Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: What are we up to ?  (Read 2131 times)

waltergmw

• Kitizen
What are we up to ?
« on: July 17, 2011, 10:10:48 AM »

Gentlefolk,

One has to wonder what the UK is doing. I wonder if BT's solution is being allowed to preempt the government subsidised one ?

http://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/news/at-a-glance/main-section/exclusive_slow_customer_take_up_delays_100m_flagship_broadband_project_1_3584819

Kind regards,
Walter

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
Re: What are we up to ?
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2011, 10:18:11 AM »

According to their website my own line would be enabled till Oct 2011(approx),and tbh the companies that are in the scheme I have never heard of,perhaps that is a reason that users are slow to take up their fttc.
There is also the cost involved and not everyone who is in the digital region area have slow broadband connections,so are unwilling to pay the extra as they are happy with what the get already for a lot less money.

There is no mention of my local exchange(Attercliffe)being upgraded,perhaps that is the reason BT is holding back,expecting users to take up the Digital Region fftc.

And bear in mind South Yorkshire is one of the countries poorest area's.

I would much prefer my local exchange to be upgrade to fttc,then I am free choose who I want as an isp,not restricted to 4 companies I have never heard of.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2011, 10:25:20 AM by UncleUB »

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2011, 04:38:46 PM »

I live in East Anglia and am fortunate to be connected to a Market 3 exchange (EABSE) that not only has a number of LLU CPs but is also fibre (TTC) enabled. As a user, I am connected using an "Up to 8 MBps" service and typically get something in the order of 3.5 Mbps (down) / 0.7 Mbps (up) throughput. I can cope quite happily with those throughput speeds, though 4 Mbps (down) / 1 Mbps (up) would be nicer. What I currently do not have is consistent stability. I certainly have no requirements for 40 Mbps (down) / 10 Mbs (up) . . . just a requirement for stability and less contention.

Perhaps there are other similarly minded people in this country?
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

razpag

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2011, 04:54:42 PM »

I live in East Anglia and am fortunate to be connected to a Market 3 exchange (EABSE) that not only has a number of LLU CPs but is also fibre (TTC) enabled. As a user, I am connected using an "Up to 8 MBps" service and typically get something in the order of 3.5 Mbps (down) / 0.7 Mbps (up) throughput. I can cope quite happily with those throughput speeds, though 4 Mbps (down) / 1 Mbps (up) would be nicer. What I currently do not have is consistent stability. I certainly have no requirements for 40 Mbps (down) / 10 Mbs (up) . . . just a requirement for stability and less contention.

Perhaps there are other similarly minded people in this country?

Unfortunately B*Cat, unless 'noise' (and I'm talking way into minus dB figures)  can be completely erradicated, then I'm afraid fluctuations will always be prevalent. The more users on-line within your cable, the more 'noise'. I'm not sure, but I think you can pay more money for a less contended circuit ?? As with all things, money talks.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2011, 05:53:01 PM »

Indeedy, RP. ;D
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2011, 03:55:19 PM »

Here is the follow up email from my MP which I received today concerning 'Digital Region'

Dear Mr xxxxxx

Further to your email, please find my original reply of the 11th of March below which I believe does explain that if BT do not upgrade the exchange in the foreseeable to provide a BT fibre optic service, the Digital Region South Yorkshire initiative will be upgrading the Attercliffe exchange by October 2011 and will be installing their own equipment in the telephone exchange and laying the required cabling. The fibre optic service will then be available through a range of local internet service providers.

However, I see that we have had no reply from BT so I will chase them for the response and comeback to you in due course.

Please do not hesitate to contact me if you have any further questions on this or any other issue.

Regards

Clive Betts MP

Even he still seems to be in the dark as to what is actually happening. :shrug2: