before 25th of May (the mods know the full details  ::) ) but put it this way, even sites like the ICO and BBC werent able to follow the directive as it stood at that date.  Even I had no control over some third party type cookies...  which interestingly enough for me meant Google Analytics and Google Ads.  The latest changes in the directive do seem to be pushing towards the browsers taking more control rather than the site owners.. as I see it, 2 of the largest problem areas are GoogleAds and Google Analytics....  so I can understand them in pushing users to upgrade their browsers.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

CurlyWhirly

• Reg Member
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2011, 08:57:18 PM »

The latest changes in the directive do seem to be pushing towards the browsers taking more control rather than the site owners.. as I see it, 2 of the largest problem areas are GoogleAds and Google Analytics....  so I can understand them in pushing users to upgrade their browsers.
What advantage would newer browsers offer apart from less compatibility problems that can occur when trying to design a site for older browsers that youv'e already mentioned ?

Just curious  :)
Mike

anything