Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Inconsistent Speeds, Out Of Peak Times  (Read 1454 times)

GigabitEthernet

• Kitizen
Inconsistent Speeds, Out Of Peak Times
« on: April 23, 2011, 10:42:04 AM »

I have recently changed to Xilo from BT Broadband, and on BT Broadband with an IP profile of 4500 I never got below 3.5Mb (or there abouts) even during peak times. But, on Xilo (and I am not in the 10 day training period) I am getting speeds that jump around all the time. I sometimes get 4Mbps which is right but then an hour or so later I get 1-2Mb. I reported this to Xilo, but as it's above my minimum speed there is nothing they can do. I have attatched my stats below, can anybody shed some light on this situation?

[attachment deleted by admin]

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: Inconsistent Speeds, Out Of Peak Times
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2011, 11:39:19 AM »

There's nothing wrong with your stats. Can you check your IP profile by going to http://speedtester.bt.com (it's very slow, but it usually gets there in the end). If your connection is stable at the speed shown above, your IP profile should be 5500 kbps, and if this proves to be the case, then your periodic slowdowns are due either to exchange congestion or traffic management/congestion at your ISP.
  Eric

coolsnakeman

• Reg Member
    • IT Support Belfast
Re: Inconsistent Speeds, Out Of Peak Times
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2011, 02:37:35 PM »

Hey,

Agree with roseway those stats are perfectly fine. Try running a speedtest on that website roseway give to you when you are experiencing the throughput issues and also run another one when your not experiencing throughput issues to match the results. Also try breaking it down aswell by disconnecting anything that is not adsl related 1 at a time running the speedtest. Examples of non adsl equipment is the likes of phones,sky tv,splitters,fax machines, alarms etc. Also run the speedtester on 2 different machines aswell i would suggest.

Regards
Gary

anything