Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Zigster.  (Read 2372 times)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Zigster.
« on: May 01, 2011, 12:03:06 PM »

This is my poor lil Zigster.  A couple of weeks ago on his 2nd trip into the garden... he went up a tree after a magpie.  Another magpie joined in and they started making a right noise which he could resist and climbed higher and higher.  Unfortunately he found out that unlike birds, he couldnt fly. ???

I took him to the emergency vets when at first they couldnt seem to find anything seriously wrong, but after a few days I took him back because he was still very lame and unable to use his leg at all.  They couldnt x-ray because he'd eaten that morning but the next working day had him booked in for obs, when it became apparent that something serious was 'afoot'.  They were dubious about putting him under anaesthetic cause he also appeared to have intestinal damage, but I gave the go ahead.

The results of the xray werent good he'd snapped off the ball of his thighbone (which was still in the hip socket). and had 'shattered' the head of the femur.  The vets immediately booked him in to an animal hospital/surgery OverWyre for the required surgery before Id even got back there to pick him up or look at the xrays or give the go ahead. 
The choices were slim..  operation to remove the top part of his thigh-bone and hip joint (socket).. the other alternative.. just wasnt an option for me.  :'(

10 days on.. hes had his stitches removed and is now able to take about a dozen or so tentative steps, and hes become really fast at bombing around on three legs.  The vets are delighted with his progress and hes doing remarkably well for such a major op for a lil kitteh.  Eventually the hip/femur will form a sort of false joint.. and hopefully in several months time he should almost be as good as new.

He will never have a proper hip joint and will have one leg a bit shorter than the other.. but hes coping very well... and at least he doesnt seem to be in any pain now.  He's eating fine and is still a major purr-puss.  Zac has been absolutely fantastic with him and spends a lot of time grooming him.  They even spend hours playing together.  Favourite game is Ziggy led down one side of the bathroom door and Zac on the other whilst paws constantly bat each other under the gap of the door.

The vets have been fantastic and weve come to an arrangement as they too didnt want to contemplate the alternative when this op gives him such an excellent change of recovery.  He's such a happy and cheeky kitteh and he's been soooooooo brave and good through all this.

[attachment deleted by admin]
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
Re: Zigster.
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2011, 12:36:36 PM »

Poor Ziggy.........but, like all youngsters, he will learn the hard way.  :(

:)

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2011, 12:38:03 PM »

Poor little Ziggy. :(

And it's really good to know that he seems to be on the mend. Here's hoping that he carries on that way. :flower:
  Eric

AdrianH

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2011, 12:59:40 PM »

:'(  Ouch, that must have been a long hard drop, most little ones bounce well and have fairly flexible bones, to do that sort of damage there was some serious impact.

Lucky you have a good vet there, I hope the recovery is swift and pain free.

tonyappuk

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2011, 01:35:15 PM »

Our neighbors have recently adopted a rescue dog and before she came to them she had had the same op as your little kitten. Although she still walks a bit awkwardly and often on three legs she is obviously happy and in no pain. The op seems  rather severe but the results are well worthwhile. I'm sure he'll be fine,
Tony

camallison

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2011, 02:09:13 PM »

Speedy recovery Ziggy ....... and keepout of those trees!

Colin

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2011, 03:43:41 PM »

Poor Ziggy  :'(

Hope he makes a speedy recovery  :flower:

chrissie

• Kitizen
  • little sweetie
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2011, 04:14:03 PM »

Awwww poor little soul   :(   ...hope he makes a good recovery Kitz and when allowed out again, remembers to keep out of those trees!  :o
Don\\'t go to sleep ANGRY!!!  Stay awake and plot your revenge......

jeffbb

• Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2011, 05:54:23 PM »

Hi
Glad he is recovering  :)

Regards Jeff
zen user

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2011, 02:09:06 AM »

Burakkucat sends his biggest & best purr, before going into a quiet corner to wipe his eyes. :'(
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

scottiesmum

« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2011, 05:08:51 PM »

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaw a BIG  :hug: for  brave little Ziggi  ....I'm sure   he'll be fine  :flower:

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2011, 06:31:41 PM »

Thank you everyone... yep he seems to be doing remarkably well.

Today's 'achievement' was navigation of the cat-flap. 
No he's not meant to..  no he previously didnt know how to. 
But I was doing some gardening with Ziggy supposedly locked inside.  One min he was safely watching me through the perspex flap.  2 seconds later he had it sussed and was out like a shot and now theres no stopping him.

The garden is 'supposed' to be safe and he shouldnt be able to get out..  but theres just one big tree which was obviously tempting to a cat.  He did give it a wide berth today though.

@ Adrian.  He fell about 12 foot..  but landed on a rockery stone border edging.. bounced off that.. then fell about another 10 inches on to the patio.
My reaction was (and heard by my neighbour who had been laughing at him trying to go investigate the magpies) "Sheet' as he fell and then "sheet" as he bounced.

@tony.  Yep - the vet says the op normally has a huge success rate.  Its just going to take a bit of time..  However since the stitches came out, there seems to be no stopping him now and he is taking more steps each day on it.  The rest of the time hes become very quick on 3 legs very soon.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

silversurfer44

• Kitizen
  • Lord Muck
    • Ben Novice Weather
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2011, 06:35:32 PM »

Oh dear! I have just read this today. I'm sure he will be just fine with your care.
Let's hope he has learned not to climb trees. I was always getting told off for doing that. Mind you I never tried to fly.
Colin II : It's no good being a pessimist, it wouldn't work anyway.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2011, 06:46:24 PM »

lol colin...  I hope hes learn the lesson now that he cant fly either.  ???

He actually spend a huge portion of his time snoozing in the 'cat kennel'. 
Some of the long term users of the forum may remember me building it for my old Chaz-cat when he was poorly., so he could still 'survey his territory'
Its basically a modified small dog kennel, which is sheltered by bushes, but the opening faces South and therefore during most of the day it lets the sun stream through.  I had a major flash-back seeing him curled up in there with his face catching the sun, because he looked sooooooooo much like a mini Chaz.  Its nice to see the cat kennel being put to good use again :)
-----

anything