Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: FireFox 4 now available(finished version)  (Read 5037 times)

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
FireFox 4 now available(finished version)
« on: March 23, 2011, 07:29:10 AM »

FireFox 4 now available.click on >help>check for updates. :)

I have just updated ok apart from McAfee Site Advisor 3.3 being disabled due to compatibility issues.You would think they would sort this out before the final release.

Edit.Problem sorted.If you experience the same,follow this link and update to the latest one

http://service.mcafee.com/faqdocument.aspx?id=TS101144
« Last Edit: March 23, 2011, 08:28:12 AM by UncleUB »

jeffbb

• Kitizen
Re: FireFox 4 now available(finished version)
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2011, 10:17:50 AM »

Hi
Thanks for the info .Will try it now  :)

Regards Jeff
zen user

jeffbb

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2011, 10:43:11 AM »

Hi
I lost the Norton site advisor  :( but used the Mcafee link and that has installed OK  ;D
Regards Jeff
zen user

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
  • If it ain't broke....... I'll soon fix it.
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2011, 04:32:45 PM »

There are a few complaints from people that some of their add-ons have stopped working, although I will admit that is the reason why I am still using v3.6.13 because it does not interfere with some of my add-ons that the later version does.

I think I may update, "when my browser does not allow me to do what I can do today"

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

pintosal

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2011, 05:44:14 PM »

I am not seeing the huge speed increases claimed.

It feels like a cosmetic release more than anything.

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2011, 09:35:23 AM »

>>> It feels like a cosmetic release more than anything. <<<

No, it is a very important security patch.
Read about it here   ............ http://www.itproportal.com/2011/03/24/comodo-accuses-iran-over-fake-ssl-certificates/

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2011, 09:46:13 AM »

After updated,I myself have found very little speed increase.Quite a few add ons are not compatible yet,the plus side is it doesn't use as much cpu as the previous version.

I still find Chrome faster to load and along with Opera are my own two favourites,followed not far behind by FF and followed by IE9 which is not used very much by myself.

What are your thoughts?

scottiesmum

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2011, 11:11:35 AM »

I  use  solely Firefox, updated no problem, a few Add-ons not compatible, but nothing important as I haven't missed them !   It does seem to load a lot quicker, that might be the  reduction of add-ons, I seem to be whizzing along , AND  ....I have found a lovely new theme  ..  the Penguins  ...   Eric would  love it ! ;D     Now that I've twiddled with everything, put things where I want them  ... I'm happy  ;D

AdrianH

« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2011, 11:44:44 AM »

After updated,I myself have found very little speed increase.Quite a few add ons are not compatible yet,the plus side is it doesn't use as much cpu as the previous version.

I still find Chrome faster to load and along with Opera are my own two favourites,followed not far behind by FF and followed by IE9 which is not used very much by myself.

What are your thoughts?

Tried it and turned it off, I loathe what has happened to Firefox, it was great when it first came out but now.........  :no: :no:  what on earth is the point of "tabbed browsing" when tabs do not open unless you call them manually prior to the link or page you want to view.????? The affect is identical to the standard non tabbed browser. Opera opens tabs along the bar so you can see the pages and choose them again without any effort.

No way is this any faster than Opera or IE9 and I see nothing at all to make me want to use it. I now only keep a copy of FF to check forum/web pages on sites I help with otherwise I wouldn't bother with it at all.

It makes me laugh when I see people complain about IE and other browsers having security flaws, the constant issues that get patched in Firefox are hardly a recommendation for it , the number of updates recently are testament to a seriously flawed application, they would do better to take more time getting things right than trying to outdo everyone else and adding more and more features.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2011, 12:02:28 PM »

what on earth is the point of "tabbed browsing" when tabs do not open unless you call them manually prior to the link or page you want to view. The affect is identical to the standard non tabbed browser. Opera opens tabs along the bar so you can see the pages and choose them again without any effort.

Maybe I'm missing your point, but that's exactly what I get with FF. The way in which links are handled is of course affected by how the web page is written, and also by how the browser is configured, but if I click on the link in your signature (for example) it opens in a new tab and I can flick between this site and the new one by clicking on the tabs.
  Eric

tonyappuk

• Reg Member
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2011, 12:35:35 PM »

I support Eric's response but you do of course have to set it up. Tools, Options, Tabs and select "When I open a link in a new tab, switch to it immediately"
Tony

AdrianH

« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2011, 12:50:39 PM »

In Opera the tabs are opened along the bar simply by clicking a link/speed dial etc.

Firefox, no matter what you set in "Tabs" there is a + symbol which needs clicking prior to a link , otherwise as in this image you have a single pane open despite 8 different URL's having been called. 

I have tried this on 4 different machines in both Windows and Linux and both my son and neighbour complain of the same thing on their systems.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2011, 01:11:13 PM »

I'm afraid I'm mystified. :)

I clicked (once) on each link in this thread, and each click opened a new tab.

[attachment deleted by admin]
  Eric

scottiesmum

« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2011, 01:20:18 PM »

I have the same result as Eric.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2011, 01:31:16 PM »

On reflection, I'm not mystified any more. The effect we're discussing is a consequence of the way some web sites handle external links - i.e. they open links in the same window. It's my belief that Firefox respects the website's chosen behaviour, whereas Opera overrides it and always opens external links in a new tab. In FF you can choose to override the behaviour by right-clicking a link and selecting "Open link in new tab".

Whether the Firefox 'respect' or the Opera override is better is a matter of personal opinion I suppose. :)

Eric
Pages: [1] 2

anything