Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Migrating  (Read 6523 times)

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Migrating
« on: July 30, 2006, 09:53:55 AM »

I've run out of patience with PlusNet and committed myself to a migration. I've opted for Zen, which is more expensive but consistently comes top in the ADSLGuide rankings. I thought that I would keep a record here of how the migration process has worked. If I disappear you'll know that either I've been hit by a bus or the process hasn't worked quite right.

1. Get a Mac code from PlusNet: I requested this on 25/7 and received it the next day. I had to endure a phone call from a thick-skinned PlusNet rep who wanted chapter and verse on my reasons and wouldn't go away. In the end I was rather rude to him and managed to end the call.

2. Apply at Zen: This was straightforward. I filled in the details on the web site, including the Mac code, on 26/7. Later that day I received confirmation that the order was placed with BT, with an expected migration date of 1/8. I was given my login details as well as a PAYG dial-up number to use in emergency.

So far, so good. I guess I'm going to forfeit a month's subscription to PlusNet in lieu of notice. I could probably have avoided this by giving notice and then applying for the migration 3 weeks later, but I'm impatient.

I'll let you know how it goes (assuming that I can :) )

Eric
  Eric

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Migrating
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2006, 10:12:01 AM »

Good luck eric
Hope it all goes smoothly for you.

If you are forfeiting your notice, and allowing the MAC key to be used asap, then you should find yourself on zen within the next few days.

Once youve migrated, dont forget to cancel your dd with PlusNet.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Migrating
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2006, 12:51:17 PM »

Thanks Kitz, that's a good point.

Eric
  Eric

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Migrating
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2006, 10:42:35 AM »

Well, I'm posting this via my shiny new Zen connection. Yesterday evening I received an email from Zen to confirm that the migration would take place today. At 10:00 the connection dropped, so I entered my Zen login details in the router, and a few minutes later it was up and running. Totally painless apart from the thick-skinned PlusNet rep.

Eric
  Eric

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
Migrating
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2006, 11:48:02 AM »

glad it went smoothly for you.
So now youre a zenite. :)

From what Ive seen migration paths between the likes of zen/PN/pipex/bt etc normally go pretty smoothly.

The main problems tend to revolve around billing.  ie when BTw havent told the loosing ISP that migration has been completed. -  Hence the reminder to cancel the dd.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
Migrating
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2006, 08:57:40 PM »

Hows things going eric?

All smooooooth ?
-----

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Migrating
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2006, 08:05:58 AM »

So far it's been so smooth it's almost boring. :) And the Zen forum is a lot quieter than the PlusNet one; my ears are still ringing from the chorus of complaints in the latter.

Eric
  Eric

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
Migrating
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2006, 09:24:21 AM »

:)
-----