Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: AOL contract  (Read 13941 times)

Re: AOL contract
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2007, 12:16:06 PM »

I have higher upstream attenuation than you but lower downstream.

This is what I get from an ADSL2+ provider :

Link Information

Uptime:   15 days, 12:57:56
Modulation:   G.992.5 Annex A
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]:   1,351 / 18,857
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [MB/GB]:   403.14 / 4.70
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]:   12.0 / 17.5
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]:   10.5 / 23.5
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]:   7.5 / 8.5

Were I you I would be suggesting that AOL could go forth and multiply. If you have an ADSL2+ provider at your exchange then switch to them provided you can afford it and their support is reasonable. Even if you don't then you'd be better off elsewhere as you'd get 8Mbps easily - unless you have some dreadful noise/cabling nearby which your stats don't suggest.

dod

« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2007, 10:24:01 AM »

I must admit it's getting close to the go forth and multiply stage. I just  can't resist one last try. This is the latest meaningless gibberish from the AOL customer services people. I find the second one most confusing.

15/10/07
Please be informed that I have checked your records twice and I saw that your line can support maximum 8 Mbps as of 5th October 2007 which is the maximum that you can get on your BT IP STREAM LINE
Line Speed depends on number of reasons.
1. Distance of your house form the exchange.
2. BT phone line condition.
3. Plan that you are on (AOL Broadband Silver)
4. The maximum line speed that the line can support in your Area (58Mbps)

18/10/07
I appreciate that you've taken the time to allow us an opportunity to handle this for you and thanks for your patience waiting for us to reply to your email. As per the details i see that your price plan has been changed and the order has been rejected

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2007, 04:02:34 PM »

Why has your order been rejected - did they give a reason why?

Because all the tests that youve done on here and your line stats show otherwise :(
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

dod

« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2007, 05:02:45 PM »

Why has your order been rejected - did they give a reason why?

Because all the tests that youve done on here and your line stats show otherwise :(

I asked that exact question. This is the response I received this morning.

As per your query we have sent a special request to the concerned Department for the Speed Upgrade. It would take 4-5 working days for the speed to get stable. Within this time period you might face disconnection or slow speed problem as your line is currently under check.

The same old thing again!!

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2007, 05:11:08 PM »

>> As per your query we have sent a special request to the concerned Department for the Speed Upgrade.

Lets hope they have this time - fingers crossed for you... why this hasnt been done before though and why the delay tactics.. well :/

>> It would take 4-5 working days for the speed to get stable. Within this time period you might face disconnection or slow speed problem as your line is currently under check.

Have a read of how maxdsl works and also information on the IP profile, which should give you a better indication of how things should work.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

mr_chris

• Kitizen
« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2007, 05:20:17 PM »

>> As per your query we have sent a special request to the concerned Department for the Speed Upgrade

Doesn't sound like they're particularly concerned about it to me!
Chris

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2007, 09:27:34 PM »

meiow
-----

dod

« Reply #22 on: October 31, 2007, 05:32:28 PM »

At last.
Checked today and

Downstream       7646kbps
upstream            448kbps

downloading at   1922kbps

What a marathon that was. Thanks for your help ans support.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #23 on: November 02, 2007, 09:55:16 PM »

Downstream       7646kbps
upstream            448kbps

downloading at   1922kbps

Umm...  not sure - but I think you've just hit the 2nd stage problem.

That is they get BT to do the speed upgrade but dont give you the throughput speed and throttle your connection at their end.

Your sync speed of 7646 indicates that you are connecting to the exchange at around the maximum for an interleaved 8Mb connection.
However throughput of 1922 kbps indicates that your ISP has you on a 2Mbps account.

-----

dod

« Reply #24 on: November 03, 2007, 09:33:59 AM »

I can't complain to much about the download speed, an upgrade to 2Mb was what I asked them for all those weeks ago. I recieved a reply to my letter of complaint (sent 15/10/07) one part reads

" After looking into your concerns further I wish to advise that your line has now been upgrade to ADSL Max and that this will supply the highest stable speed that your telephone line is capable of"

Well I don't think thats true I've got what I asked for 2Mb. The part I like best and has been the root of my waiting is.

"AOL is still in the process its customers to these speeds however at this time we are unable to give exact dates for when a customers line may be upgraded to upto 2MB, these speed upgrades are performed on a bulk migration process and as such they work on a exchange by exchange process"

If thats the case why sign people up to higher speeds when they have no intention of doing anything until they are ready. It could, and did, take months depending where you live.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #25 on: November 03, 2007, 11:27:27 AM »

This seems an anomality that is peculiar to AOL (and tiscali).

BT actually did all the work to upgrade 99.99% of exchanges by the end of March 2006 and aside from 1 or 2 all exchanges are now Maxdsl enabled (up to 8Mb).

You can check when your own exchange was Max enabled by putting your details in the adsl checker.
It should say something like "dsl Max enabled:  March 30, 2006 "

AOL seem to be dragging their heels upgrading their customers on their side of things.  The fact that you are already syncing at the higher speeds shows that you can get the higher speeds, just that AOL arent giving you the throughput.

The term they use "these speed upgrades are performed on a bulk migration process and as such they work on a exchange by exchange process" sound more likely that they are referring to transferring lines to LLU.

Bit naughty the way AOL are going about this.. and the way theyve phrased the sentence
"that your line has now been upgrade to ADSL Max and that this will supply the highest stable speed that your telephone line is capable of" isnt quite true. 
Yes your line has been upgraded - but AOL arent giving you the throughput speed that its capable of.

... but the main thing is that you are happy now that theyve given you the 2Mb that you requested :)
-----
Pages: 1 [2]

anything