Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: 2Wire 2700 logging  (Read 3733 times)

tonyappuk

• Reg Member
2Wire 2700 logging
« on: April 11, 2011, 12:46:53 AM »

I have recently obtained one of these by EBay auction, and extensive reading on here, the tripod site and IDNetters has enabled me to get it going with Plusnet, my ISP. It's not as fast as my Speedtouch but not by much, so I thought I would persist. Unfortunately it seems to want to resync with the exchange 3 or so times a day which is not good for the profile! To find out why I have looked at the detailed log and this is where I would be very grateful for some advice. The log has a lot of stuff from 2008 marked at the beginning of each line INF. Then there are many lines starting with one
INF    P0000-00-00T00:00:01 up to one saying INF    P0000-00-00T00:00:57    ulib:  Set system clock to: 2011-04-10T21:59:19+01:00. After this last one the true date and time are used to log the log the the most recent reboot part of which says "reset daily statistics" and "reset weekly statistics" so there is no history as to why the router rebooted.
My question is can I stop this resetting of the log so that I can see what is causing it or can some kind person suggest another course of action apart from throwing the router away? And why is the stuff from 2008 retained, please?
Tony
Edit: Could the resetting to the last reset time indicate a power failure/PSU fault? It's just occurred to me that the log must restart when power is first applied and presumably needs continuous power to remember its data. I think I may have found the answer but is there someone with more intelligence able to confirm? my only excuse is it's late!
« Last Edit: April 11, 2011, 01:16:00 AM by tonyappuk »

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: 2Wire 2700 logging
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2011, 07:03:04 AM »

As you say in your edit, I think that what is happening is that the router is not just re-syncing, but is re-booting. The 2008 log entries are simply the default date which it adopts after a reboot, before it establishes the NTP link and gets the correct time. I've never known one of these routers spontaneously reboot, so I suspect that you may have a faulty one, or a faulty power supply for it.
  Eric

waltergmw

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2011, 07:31:46 AM »

@ Tony,

I agree with Eric. I've not seen a modem behave as you describe.

You might try a full factory reset which might clear out all log data, except the original firmware start date.
You would then have to re-enter the data and your wireless configuration requirements again.
You might also try erasing the log to remove the 2008 data. The log data seems to be retained through a power cut, but there must be a finite limit to the quantity of data that can be stored.

If the power supply is faulty you might hear it whistling. (Don't use a different supply unless it's the same 5.1 Volt DC 3 Amp output.)
Note that when I (purposely) connect an un-configured modem to a line to obtain the diagnostic data, the line entries show an incrementing time starting from zero in the form +000 days 00:01:23  .
EDIT:-  This also demonstrates that the modem has to be authenticated to a service provider to obtain the current date and time, but synchronising with the DSLAM / MSAN is sufficient for the rest of the diagnostic data.

Just for comparison the attached picture shows a long-line poor PlusNet service I'm monitoring at present.

Kind regards,
Walter

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: April 11, 2011, 07:43:48 AM by waltergmw »

waltergmw

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2011, 07:45:34 AM »

@ Tony,

Sorry I've just realised I attached the wrong picture. Here's the one I meant to include.

K R
Walter

[attachment deleted by admin]

BritBrat

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2011, 09:50:27 AM »

@Walter.

Can you have two routers connected at the same time one just monitoring the system and the other as normal use?

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2011, 10:13:27 AM »

You can't have two ADSL routers connected at the same time.
  Eric

tonyappuk

• Reg Member
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2011, 01:53:14 PM »

Thanks everyone for your helpful replies. Because there are many many entries like "httpc_req_set_url parse error / badformat" followed by "Previous log entry repeated 498 times" I think there is a serious problem here. I see that Digidave has "5V 2Wire 2700HG replacement power supply" on EBay for about £8 inc p and p and I was thinking of trying a new PSU having read that these PSUs can cause strange probs whilst not actually failing. Have either Eric or Walter tried one of these PSUs , please? It may be worth a gamble and if it doesn't fix it I'll bin it.
Tony

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2011, 02:43:49 PM »

I did buy a 2700HG from Digidave, and it came with a replacement power supply (not the 2-Wire one) which I imagine is the same one as you refer to. It certainly looks the same. It works fine.
  Eric

tonyappuk

• Reg Member
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2011, 02:47:11 PM »

Thanks, Eric
Tony

waltergmw

• Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2011, 04:22:23 PM »

@ Tony,

I had not ventured away from the proper 2Wire PSU. One thing that concerned me apart from it being non standard is that the 2Wire PSU has a higher load capacity than the replacement one.

Just to add to Eric's point of only 1 ADSL modem on a line; the 2wire browser interface seems remarkably resilient PROVIDED you don't do a total system reset destroying the ADSL connection parameters. I monitor and even re-boot modems remotely using LogMeIn into a browser on a computer connected via an ethernet cable to the modem. At re-boot the remote computer goes off line but then pops back up usually within 60 seconds on most reasonable lines. When I know I'm dealing with a total horror that can take 20 minutes even to synchronise, I only reboot the modem before going to lunch !

Re the large number of errors, these happen because of the lack of a connection to a valid provisioning server (or similar equipment) but don't seem to cause any problems at all to the end users. With the exception of the AAISP service which is already usually configured for IPv6, all other providers including LLU ones seem quite happy with the 2Wire modem interface. This will no doubt change over time depending upon the availability of upgraded firmware on the positive side, or when more ISPs configure their equipment to handle IPv6 on the negative side.

Kind regards,
Walter

Barrie

« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2011, 04:29:06 PM »

I see that Digidave has "5V 2Wire 2700HG replacement power supply" on EBay for about £8 inc p and p and I was thinking of trying a new PSU having read that these PSUs can cause strange probs whilst not actually failing. Have either Eric or Walter tried one of these PSUs , please? It may be worth a gamble and if it doesn't fix it I'll bin it.
Tony

Just a thought, but wouldn't it be just as well to buy a complete brand new 2700HGV on ebay complete with New Router, new PSU, etc - I just picked one up for £11 inc delivery. Then you can test both the Router and PSU independently. As I say, just a thought.

Good luck.

Barrie