Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Bluebells  (Read 4290 times)

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Bluebells
« on: May 01, 2011, 04:43:42 PM »

The bluebells in the woods round here are at their best just now, so I thought I'd share some of them with you all.

« Last Edit: May 01, 2011, 04:55:48 PM by roseway »
  Eric

broadstairs

• Kitizen
Re: Bluebells
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2011, 05:02:53 PM »

Lovely scene Eric. Last week we went on our annual trip to Emmett's Garden (NT Property) to see the Bluebells but as we have had such a dry spring their usual carpet was past its best, although the other shrubs were glorious!

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2011, 06:14:30 PM »

Lovely Eric  :)

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2011, 07:08:57 PM »

Beautiful... :)

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2011, 09:51:15 PM »

Very nice. We have loads round here (Chilterns) but they've been over for a while now.  :(
Roughly where is "here" that they're still at their peak?

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2011, 10:33:16 PM »

"Here" is in Kent, near Ashford.
  Eric

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2011, 11:26:13 PM »

I can smell them now.  :)
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

scottiesmum

« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2011, 05:10:44 PM »

Beautiful photographs Eric    ...  I love bluebells   :)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2011, 06:35:55 PM »

Lovely photos.

Just a thought arent bluebells supposed to be protected or something.
I only ask because Ive just spent ages pulling a pile up out of my garden..  they seem to be like weeds.  Theres a patch where they are allowed... but every year they seem to spread like wildfire to random parts of the garden.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2011, 06:48:09 PM »

Bluebells are protected, but as I understand it, this applies only to wild bluebells. I'm sure that the law doesn't prohibit you from keeping them in check in your garden.
  Eric

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2011, 06:51:12 PM »

heh good... cause Ive been pulling them up by the handful.  No doubt they will be back next year.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2011, 07:41:21 AM »

There are two different varieties of Bluebells and only the English ones are protected. You can tell the difference between the English and Spanish varieties easily when you see them side by side as the English ones have narrower leaves and slightly smaller flowers, a lot of the garden ones are Spanish and these flourish very well and spread like wild fire so Kitz you could have the Spanish ones. See here for a comparison.

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2011, 07:52:02 AM »

There are two different varieties of Bluebells and only the English ones are protected. You can tell the difference between the English and Spanish varieties easily when you see them side by side as the English ones have narrower leaves and slightly smaller flowers, a lot of the garden ones are Spanish and these flourish very well and spread like wild fire so Kitz you could have the Spanish ones. See here for a comparison.

Stuart

>Spanish  bluebells< That is the variety we must have,when we moved here 11 years ago there were masses of them.We have now removed most of them,but as Kitz said they do spread very easily if not kept under control

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2011, 09:44:38 AM »

I'm sure I read somewhere quite recently that the 2 varieties easily hybridise and that in reality many now growing are not "pure-bred" of either type.

The thing that intrigues me is how they appear so BLUE in the phgotographs above as the colour is actually quite delicate and not at all bold in real life; have you edited them in any way?

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2011, 09:57:49 AM »

@ HPsauce .......getting a true bluebell colour in a photograph is very difficult. The blooms reflect a tremendous amount of ultra-violet light, which the camera "sees" and records, giving the blooms a very blue or even purplish cast.
Not much you can do to correct this, as of course any filtering/digital adjusting tends to affect all the other colours.
Pages: [1] 2

anything