Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Very slow internet  (Read 11126 times)

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
Very slow internet
« on: June 02, 2011, 08:26:47 AM »

Is anyone else experiencing a very slow internet this morning and over last night, or is it just me.

Most sites I use are very slow to open........some will not open atall.......they seem to be sticking on the dreaded google-analyticals.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: Very slow internet
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2011, 08:37:23 AM »

Sorry to say it Mr. Duck but it does seem to be just you.

The b*cat forgot to go to bed last night and is still working with his systems on the "west side of the puddle" . . . no Internet issues have been noticed.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

AdrianH

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2011, 08:48:27 AM »

No, my connection is running at full chat as usual. Are there any BT works in your area? They are running upgrades all over the place it seems.

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2011, 09:30:44 AM »

Thanks guys.

Don't know of any BT works in the area...but there may well be.
There is no adverse report on my ISP service status page.

But......as an example, on this thread I clicked on the "reply" button and waited 24 seconds for the reply page to open.........will see how long to get this post "live".

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2011, 09:39:07 AM »

No speed problems here, I'm afraid. :)
  Eric

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2011, 09:52:32 AM »

This is dreadful.

I'm shutting down........will try again tomorrow.

AdrianH

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2011, 10:02:56 AM »

BT have multiple issues TD

http://btbusiness.custhelp.com/app/service_status

Service status updateBroadbandThere are currently 5 open and 0 closed issues. View all >
Wed 01/06/2011 at 10am   Ongoing    Problem in the Sheffield area   
Wed 01/06/2011 at 05pm   Ongoing    Problem in the Tonbridge area   
   Ongoing    Problem in the Newton-Le-Willows area   
Thu 02/06/2011 at 09am   Ongoing    Problem in the Hartland area   

Dialling codes affected: 01237

Estimated time to resolve: 2hrs

We know that some of our customers in the Hartland area are having trouble getting online at the moment. Sorry about this. We're working to fix the problem as quickly as we can.
Thu 02/06/2011 at 09am   Ongoing    Problem in the Dorchester Area

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2011, 10:18:33 AM »

TD is situated on the west coast of Scotland so those BT area problems are a long way from where he lives.

I live in Sheffield and don't have any issues,saying that I'm with O2 LLU  :)
« Last Edit: June 02, 2011, 10:20:44 AM by UncleUB »

toulouse

• Reg Member
  • I like cheesecake !!!
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2011, 11:07:34 AM »

Don't know if this is relevant to TDs problemette, but Plusnet have been advising users of a BT Matter Beyond Our Reasonable Control (MBORC) - what a load of nancies !!!!! caused by adverse weather apparently - which is supposedly affecting North East and South West Scotland.

I'm in Weston super Mare using O2 as my primary and Plusnet as a secondary connection - a long, long story !!!

toulouse
Utility Warehouse (via TalkTalk)
FTTC 40/10
ZyXEL VMG8924-B10A
ECI (approx 750 metres)

People tell me that I ought to get out more. But in the words of the great Homer J Simpson, "Yeah, but what ya gonna do ?"

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2011, 11:34:44 AM »

TD is with Virgin (not cable) irrc. :)

razpag

• Reg Member
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2011, 12:33:14 PM »

Don't know if this is relevant to TDs problemette, but Plusnet have been advising users of a BT Matter Beyond Our Reasonable Control (MBORC) - what a load of nancies !!!!! caused by adverse weather apparently - which is supposedly affecting North East and South West Scotland.

I'm in Weston super Mare using O2 as my primary and Plusnet as a secondary connection - a long, long story !!!

toulouse

It's good to see the uneducated throwing comments around like "Nancies", without having a clue as to why MBORC is implemented.

MBORC is only implemented by the top level management, as it puts a stop on the way jobs are normally monitored, analysed and statted. This is because we have time limits to meet on Installation and Repair work, and have to pay compensation if these commitments aren't met. If high winds have brought down major lengths of OH cable, or lightning has tracked down the UG cables etc etc ....... then this IS an MBORC situation.

It would be great and frugal to announce MBORC every day, but do you really think the SP's or Ofcom would allow that ?? Obviously not which is why when it IS implemeted, it's for a very good reason. I can't seeing an engineer ringing his boss up and saying, "I'm a nancy" as being one of those reasons.

toulouse

• Reg Member
  • I like cheesecake !!!
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2011, 12:53:41 PM »

@razpag

hey, I'm sorry and I certainly didn't mean to offend anyone. It just strikes me that (on the Plusnet / BT front), this type of event is quite a regular occurrence. I maybe should have taken a look at the weather reports in that area before commenting.

The intention of my comment re the Plusnet information about MBORC was to perhaps suggest that that may be connected to the problems that TD and possibly others are experiencing in parts of Scotland.

I hope your MBORC soon gets a bit better.

toulouse
FTTC 40/10
ZyXEL VMG8924-B10A
ECI (approx 750 metres)

People tell me that I ought to get out more. But in the words of the great Homer J Simpson, "Yeah, but what ya gonna do ?"

razpag

• Reg Member
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2011, 04:11:47 PM »

Cheers toulouse. ;D

razpag

• Reg Member
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2011, 04:22:01 PM »

I do go on the defensive somewhat, but folk are under the mishapprehension we act like we are stilll monopolised.

Believe me, come and work for us for just 1 week and you'll understand why engineers can, and do, take umbrage against certain comments. We are accountable to the Nth degree for everything we do, when I say 'micro-managed', I really do mean 'micro-managed' down to the last Dropwire Cleat we use. We can't just drag our feet on jobs at all, (circa 'the good old days'), the compo payments would be immense and when managers bonuses are related to it, then any 'furthering' of jobs to other departments etc get scrutinised to death and back.

To reiterate about MBORC, it will only be applied when the higher tier of management deem it to be acceptable. I wouldn't be surprised if they have to report back to Ofcom or SP's representatives explaining to the full why they had to do so. Just my guess, but when moneys involved there have to be answers.

Hey-ho, its just another day in paradise toulouse. All t'best.  ;D

toulouse

• Reg Member
  • I like cheesecake !!!
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2011, 04:33:27 PM »

@razpag,

Hey, thanks for that. As for me I don't have a problem with individuals at BT per se, as those BT engineers that I've come across in my years as a phone subscriber / broadband user I've always found to be most helpful. It's the leviathan that BT became after privatisation, you know when they were allegedly earning something like £90bn (Billion) a second, or so the rumours went at the time. In my view, it's a shame that some of that money, if it did indeed exist, was not invested in the telecoms infrastructure of this country at the time - or maybe it was I really don't know or care actually, but I suspect that the majority went to share holders. I'm just grateful that one of the spinoffs of the privatisation has resulted in much more choice for the consumer......

......anyway, I digress. I wonder how TD is getting on now.

TTFN

toulouse
FTTC 40/10
ZyXEL VMG8924-B10A
ECI (approx 750 metres)

Pages: [1] 2 3