Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Nothing in particular and of little significance. Just a general moan about BT  (Read 1505 times)

mywifeshusband

Those of you who are familiar with my posts since June 2007 will know all about my ambivalent relationship with BT.  I have been so close to switching so many times that it even surprises me that I’m still with them. I suppose it is a case of better the devil you know rather than the devil you don’t.

My old post are there for all to read and I’m not going to go all over them again here other than to say they relate to the vicissitudes associated with a long copper and aluminium line and all that portends  for a fast and reliable service.

However, that blessed day has come when with fingers crossed I can expect within a few weeks that my 1 mbps (sorry 0.97 kbps) fixed connection will metamorphosise into a beautiful new fibre optic entity of 27mbps. (So I’m told!)

I’m sure that BT have the ability and the technology to do this thing, it is just that from experience I fear that the usual operational, functional and managerial gremlins will get in the way in just he same way as they always have I the past.

The problem is that no one in BT seems to know what is happening even within his own little sphere of operations let alone in the wider organisation. Again, I recommend wading through some of my old posts. Here though is my latest illustration.

With (hopefully) Infinity, just a few weeks away and being well out of contract with BT and paying over the odds for my 1mbps fixed Broadband, I thought it wise to get in on the new deal they are offering at less than half the cost and umpteen times the speed. So I ring up and tell them my requirements and get all the usual assurances that I will be more than satisfied with the new service which included a positive assurance that I WILL be offered a “up to 40 mbps service on of before the 1st of July 2011”. Yes she actually repeated it when I asked her to confirm it. Fine I though I can now just put my feet up and wait.

Then I  received an e’mail and a letter from which it was obvious they were planning to re MAX my service using the existing copper and aluminium wires prior to Infinity coming my way. OH dear! Potentially this looks like a repeat of the disaster that occurred in the summer of 2007. (See my posts of that antiquity)

Anyway, I fire off an e’mail to the people in BT who sent me the notification that this was all about to happen explaining in detail just why this is not a wise move.
No response!
So three days later I sent a follow up e’mail, again setting out my concerns.
Again, no response.
Then I get a call for BT advising me that they are ready to make the changes advised in the letter they sent to me. So I ask them if they have received my e’mails. “Oh yes they say” and then go on to tell me in detail just how delighted I’ll be with the new service. “Have you read my e’mails?” I ask. “Oh yes” they reply. “Did you understand them?  I ask “Yes” They reply. “So you know what is likely to happen if you try to remax my service don’t you?” “Oh we are just ‘sales’” I’m told. “That’s a technical matter”. “So you will have passed my e’mails on to them haven’t you?” I ask. “Oh no we can’t  do that Sir, there is no way we can pass on e’mails, but the changes will take place just as we have advised.”

So it turns out nothing has been done and I’m due to be re-maxed next day. Well I do get a phone number out of them and speak to the ‘Technical help desk from who I get a categorical assurance that  until my line is ready for  Infinity I’ll stay on my Fixed Broadband connection.

Next morning I find I’ve been MAXED anyway!

That was two days ago and to give BT there due the new MAX connection has bee holding up better than expected. I have my fingers crossed!.

Also BT have rung up in response to my e’mails, to whom I made the complaint that within BT the right hand knows not what the left is doing; - and worse, there is apparently no interdepartmental communications.

He assured me that he would make a report, and ensure that all these issues were put right and he apologised.

Oh how I do wish I could believe him.

GunJack

• Reg Member

fingers crossed and good luck :)
8)..........Gettin' There, Wherever There is..........8)