Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: SLR Lens Filter  (Read 11276 times)

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
Re: SLR Lens Filter
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2011, 08:33:30 AM »

I apologise for not responding to your post yesterday, unkyUb.......the old brain shut down when my BP went awry.

Glad to see that roseway has posted a comprehensive reply to your points.......and I would agree with all he has said.  :)

As to the polariser.........first of all, yes you can still attach the hood but there may be problems depending on which thread the hood screws onto.
If the hood normally screws into the filter thread on the front of the lens, no problem as there is a same sized thread on the front of the filter. That all assumes that your hood is round, if it is square or petal shaped at it's front end, you couls possiblt get the cornes of that front end intruding into the scene.
  If, however, the hood screws onto it's own thread elsewhere on the lens then you have a problem in that the hood will prevent access to the filter and thus prevent you rotating it for effect.
In that case you would have to adjust the pola. then attach the hood.

I realise that budget constraints are influencing you decision....but in all honesty I would place a ND Grad before a polariser on the priority list.
Lets go back to your earlier question about which filter to use for a seascape.
OK, you see your scene and think "great, on with the polariser and saturate the colours...also it will knock out the reflections from the water. No reflections so I can see the seabed, and capture that lovely white sand under the water...or use the same pola. technique at rock pools...eliminate the surface and snap the crabs and thinks creeping around on the bottom. And to boot get a lovely blue sky"
But........there is a snag. The sky, as discussed earlier in the thread, is very much brighter than the foreground and when the foreground exposure is right you may well get a washed out sky. The polariser will not correct that imbalance.....it will attempt to saturate that sky but if the sky is burned out to such an extent that there is no detail there, then there is nothing to be polarised.
The polariser will not balance foreground and sky........for that you want the ND Grad.
Conversely, the ND Grad will balance but not saturate the image.........so what to do to achieve both effects ? You use both filters together ! !! and that is why the square filter system in a holder is the better option...much easier to use.
However that costs money, so let us try to economise........by not getting the polariser. For those on a budget, let us not forget that we are talking digital photography here...and the effect of the polariser can be achieved in any good, free image editor simply by pushing up the saturation and contrast levels.

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2011, 09:00:56 AM »

I apologise for not responding to your post yesterday, unkyUb.......the old brain shut down when my BP went awry.

Never an apology needed TD.............Hope you are feeling better  :)

Thank you for all your comments.I do understand where you are coming from re altering the sky etc via a photo editor.

The one thing that I found and was not happy about was taking landscape shots on a hazy day.The haze seemed to wash over the photo.

Example(Symonds Yat Sept 2009)

Square ND Filters>is this set here what you mean,plus I would need a lens (in my case 55mm)adapter as well.

http://www.warehouseexpress.com/buy-cokin-h250a-nd-gradual-filter-kit/p1000795
« Last Edit: April 06, 2011, 09:15:47 AM by UncleUB »

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2011, 09:19:47 AM »

I have replicated (in part ) the effect of an ND grad filter on one of your images, unkyUb.
Now, I cannot get the sky back as it was lost from the original image....burned out by virtue of the oft mentioned difference in brightness between land and sky. Suffice to say, had such a filter been used at the time, there would be a full sky showing in the image.

However, the first image shows what it would look like when you look through the camera when and ND grad is attached....very dark at the top and very clear at the bottom
The second image shows the result achieved when the photo is taken......as above, we have lost the sky but the background distant hills are back in play....and bye-bye to the washed out, misty middle area.  :)............just think what that would have looked like had the filter been used and you had a lovely sky in there..

edit to add.........yes, that is what I mean by the square filter..you would need the filter, the holder and the adaptor ring.

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: April 06, 2011, 09:24:14 AM by tuftedduck »

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2011, 10:18:05 AM »

Thanks TD  :)

Re the various filters x2,x4 etc........what scenarios do you define which to use.....is it the brighter the condition the higher number of filter is used.?

Getting back to my posted photo's.....would a UV filter not help reduce that hazy cast?

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2011, 12:15:24 PM »

These ND graduated filters come in "stops" ....1 stop, 2 stop, 3 stop......1 will reduce the light level by half, 2 by a factor of 6 and 3 by a factor of 9.
A 3 stop is, generally, too strong... a 1 stop is mostly not strong enough.......a 2 stop is the one to use for most conditions.

In the pics. we are looking at today, a haze would have some effect on the misty bits in the middle but would do nothing to balance the light and bring the sky back in. 

Try a compromise. You will want a haze filter, if for no other reason than as a lens protector. Buy that and see if it improve your pics. whilst at the same time mulling over the other filters and their cost etc.......then decide one way or 'tother.

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2011, 12:37:41 PM »

Try a compromise. You will want a haze filter, if for no other reason than as a lens protector. Buy that and see if it improve your pics. whilst at the same time mulling over the other filters and their cost etc.......then decide one way or 'tother

Spoken like a true Yorkshirman TD  ;D

All your advice has been taken on board and logged in the old memory banks.  :)

I think I will get a haze filter for starters(which will also help to protect my lens(would it be worth getting 2,one for each lens?),leave the polariser alone and then get at some point a set of ND graduated filters.

Am I right in thinking that Kood are a good brand?

http://www.premier-ink.co.uk/photographic/threaded-filters/uv-/-haze/kood-55mm-uv-haze-filter-p-1422.html

Or spend a bit more and get a Hoya one

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Hoya-55mm-Haze-Screw-Filter/dp/B00009R98X/ref=sr_1_6?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1302089921&sr=1-6
« Last Edit: April 06, 2011, 12:40:48 PM by UncleUB »

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2011, 01:15:44 PM »

Kood are very good.............my haze and warm-up filters are Kood, my ND grads. and my polariser are Lee ( now, they are expensive.. :( )

One for each lens is a good idea...just then leave them on and no fiddling about changing lens to lens.

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #22 on: April 06, 2011, 01:23:31 PM »

Kood are very good.............my haze and warm-up filters are Kood, my ND grads. and my polariser are Lee ( now, they are expensive.. :( )

One for each lens is a good idea...just then leave them on and no fiddling about changing lens to lens.

I have just seen this Hoya one on Amazon........£8.75 inc del(which seems like a good price to me)?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00006HOAP/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&m=A3GI79VBNSVFZI

Price of Lee filters....... :swoon:

« Last Edit: April 06, 2011, 01:25:42 PM by UncleUB »

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #23 on: April 06, 2011, 01:38:14 PM »

Please see PM.

Kood better than Hoya, Hoya better than Hama........but in reality all much of a muchness. Any will do the job just fine.

BritBrat

• Kitizen
« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2012, 05:43:11 PM »

I would go for Kood filters and the Kood P-Type ND Filter Kit - £49.99 is a good starter kit.
Pages: 1 [2]