Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Skype  (Read 4284 times)

jazz

• Reg Member

This is a dumb question but it is something I know nothing about and feel the need for more information and advice before proceeding (by the way - if I've put this post in the wrong section perhaps a mod will be good enough to move it to the right place??).

Iwant to download Skype software from the www.skype.com site so that I can link to my son's computer/webcam in order to see my grandchildren who live some distance from me.  My concern is that this software is P2P which is something I have always avoided for security reasons (phobias  :'( ). 

I use Windows (yes, I know Linux is wonderful but I don't understand it at all) with AV software (Avast free version) and Firewall (Kerio free version).  I also run Windows Defender, Spybot and AdAware.  When I go to "Shields Up" I'm quite happy to see that I'm so stealthed I don't appear to exist.

If I download and use Skype software then I will be opening my computer up to easier access by others I presume.   

Am I being over worried about security in this context? (I am avoiding even looking at BBC iPlayer for the same security reasons).  Are there any precautions I should be taking if I do download and use the software from Skype?

I understand the bandwidth implications of viewing webcam pics but I only intend to view for short periods once or twice a month.  I also realise that there are bandwidth implications from the uploading element of P2P (does this uploading go on whenever the computer is switched on or only when the P2P software is running?

Thanks in advance for any information or advice

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: Skype
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2007, 06:49:11 PM »

P2P only opens a small number of specific ports in the firewall, and only software which is written to use those ports will respond to attempts to gain access from outside. So the only risk is the P2P software itself. Of course there's a theoretical risk of bugs in the software providing a route for intruders to get in, so I suppose that it comes down to whether or not you trust the software authors to do a good job.
  Eric

Pwiggler

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2007, 08:15:51 PM »

jazz, just use messenger... its simple and safe

Paul

Accordion

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2007, 11:18:55 PM »

Does this put your mind at rest?

http://security.itworld.com/nl/security_strat/01162007/

QUOTE:
While Skype use can create quite a bit of traffic on the network, and it can allow unmanaged inside to outside communications, it is hardly a high-risk application. The code has proven to be robust, more secure than many of the other chat clients and more worm-resistant than many attackers had hoped. The cryptography surrounding the voice and authentication data seems to have resisted known attacks and is rated by more than a few security researchers as highly effective. A quick check of known vulnerability databases showed only nine issues in total, with only three in the last year. All are patched in current versions.

Patched in 2005
http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1759,1877000,00.asp

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
  • If it ain't broke....... I'll soon fix it.
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2007, 02:26:48 AM »

Does this put your mind at rest?

Well that takes care of my comments (so as not to repeat which has already been said above)

Providing "as per usual" your security software is kept up-to-date then you run no more risk than downloading your e-mail.

In the last 2 years since running Skype, i have not had a Skype related problem.
Hope this also helps to put your mind at ease.

jazz

• Reg Member
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2007, 10:20:53 AM »

Thanks for your information and help.  I feel much reassured and will go ahead! :)