Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: AA payments system is criticised  (Read 1370 times)

CurlyWhirly

• Reg Member
AA payments system is criticised
« on: April 09, 2011, 11:21:19 PM »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-13013183

I'm not with the AA as I have my own motorcycle breakdown recovery policy but I had the same problem as the AA customers are having when I was with AOL years ago.

I originally signed up using my debit card and AOL continued to take out money even when I had moved to Zen  >:(

In the end I pretended I had lost my debit card and rang my bank up and after explaining to them that my card was lost (not!), they issued me with another one with a different card number !

AA customers should try doing this if they want to leave the AA.
Mike

CurlyWhirly

• Reg Member
Re: AA payments system is criticised
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2011, 11:24:08 PM »

However, only companies who accept this type of payment instruction are able to cancel it - neither the customer nor their bank is able to do so.
That's a daft idea  ???

It didn't work with me though as outlined above  ::)
Mike

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2011, 11:30:57 PM »

These continuous payment authority arrangements are to be avoided at all costs. It puzzles me why the AA should offer a greater discount for this type of payment than for direct debit, because both are equally easy for the company to collect. The only practical difference is that the customer can cancel a DD. I hesitate to make accusations, but it looks almost deliberate...
  Eric

CurlyWhirly

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2011, 11:44:29 PM »

It puzzles me why the AA should offer a greater discount for this type of payment than for direct debit, because both are equally easy for the company to collect. The only practical difference is that the customer can cancel a DD. I hesitate to make accusations, but it looks almost deliberate...
Agreed.

I'd rather pay a bit more on my AA premium and have the ability to cancel the agreement without any hassle !
Mike

AdrianH

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2011, 07:18:16 AM »

They are famous (or should that be infamous?) for this and there is a lot of complaint around the motoring forums re the AA and this system.

Add to that that they are renewing membership at huge increases for exisiting members whilst offering new sign ups at greatly reduced fees  ............  >:(  ( Personally I wouldn't touch them for any serice at all.)

I always look for DD/SO/PayPal payments as I have full control, I got caught once , long ago with a company that carried on taking charges for an expired contract and went through ther hoops trying to stop the money going out.

anything