Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: adsl and llu services  (Read 5542 times)

david30

adsl and llu services
« on: March 23, 2011, 08:35:09 PM »

hello every1 i was just wondering about something my exchange is adsl max but not upgraded to adsl2 but sky/easynet llu services are now present and when i go to sky to check my line they say i can get between 10 and 20mb is this possible and are sky any good

thank you in advance for any responses

and is it possible for sky to put there equipment running adsl2 even though bt equipment remains adsl max
« Last Edit: March 23, 2011, 08:45:53 PM by david30 »

waltergmw

• Kitizen
Re: adsl and llu services
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2011, 11:03:26 PM »

Hello David & welcome,

If sky really have their own equipment in the exchange, then that broadband will be quite separate from any BT offering.
Might I suggest you put your details in here so we can see what LLU services are available ?

http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/adslchecker.php

If you are brave enough, follow the instructions here to obtain your modem's line statistics which will give us a much better idea of what you might expect.

http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/frogstats.php

Kind regards,
Walter

david30

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2011, 12:06:43 AM »

Date: 00:01 - 24 Mar 11

For Telephone No:

01495774XXX

Postcode:

NP4 XXX

Phone & Postcode search OK

Exchange Information

Exchange: Talywain

BT Code: SWTAJ

NP4 7EP

Distance:-

Direct:

591 metres

(appx)*

By Road:

805 metres

Status ADSL enabled:

November 19, 2003

DSL Max enabled: March 30, 2006

SDSL enabled :Not Enabled

21CN due : (PSTN)

N/A

21CN WBC (Broadband)

Not available

Broadband Access†

Market 2

Available ISPs

Other Broadband Technology & LLU Providers

Although your exchange is BT owned, this does not limit you to just BT Broadband and a vast range of ISPs are able to supply you with adsl.
 Available ISPs are too numerous to list, but some examples would be: Zen, Plusnet, IDNet, Enta, e

The vast majority of UK ISPs use BTs exchange equipment to supply their broadband, for those ISPs you should use the information on the left.
The following is a list of providers offering an alternative service to BT Wholesale based broadband in your a
LLU

AOL

Not available

Be*

Not available

C&W/Bulldog

Not available

Edge Telecom

Not available

Homechoice

Not available

Lumison

Not available

NewNet

Not available

Node4

Not available

O2

Not available

Orange

Not available

Pipex

Not available

Smallworld

Not available

Sky

Available

TalkTalk

Not available

Tiscali

Not available

UK Online

Available

WB Internet

Not available

Zen

Not available

Cable

Virgin Media

Not available

Smallworld Media

Not available

Wireless

EMnet

Not available

Kijoma

Not available

LTT Broadband

Not available

Now Wireless

Not available

OnLincolnshire

Not available

Orbital/VFast

Not available

UrbanWimax

Not available

BT Line Speed Estimation

Fixed ADSL:

2048 kbps

(2 Mb)

DSL Max: 

8000 kbps

(8 Mb)

21CN WBC :

Not Available

Important: The above figures are obtained from the BTw database, which is often conservative.
 DSLmax speeds are best guess based on the surrounding area and cannot take into effect individual line conditions which may effect the result such as the type of equipment you use or other issues which may affect the Signal to Noise Ratio.

If you already have adsl then you may be interested in Max dsl speed calculator which may give a better indication of your lines capability.

RAG Test Results

Fixed:

1Mbps and 2Mbps available

radsl:

512Kbps and 256Kbps available

MAX:

ADSL Max is available

TPON:

No info in database

Check:

The check identified another service on your line which may prevent you from ordering a new ADSL connection. Examples are : Existing adsl connection, DACs, LLU, TPON etc

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

adsl 1 linecode : GGEC
  dslmax linecode: GEGEGEC
  Explanation of RAG codes.

†OFCOM Broadband Access Classification

Market 2: This exchange has 2 or 3 principal operators OR has 4 or more principal Operators but the exchange serves less than 10,000 premises

For more info see Broadband Access Market Classification

david30

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2011, 12:08:57 AM »

Parameters
DSP Firmware Version A2pB025f.d22k
DMT Status No Defect
Operational Mode G.DMT
Upstream 448
Downstream 7616
SNR Margin(Upstream) 24.0
SNR Margin(Downstream) 13.9
Line Attenuation(Upstream) 11.0
Line Attenuation(Downstream) 17.0

waltergmw

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2011, 07:45:08 AM »

Hi again David,

You probably realise that your broadband service is just about perfect.

If you enter your downstream attenuation here you will see Kitz's estimate of your maximum speeds on various services.

http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/max_speed_calc.php

Here is some data on sky. Perhaps Sky users might also like to comment.

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/isp/sky.html

More generally, an exchange with under 3,400 lines is not going to be the most lucrative for other ISPs and hence the lack of other LLU providers.
Also note that, unless your Assembly are able to trawl up a significant amount of cash, any proper Next Generation Access products, including full Fibre To The Premises, are a very long way off.

Kind regards,
Walter

david30

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2011, 01:05:27 PM »

i have done that but can sky actually offer higher speeds even though bt have not upgraded it to 21CN

AdrianH

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2011, 01:16:08 PM »

Hi David, yes  if the exchange has been upgraded then Sky can give you higher speeds via their exchange equipment which will give you ADSL2+ LLU.

My exchange is not 21CN but I am on an ASDSL2+ LLU service.  

2 things to think on, Sky have a long contract tying you in and ADSL2+ is more susceptible to interference which may see you having the line stats reduced.

Personally I know of two people that had lousy ADSL Max throughput, then changing to Sky saw at least a doubling of their speeds, being closer to the exchange I would expect you could see @ 13MB or more. My line length is 1.62 KM and I synch at @ 12MB.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2011, 01:43:06 PM by AdrianH »

david30

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2011, 01:26:47 PM »

ok thanks all really appreciate it

just wondering but do u think its worth changing to sky i am currently with xilo using bt equipment i get about 5 and 6.5mb and xilo have been reliable and very helpful too
« Last Edit: March 24, 2011, 01:42:24 PM by david30 »

AdrianH

« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2011, 01:46:35 PM »

Hmmm........ I too am on Xilo, will the personal service be the same is the big question.  I can't say from Broadband experience, I have been told that the Sky LLU is good and the service centre likewise, my experiences of Sky with TV and trying to contact anyone with an ounce of brain etc. well ...........  >:( >:(  better left unsaid .

david30

« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2011, 01:52:02 PM »

i dont have sky tv and havent for a while and i remember the service wasnt gd in fact it was a right pain in the back side thats why i am really not sure wat to do....... and thank again

razpag

• Reg Member
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2011, 04:30:15 PM »

What you need to do, as in any decision making in any walk of life, is weigh up the odds !!

Reading boards like this will make you paranoid to the nth degree, if you migrate to SKY (which I personally would), you'll be waiting for your line to go wrong, and will probably be disappointed when it doesn't. The fact of the matter is, the vast majority of broadband users experience fault free broadband. It's only when it does go wrong that boards like these become invaluable.

Take a 'glass half-full' perspective on this and you'll be fine. Chances are (and they will be in the higher percentages) that you'll get more speed and have a fault-free time of it.

waltergmw

• Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2011, 05:52:41 PM »

I would second RP's advice especially as you are so close to the exchange.
The chances of serious issues developing are very much lower than for those on longer lines.
You might anticipate some possible initial teething problems whist the twisted pair you are on is actually connected to the correct equipment properly but then it should be plain sailing.

Kind regards,
Walter