Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: remote control adsl ?  (Read 2949 times)

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
remote control adsl ?
« on: October 03, 2007, 04:36:49 PM »

I run XP SP2, my ISP is Virgin media to which I connect with a Speedtouch 330 ADSL modem.

All day yesterday, when the computer was idle, the connection box kept flashing onto the screen, not the Speedtouch

Connection thing, but the little one that appears if you open up Outlook Express when offline.  :(

I would click the cancel button, it would go away only to reappear five minutes later.  >:(

Being totally paranoid, I spent loads of time doing anti-nasty sweeps, all clean, checking msconfig startup entries, nothing

new or different in there, and running through scheduled tasks, and those progs with potential auto-updates, but could find

nothing that was triggering this wee window to appear.
The event viewer held no clues, and apart from this, the PC was performing just fine.
There has been no new software or hardware installed, nor has anything been uninstalled.

This problem never happened prior to yesterday, and has not happened today.  :)

Later in the day, when on line, the connection was suddenly dropped.

I was all the time aware of the fact that BT engineers were doing their thing in the exchange which is about 400 yards along

the road.

I can understand a dropped connection if an engineering has pulled out a plug or whatever, but...............and at long last,

my question...................is there anything that an engineer could do in the exchange to cause it to excite my adsl

connection and order it to flash the connection box onto the screen?

Or, was it just one of these things that computers do ??  :no:

Pwiggler

• Kitizen
Re: remote control adsl ?
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2007, 08:14:01 AM »

Hi TD

Can you let us know what this box looks like, what app it pertains to and post a screeny of it if poss plz?

Paul

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2007, 12:55:54 PM »

Thanks, pwiggler, for you reply.

Wee screeny herewith............the box that was popping up is quite innocent, I think, and does usually flash up if I open Outlook Express when off line..........other than that I never see it.

At the time this box was flashing up, it appeared even if Outlook Express was not open and usually when the computer was idle and it would make itself known on the desktop.

Must say that since the engineers have stopped fiddling in the exchange, the problem has not re-appeared.

[attachment deleted by admin]

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2007, 01:33:14 PM »

>> is there anything that an engineer could do in the exchange to cause it to excite my adsl connection and order it to flash the connection box onto the screen

Not that I'm aware of - in the way you have been seeing it.

That box normally comes up when an application on your PC is trying to access a new connection to the internet.

Make sure you have your connection set to "Never dial a connection".

IE >>  Tools >> Internet Options >>  "Connections" tab >> check the radio box marked "never dial a connection".

adsl is classed as "always on" therefore you shouldnt need to "dial".
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2007, 02:33:31 PM »

Thank you, Kitz, for your advice which I have followed and have made that change in the IE settings.

Being old and grey, I am just puzzled as to why that all happened suddenly, only to stop as suddenly.   ???

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2007, 03:29:33 PM »

The trying to dial a connection thing is something that quite often seems to occur and is normally easily remedied by changing those settings.

What triggered it off  all of a sudden though I couldnt say :/
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Pwiggler

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2007, 06:09:21 PM »

nice 1 kitz

if it comes back then goto control panel then networks and see if a rogue application had created a new newwork node ... if it has then just right click it and delete.

Paul

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2007, 12:31:27 PM »

Hello, Pwiggler, thank you for your post and my apologies for the long time in replying.

Will do as you suggest, but I did that when the thing was occuring, and there was nothing untoward anywhere, I even had my hijackthis log analised by an anti-nasty expert, and all was clean.

Just one of these things, I suppose.