Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Bt engineer bill  (Read 6488 times)

iwish

Bt engineer bill
« on: May 12, 2011, 06:00:29 PM »

We have had an ongoing fault for a year that has been fixed for a few months now by giving us an upstream snr of 16
we have had 3 face plates fitted by bt and loads of line swaps and lift and shifts
The last engineer did a line swap that did improve the line a little but he then found that the face plate was faulty
I explained to him that the face plate was only a few weeks old and was fitted by the last engineer

We have now had an email from our ISP that bt have sent a bill for the last visit
No my dispute is that they had to do a line swap the it was them that fitted the faulty Face plate not us, and they had removed our own filter face plate "adsl nation face plate" to use the BT v 1.0 one
are we liable for the bill or is that down to BT as it was the face plate that they had installed that was faulty.

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
Re: Bt engineer bill
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2011, 06:20:11 PM »

Was it actually an ADSLnation faceplate that was removed?
If it was, the BT engineer should have given it to you as it wasn't BT's.

If it wasn't, someone is telling porkies!  >:D

iwish

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2011, 06:44:20 PM »

They gave us back our face plate but that has nothing to do with what am askin
What am saying is that they fitted a faulty face plate that caused a fault and the last engineer found this and replaced it with a working one
and now bt want to charge us.
I feel that due to the fact it was them that fitted the face plate without even asking us in the 1st place and it was later found to be faulty, We should not be charged for a call out fee

BritBrat

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2011, 08:42:25 PM »

Ask for a copy of the engineers report and the one where the faulty plate was fitted.

I don't think you should have to pay it.

Could be a nice little earner > Fit faulty plate > customer gets problems > engineer turns up finds faulty plate > customer gets charged > plate is fitted to another customer and so it goes around and around.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2011, 08:46:04 PM by BritBrat »

waltergmw

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2011, 06:53:43 AM »

@ BritBrat,

That is perhaps a little naughty of you !

In defence of our Openreach engineers I think you will find they have to break open a sealed bag and fit a new faceplate each time they change one.
That said, I am becoming aware of a few faulty SSFPs failing in a short time (within 1 year) which perhaps suggests a component has a shorter-than-usual operational life.
At least the bag prevents second hand plates being fitted in most cases.

Kind regards,
Walter

BritBrat

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2011, 08:21:11 AM »

@ BritBrat,

That is perhaps a little naughty of you !

Yeah sorry, I just don't like BT but I do think they provide a very good line rental and repair service.

I always recomend BT line rental but never the phone service.

I never said they did it just that they could.

iwish

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2011, 11:10:38 AM »

Yup all came from a sealed bag
But the fact it was the face plate that they installed within a few weeks should not mean i have to pay a bill does it
For instance if i repair a car for a faulty started motor and it fails again within a few weeks and they bring it back to me
I cant go charge them for a new starter and labor charge again as it was the item i fitted that had gone faulty

Oranged

• Reg Member
    • The Mobile Help Forum
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2011, 12:09:33 PM »

Did you pay for the original faceplate that BT fitted to replace your ADSLNation ?

iwish

« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2011, 02:36:38 PM »

No and i never asked for it
As said i bought and Adsl nation one that works and still does and the engineer took it off and put that one on then had a lift and shift
still faults with upstream so last engineer came out and swapped d side a think and found a fault with the face plate the last engineer fitted and replaced that again
My argument is that i never paid or asked for a face plate that was not needed as i already bought a good working one
Now if it was my face plate at fault then fair enough, But it was the one he installed that failed

They installed something i did not need and it caused a fault with my adsl
so they should be liable for that
If they still insist that i pay the bill then i do intend to go with Sky for the whole deal and they can take me to court
Just a shame i will have to leave my isp that i have been happy with for years
« Last Edit: May 13, 2011, 02:39:03 PM by iwish »

Oranged

• Reg Member
    • The Mobile Help Forum
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2011, 03:24:14 PM »

Based on what you have posted then I would say the charge is unacceptable and should be rejected.

If necessary, and you're certain the ADSLNation faceplate functions correctly, offer to return the BT one and refit yours.

iwish

« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2011, 05:57:06 PM »

They can have it back if they want as the adsl nation one was put back on a few weeks ago as we moved the router away from the face plate and into another room
The line has been fine since they last came out and continues to work fine with my face plate
I have no intention to pay the bill no matter what

Lord Gumble

« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2011, 09:40:37 PM »

We have had an ongoing fault for a year that has been fixed for a few months now by giving us an upstream snr of 16
we have had 3 face plates fitted by bt and loads of line swaps and lift and shifts

A Silly question, but if you have had a few line shifts, has anyone looked into a wet joint or a faulty cable? I know from experience that a line can be shifted to another pair on a cable and work perfectly. If this fails, a common fault normally occurs, Earth, Battery or just a noisy line. If you're constantly shifting from pair to pair to get a good, clean line then that to me says there is a problem in a cable or joint in the external network. Were any tests done to your DP when the line shifts were done, to eliminate internal faults??
« Last Edit: May 13, 2011, 09:44:58 PM by Lord Gumble »

iwish

« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2011, 10:42:34 AM »

the equipment shows not fault yet they can see the upstream SNR jump about like a mad man
The line always comes back good but they do say that the upstream has problems and could even be noise from a building or something

iwish

« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2011, 05:07:59 PM »

Just a small update
BT have responded with the following:

Engineer completed work on the E/D side of the cable.

From BT's findings they conclude that the charges are unjustified &
agree to waiver them.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2011, 06:28:25 PM »

Excellent :)
  Eric
Pages: [1] 2