Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Radioplayer  (Read 4191 times)

AdrianH

Radioplayer
« on: April 01, 2011, 08:56:22 AM »

http://www.radioplayer.co.uk/     (blog/info http://www.ukradioplayer.info/ )  went live yesterday.

I had not heard of the project but found it on a news site today, the idea being to bring all radio staions available online to one site.

So if you like radio over the net this is the place for you to visit.

scottiesmum

Re: Radioplayer
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2011, 09:38:55 AM »

Strange  .....    I was listening to the radio on BBC iPlayer   .....  SO,    disconnected from that  ....   I clicked on your link Adrian and then clicked  'Listen'  and the BBC iPlayer came up again .... with the station I'd be listening to  :'(    I was aware that this has been in the pipeline for a while and that it would offer the same service as the iPlayer to those of us abroad   .....   I usually access the radio on line by clicking on the BBC Home page and then on the station required  ....   I'm assuming that if I just carry on doing that I'll get the programme via this new player eventually  !

EDIT  .....     The logo has just changed on the BBc iPlayer  to Radio Player  ................   hey ho  ....  I've got the radio anyway   ! ;D
« Last Edit: April 01, 2011, 09:42:21 AM by scottiesmum »

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2011, 10:06:08 AM »

This site does have some merit, in that it brings things together in a convenient and simple fashion. Personally I'm not that keen on listening to radio on the computer - I use an internet radio for that - but I can see a lot of people making use of it.
  Eric

scottiesmum

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2011, 10:21:18 AM »

Eric,  what is an internet radio  ?   please  .....    :)

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2011, 11:11:58 AM »

An internet radio is a portable radio which links up with your internet connection (by wireless or direct ethernet cable) and plays any radio stations which are available over the internet. This is the one I've got. It can pick up DAB and FM stations as well, but I only use it for internet stations, of which there are thousands, including of course all the BBC stations.
  Eric

scottiesmum

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2011, 12:04:13 PM »

Thank you Eric  ....  very   interesting   :)  ....     We  receive BBC radio through our hi-fi tuner, via our satellite connection,   or through the computer.    I have the Sennheiser  RS 4200 ultra-lightweight  cordless stereo  headphones, which are superb,  I tend to use them in the garden a lot.    My internet connection is wireless via my Livebox   .....   so,  not wanting to spend money where it's not necessary     (I can buy a nice pair of shoes for that amount   :D )    would I have any advantage  over  existing systems  OR,  do you have an Internet Radio because you don't have other means of receiving broadcasts ?   

We can  of course listen to  all the French radio stations via the tuner  ..and I have Raima Radio installed on my computer which enables me to listen to  Radio stations from all corners of the world   .....    it's very good btw for anyone interested.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2011, 12:33:10 PM »

Kate, I got the internet radio for a very specific reason - to listen in the kitchen to the cricket on Radio 5 Live Sports Extra, which is a station I can't get any other way than by internet or digital TV. I don't want a TV or a computer in the kitchen, so internet radio was the solution. In your case, if you can get the stations you want by other suitable means, then an internet radio probably won't offer you anything extra (apart from a vast choice which you probably don't want :) ).
  Eric

scottiesmum

« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2011, 12:38:03 PM »

Thanks Eric  ....    it's more shoes then I suppose    :D            Happy cricket  !! ;D