Broadband Related > Broadband Technology

Migrate from ADSL to Infinity?

(1/3) > >>

bbnovice:
Hi:

Forgive me if this is an inappropriate question on this section of the forum but.......

I've been suffering from a long standing ADSL broadband problems,  and some of the advice on this forum have helped me through this and contributed to what I hope is a resolution.

The question that I now have is that my exchange is being upgraded for Infinity as from March 2011 with a current plan of going live from 1 July. Whilst trying to resolve my ADSL problem, I have received heavy hints from some parties that it might be preferable to migrate to Infinity when it becomes available and to ditch ADSL technology.

Leaving the commercial (pricing) questions aside for one moment the prospect of 40Mb speed via fibre optic appears to be a seductive proposition.

Is there any catch to this hype that (as a non expert user) I should be aware of?

Can I be cheeky and invite some comments?

Thanks

razpag:
You're basically asking the one question, "Is there a catch ??". Not at all, it's a simple case of you pay for what you get, with Infinity you get more speed than you would from ADSL.

The only questions I have for you are, do you know where your 'serving Cab' is, and if so, how far are you away from it ??

bbnovice:
Hi razpag,

There is a green BT box at the end of our street - say 250 metres (maybe less). I think this may be the serving cabinet as Openreach have been busy working on it all week with a cast of thousands  - but perhaps they may just have a mega fault problem?

Sorry, can't be more specific than that.

razpag:
There's a great chance that this could be 'your' cab. If it is, then you'll more-than-likely get the full 40/50Meg once the FTTC is implemented.

<Disclaimer> The nearest Cab to ones premises, does not automatically mean it is the Cab serving the premises.

bbnovice:
Hi razpag,

A supplemnentary.

I think issues were always to be expected with ASDSL, because although its a very clever piece of copper based technology it was a response to "proper" fibre optic transmission historically being deployed by companies such as Telewest. But will Infinity offer merely a different set of challenges to ASDSL anand not be a panacea?

So perhaps the question I'm really asking is: is Infinity likely to be inherently more reliable than ADSL, or are we (as consumers)  just facing a whole new set questions which will require forums such as this to help us?

I must admit I'm tempted to migrate, but the old saying about pioneers, indians, arrows and all that make me hesitant.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version