Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Comodo firewall problems ,cannot un install  (Read 6095 times)

jeffbb

• Kitizen
Comodo firewall problems ,cannot un install
« on: May 28, 2011, 07:42:15 PM »

Hi
My latest update of Comodo (in preparation for WIN 7) failed to complete properly. see attachment for errors . Then the problems started

edit could not show file as it is an xml type

instead of leaving me with original version I now have one that is not working properly . The internet protection is not working as found by windows and a message on the display . The rest ,file checking etc  seem OK. So tried to uninstall  . 2 problems  No uninstall available in the Commodo folder . No mention of Commodo in the Windows  ADD/ Remove programs window.

So tried to Restore System  .3 restore points all failed !!. Windows Vista  >:(

I have stopped Commodo from starting and I am running Windows firewall .

I tried to run the install program again ,it reported installation complete ,but it was obvious that it had not run as it only took about 10 seconds to finish.

Has anyone any ideas on how to remove Comodo .
I have seen mention Of REVO uninstaller mentioned .Any one with experience of this product ?
Any help would be greatly appreciated
Regards
« Last Edit: May 28, 2011, 07:54:09 PM by jeffbb »
zen user

renluop

• Kitizen
Re: Comodo firewall problems ,cannot un install
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2011, 08:23:48 PM »

Revo generally seems to work OK for me. But don't rely on my expertise ;D.
Have you done a search on *uninstall comodo fitrewall*? There are several incidences of problems similar to yours and my be some solutions. Apparently Revo is not one of them.

jeffbb

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2011, 08:37:32 PM »

Hi
Yes I have had a look around ,seems to be a common problem with Comodo . There seems to be many answers  Some  of the sites did suggest using  Revo and others talked about some scripts and the real Geeks talked about editing the registry  :-X, Just hoping someone here has the expertise .
Regards Jeff
zen user

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2011, 09:11:56 PM »

This version looks "sensible" but I don't know anyone who's tried it.....  :-X
http://www.ehow.com/how_4833550_remove-comodo-firewall.html

jeffbb

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2011, 11:16:17 PM »

Hi

Tried it nothing changed ?

The weird thing is that Windows does not recognise it as installed ,Revo  uninstaller cannot see it . I have stopped it from starting so at least its not interfering with Windows firewall . I renamed the main folder and that hasn't upset Windows . The other weird thing is that the option in the Comodo folder to Add or remove components  brings up an error This action is only valid for products that are currently installed

Weird

Regards Jeff
zen user

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2011, 06:28:33 AM »

jeffbb, if you are feeling brave you may like to look at this little utility.

https://forums.comodo.com/install-setup-configuration-help-cis/uninstaller-tool-for-comodo-products-t71897.0.html

AdrianH

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2011, 06:54:55 AM »

If system restore fails in Vista it is often caused by your AV applications self defense mechanism.  What are you running for AV?

Comodo ........  :-X :-X  wouldn't have it on anything I own ever.  Try TD's uninstaller ,otherwise it means trawling through the registry looking for Comodo entries.

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2011, 07:24:31 AM »

Hi
 This action is only valid for products that are currently installed

Weird

I suppose you could re-install then use the tool. ;D

BTW I had similar troubles with Antivir and ended up having to comb the registry more than once before it unconditionally surrendered

jeffbb

• Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2011, 05:48:09 PM »

Hi
quote : I suppose you could re-install then use the tool. 
Tried that does not work the install procedure literally takes < second ,seems to see itself already installed .

@TD not sure  :-\ But it might come to that ,though the fact that its not actually giving a problem except for the fact  its not working !. I might take the cowards way out .

My intention is to upgrade to Windows 7 . The question is when upgrading do you get a brand new Registry ,would this problem interfere with the upgrade ?

Regards Jeff
zen user

jeffbb

• Kitizen
Re: Comodo firewall problems ,cannot un install Sorted :)
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2011, 05:27:09 PM »

Hi
Got rid of it .

Revo uninstaller Pro  (on offer for 30 day trial ) Has an option to "force uninstall " . The normal uninstall could not see Comodo but this option allows the selection of a program as long as it is given the complete path  , then it searches for all information ,files registry entries etc . Then it will delete all entries as required . before any deletions are carried out it prompts the user , It also creates a copy of the registry and a restore point before continuing . It did leave a couple of entries in the registry and in the start menu  .(might have been my fault the way I used it ). Any way cleared those using registry cleaner . So Its goodbye Comodo.

Using Windows firewall in Vista .

Regards Jeff
zen user

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2011, 07:10:35 AM »

Glad to see you are sorted, jeffbb  :clap2:

CurlyWhirly

• Reg Member
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2011, 09:05:41 PM »

Comodo ........  :-X :-X  wouldn't have it on anything I own ever.
I've been using Comodo anti-virus for almost a year with no problems but I've not installed the Comodo firewall and, after seeing this thread, I don't think I'll bother and I'll stick with the Windows Vista firewall.
Mike