Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Linux Mint  (Read 4343 times)

Lord Gumble

Linux Mint
« on: April 09, 2011, 06:13:33 PM »

Has anyone tried it? Its fantastic. I use it on a day to day basis. Its Ubuntu based, and does everything I need. I have a netbook as well, but I use Ubuntu Netbook edition on that. Windows  7 came on both my pc's but found them slow, too memory hungry.

Well Thats what I use anyways! :)

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: Linux Mint
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2011, 06:36:00 PM »

Mint is just about the only Ubuntu derivative that I would give house room to. Better still, they are producing versions based on Debian Testing (which is what I use on my main system) and that's a serious contender (all in my opinion of course).
  Eric

Lord Gumble

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2011, 06:42:36 PM »

I've seen on their site they are doing Debian based flavours. I've always used ubuntu based with Gnome (KDE looks good, but hasn't been as stable on my machine)

I'm going to install the Debian flavour shortly on a fresh HDD, and see how it performs. Its always nice to play with something new, and if it works better? well theres always that as well!!

LG

risk_reversal

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2011, 07:39:12 PM »

I recently tried Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick (Gnome). At first from a Live CD and like it so much that I did a full install on a laptop also running xp.

I had previously been using Puppy Linux which I found easier than other Linux distros I had tried. Also Puppy was the only one where I managed to get my wifi working reasonably easily.

With Ubuntu 10.10, the wifi was a breeze and worked virtually immediately (well on that laptop in any case).

On the flip side though I did try the Ubuntu 10.10 Live cd on a desktop machine and things did not go so well, so much also depends on hw configuration.

Still unlike Puppy, I can double click folders and I am slowly trying to learn more about it. The desktop effects that can be created in Ubuntu are also great.

Need to learn a bit more about wine and how that works though.

Good Luck

geep

• Reg Member
    • My ST546 Statistics
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2011, 11:27:09 AM »

Hmm. On top of Ubuntu, is it. Sounds like complication on top of obfuscation. OK until it goes wrong. I'm prejudiced, though. Any packages that aren't supplied with my Slackware installation, then I prefer to compile myself. And several of the applications I use aren't available as Ubuntu packages, being Release Candidates. I have tried Ubuntu, and found it great until something went wrong with the automatically downloaded dependencies. Then it's a real pain to recover things, at least in my experience.
Have found Puppy excellent for rescuing data from distressed Windows installations.
Cheers,
Peter 

risk_reversal

• Reg Member
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2011, 11:59:34 AM »

Yes using Puppy for windows problems or in fact for PC hw related problems is excellent and always my first choice. Even more so as after you get to the Puppy desktop, one can remove the Live cd as it not required any more