Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: google search box  (Read 3768 times)

jeffbb

• Kitizen
google search box
« on: April 13, 2011, 08:01:30 PM »

Hi
please see attachment

When I type in some search criteria in the Google search box(at end of navigation toolbar), a drop down list presents some suggestions . Unfortunately this list is not usable ,if I click on one of the Items the list disappears . No search is initiated . If I click on the search the web button using my original search criteria then web sites are listed as normal complete with large google search box .entering a search criteria there produces a list which operates as expected , that is if I select a suggestion from the list it will present web pages with that criteria .

Is there a way to get the small search box use the drop down list ?

Thanks

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: April 13, 2011, 08:03:41 PM by jeffbb »
zen user

jeffbb

• Kitizen
Re: google search box
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2011, 08:18:32 PM »

Hi

Must be a bug ,its generating errors in the error log when I try to select any one of the suggestions .

Regards Jeff
zen user

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2011, 10:33:00 PM »

I've never seen this problem, I'm afraid. It works as it should do here with FF 3.6.17pre.
  Eric

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2011, 07:27:04 AM »

Hi Jeff.

You mean the predictive text option in the Google search box on Google toolbar?

There is some sort of bug that needs to be addressed.

It was fine pre FF4.

If i use the search box that came with FF4 its fine,it just seems to be a problem associated with Google tolbar.The search box that came installed with FF4 can be adjusted to whatever your own search engine preferences are from a drop down list..Yahoo,Bing etc

AdrianH

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2011, 07:38:45 AM »

Probably a corrupt upgrade, try a fresh install of FF.  The search system works fine on my test machine with FF4.

jeffbb

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2011, 10:36:37 AM »

Hi
@UB quote :You mean the predictive text option in the Google search box on Google toolbar?

Yes that's the one ,worked for me prior to V4.

quote The search box that came installed with FF4 can be adjusted to whatever your own search engine preferences are from a drop down list..Yahoo,Bing etc

Yes I set it to the Google one . I cannot seem to be able to reset it to anything else .Any ideas ?

@Adrian : probably try a fresh set up ,that if all else fails ,can work around it just a nuisance .

Regards Jeff

zen user

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2011, 10:54:15 AM »

Have you tried right clicking the Home icon and then>Customise>restore default set ?

jeffbb

• Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2011, 06:38:30 PM »

Hi
The only home icon seems to take me back to my home page .edit  oops did left click :-[
However I have got around it using the tool button /layouts/classic tool bar layout , that puts the Yahoo search box in place . That works as expected  ;D
then using View button /toolbars/Google toolbar I then get the Google search as normal and that works as expected !.Why it did not work in other position Is weird . does not work?

Regards Jeff

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: April 14, 2011, 06:46:15 PM by jeffbb »
zen user

anything