Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: 2700HG ADSL gateway from Digidave  (Read 5825 times)

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
2700HG ADSL gateway from Digidave
« on: March 26, 2011, 03:03:47 PM »

As I briefly mentioned elsewhere, Digidave is selling a non-BT branded version of 2700HG, and I've bought one. These are my initial impressions.

Firstly I should say that it's not a truly generic 2-Wire model (if such a thing exists). The firmware is branded SBC (the US company SBC Internet Services). However the firmware isn't locked to that ISP, and all of the advanced features are available via the Management and Diagnostic Console at http://192.168.1.254/mdc .

When you first launch the web interface you are invited to enter a password for access to the interface, then a wizard is launched to do the basic configuration of the router. You need a keycode for this, which is printed on the bottom of the router. The wizard is straightforward, although the defaults are applicable to SBC, so you need to manually specify several details.

There's a slight oddity in the wireless settings, in that initially it only offered three channels (5, 6 and 7) but when I came back to it later it offered all 11 channels. More significantly, the only security options are WEP and WPA, with no WPA2 available. This is probably not a big issue for most people. A choice of four levels of wireless power are offered, and I suspect that the highest level may exceed UK legal limits (but I have yet to check this).

According to the spec, this router is IPv6 capable, but it's not clear whether a firmware upgrade is required to enable this. On the subject of firmware upgrades, the documentation says that upgrades are available via 2Wire CMS. I still have to work out how to do this.

Performance

The ADSL performance seems to be identical to the BT 2700HGV. Over a couple of hours of running, all the stats are stable. I'll know more after a few days, but it seems likely that the two routers use the same ADSL drivers.

Wireless performance is at least as good as the 2700HGV - my internet radio shows 4 signal level bars, where the 2700HGV showed three. I'll probably turn the power down, as the signal is stronger than I need.

My initial conclusion is that this router is every bit as good as the BT 2700HGV (with the slight proviso over wireless encryption) and is not vulnerable to possible remote upgrades.

As this is a 2700HG, not HGV, there is no VOIP capability.

Eric

Barrie

Re: 2700HG ADSL gateway from Digidave
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2011, 04:39:50 PM »

Hi Eric,

Interesting! Look forward to seeing your next report on stability, etc.

The SBC firmware - does it set the target SNR or does it look to the DSLAM for guidance? I've heard reports that it sets it to 8.

Again thanks for an interesting post!

Barrie

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2011, 04:52:34 PM »

does it set the target SNR or does it look to the DSLAM for guidance?

It comes up with the normal 6 dB noise margin, so I presume that the router accepts the DSLAM setting.
  Eric

Barrie

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2011, 04:57:07 PM »

does it set the target SNR or does it look to the DSLAM for guidance?

It comes up with the normal 6 dB noise margin, so I presume that the router accepts the DSLAM setting.

Thanks reassuring. Look forward to your further postings on the subject.

Again Thanks.

iwish

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2011, 12:35:59 PM »

i just bought another 2700hgv of ebay for 99p and £6 postage  :P

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2011, 04:58:05 PM »

Further comments:

It looks as though Digidave's stock has all been sold for now. I have no idea when (or whether) new stock will arrive.

I managed to get Routerstats working with this router, using the manual setup method. But unfortunately the router firmware doesn't seem to like it - after about 2-3 hours the firmware locks up, and then shortly afterwards the router spontaneously reboots. Since I stopped using Routerstats the connection has been stable for 18 hours.

The firmware version is 4.25.19. In view of the Routerstats problem, and also the lack of WPA2 encryption, I'm considering upgrading the firmware to BT 5.29.107.12 (which is not vulnerable to being remotely upgraded to 6.x).
  Eric

BritBrat

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2011, 07:39:12 PM »

Do you know much about the FREE! 2Wire 1701HG Wireless Router?

Here's how, in 4 easy steps.

Step 1 - Sign up for an account with Freespeech.co.uk - the broadband phone service provider. You need a Pay As You Use account, a Home Unlimited account, or a Small Unlimited account.

Think I will pass on that offer :)

« Last Edit: March 27, 2011, 07:41:36 PM by BritBrat »

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2011, 10:33:44 PM »

Think I will pass on that offer

Me too :)
  Eric

Barrie

« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2011, 08:44:41 AM »

Interesting experiment though!

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2011, 04:17:16 PM »

Just to complete this in case new supplies of this router do materialise, I successfully upgraded the firmware to version 5.29.107.12 as described here and unlocked it as described here. This firmware enables WPA2 security, but doesn't include adjustable wireless power levels. However the power level can easily be adjusted using method 1 here.

Routerstats Lite works with this firmware (select the 2700HG-B option).

Conclusion: This router has the same excellent performance and diagnostic capabilities as the BT 2700HGV, is not vulnerable to unwanted BT firmware upgrades, and has the bonus of variable wireless power levels. An upgrade to firmware 5.29.107.12 provides WPA2 security which is lacking in the router as supplied.

Unless anything goes horrible wrong, I'll be keeping this router for my normal use.
  Eric

BritBrat

• Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2011, 06:01:06 PM »

How much did the router cost you?

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2011, 06:40:02 PM »

£29.99 + £8.00 P&P (RM recorded delivery).
  Eric

Barrie

« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2011, 09:32:28 AM »

Unless anything goes horrible wrong, I'll be keeping this router for my normal use.

Not just an interesting experiment but one with a really positive outcome. Thanks for the info!

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2011, 09:54:48 AM »

You're welcome. :)
  Eric

anything