Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Magic 65 minutes for Milton Keynes ???  (Read 5272 times)

waltergmw

• Kitizen
Magic 65 minutes for Milton Keynes ???
« on: March 30, 2011, 08:06:39 AM »

The following is a rather strange PlusNet message this morning:-

Kind regards,
Walter

Service: Internet Connectivity
Posted: Wed, Mar 30 2011 at 07:54:22
Subject: Loss of Broadband Connectivity

This is a Service Status message made at 07:50on the 30/3/11. Overnight we experienced  connection issues in the London and Milton Keynes areas,

Our suppliers have advised that connection issues in London should now be resolved if you are still seeing issues please turn your router of for 65 minutes and then retry this should then enable you to connect.
We are currently investigating the issue in Milton Keynes and this message will be updated as soon as further information is available.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: Magic 65 minutes for Milton Keynes ???
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2011, 08:10:53 AM »

65 minutes is rather precise isn't it? If it's a stale session, 30 minutes is normally sufficient to clear it.
  Eric

waltergmw

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2011, 08:56:25 AM »

Service: Internet Connectivity
Posted: Wed, Mar 30 2011 at 08:22:55
Subject: Loss of Service

Our suppliers have now advised that the Connection issues in London and Milton Keynes have now been resolved.

If you are still seeing issues please turn your router off for 65 minutes then retry.  This should enable you to connect.

Perhaps 65mins = 2 * 30 + a bit of spare !!!!

Kind regards,
Walter

AdrianH

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2011, 08:59:53 AM »

That is just them trying to stop anyone phoning in before 9.00AM . ::)

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2011, 09:41:03 AM »

Regardless of whether it's 30 minutes, or 60, or 65, I recently hit the roof when I was told something similar by another ISP.   I despair that the ISP support people don't seem to understand many people have a home network that is not JUST used for internet access, and the router often plays an important role as an ethernet switch, DHCP server etc.

If I were to 'turn my router off for 65 minutes' certain devices would lose access during that time to much of my NAS storage, bringing certain work and pastimes to a grinding halt.  Some parts of the house, fed from the router's switch, would also lose access to media & TV recordings as well as my preferred method of access for live TV.

If they mean 'disable your internet connection' I wish they'd say so.  Yes, I can translate it for them, but I then end up being forced to 'lie' to the support staff when I tell them I've complied with their request.

Another one I hate is when I'm told to 'switch off my computer for some time', which often seems appear early on the script whenever the internet connection goes down.  My response is 'which one?'.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2011, 10:02:30 AM »

I don't disagree with you 7LM, but it's probably fair to say that, if your network is so important to you, you should probably be using a separate network switch, leaving the router to its main job of providing internet access.
  Eric

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2011, 10:46:06 AM »

I don't disagree with you 7LM, but it's probably fair to say that, if your network is so important to you, you should probably be using a separate network switch, leaving the router to its main job of providing internet access.

Hmmm, I understand your point, but I'm not sure it's that straighforwards.   I'm not noted for environmental conscience but there are already several switches in my network  and if a device only needs 10/100 speeds and a port on the router is free and nearby, then I'm resistant to powering up yet another switch just to avoid using the router.

Maybe more critically, I mostly use fixed IP addressing, but DHCP is appropriate for some devices and the router is a convenient DHCP server.  Yes, I could run a DHCP server on one of the PCs, but that PC then becomes critical to the rest of the network, and resuscitating a dead PC can be non-trivial, so several devices get hit just because one PC has died.   Allowing the router to perform DHCP is zero financial cost and also means that, if it breaks, dragging a spare router down from the loft is all that's needed to quickly restore things.

- 7LM

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2011, 11:06:11 AM »

Maybe more critically, I mostly use fixed IP addressing, but DHCP is appropriate for some devices and the router is a convenient DHCP server.  Yes, I could run a DHCP server on one of the PCs, but that PC then becomes critical to the rest of the network, and resuscitating a dead PC can be non-trivial, so several devices get hit just because one PC has died.   Allowing the router to perform DHCP is zero financial cost and also means that, if it breaks, dragging a spare router down from the loft is all that's needed to quickly restore things.

- 7LM

If you just use one ethernet port on the router, and switches for linking the network together, the router can still act as a DHCP server to any network device which needs it. It's no different in that respect from connecting the device directly to the router.

I take your point about practicality and convenient access to a port though.
  Eric

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2011, 11:23:18 AM »

, the router can still act as a DHCP server to any network device which needs it. It's no different in that respect from connecting the device directly to the router.

Indeed it does, but not I'd still lose DHCP if an ISP helpdesk insists that I switch the router off for an hour.

And (since I haven't finished grumbling yet) there are a few wireless devices that depend on the router although, admittedly, they're only really used for web browsing and so don't add much fuel to my argument, as they'd serve little purpose if the internet connection as not available.   :)

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2011, 11:31:47 AM »

I won't say any more then - I'd hate to stop you having a good grumble. :)
  Eric

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2011, 11:36:08 AM »

I won't say any more then - I'd hate to stop you having a good grumble. :)

Of dear, people are getting to know me too well  :D