Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Non-mobile Wireless Broadband for Not-spots and Low-spots  (Read 2090 times)

jack21

• Reg Member
Non-mobile Wireless Broadband for Not-spots and Low-spots
« on: May 28, 2011, 08:34:24 AM »

I thought readers may be interested in news of this service being offered in various parts of rural Yorkshire by a company called ILoveBroadband (who own LN Communications - both have websites). Their local service based in Bridlington is connected to a (either 150mbps or 1.5gbps - I can't recall which) BT backhaul in the town, and they offer various packages of up to 50mbps / unlimited usgage to Bridlington end users - residential and business. Their cheapest package is for 5mbps, 10GB usage, and includes many of the usual extras - email/web pages etc at £12.99 per month and a £50 installation charge. It is all fixed-point wireless-distributed - needs line-of-sight - and each user becomes part of a multipath wireless web. A small 8 watt unit on one's property feeds an ethernet outlet that can then be routed by the user. I understand that Bridlington has been designated as Britain's most digitally-deprived town, and that the company is receiving certain grants/subsidies - Martha Lane-Fox has some connection; her organisation has links with the company, and she has visited and held talks in the town.

Tho my village has a long ridge to the south that obscures Bridlington, there are a couple of properties on the ridge that could be used for hopping the signal, and I'm working with them to try to arrange a service provision. Our 2 villages, Bempton and Buckton, have a long line to the exchange - attenuation varies from 56db to 72db, and the best and worst sync rates are 3800 and 400 - mine, at 69db is usually just above 1728, with a best-ever 2250 when the outside temperature was -16degC.

If the service does materialise, I will definitely subscribe to it and provide feedback to others on its performance.

Best Wishes to all readers,
Jack

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: Non-mobile Wireless Broadband for Not-spots and Low-spots
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2011, 08:01:16 PM »

Good luck with this and I hope it all goes well for you and something does materialise.   Please do let us know :)
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker