Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: 'You can't look after yourselves!' (Elfin safety madness)  (Read 1340 times)

AdrianH

'You can't look after yourselves!' (Elfin safety madness)
« on: March 16, 2011, 02:03:43 PM »

Charity shop forced to close after elf 'n'safety chiefs demand £25k manager to supervise volunteers

A successful charity shop has been forced out of business after volunteers were ordered to hire a £25,000-a-year manager to enforce health and safety rules.

Pensioners who run the Cancer Research UK shop in Cullompton, Devon, were told they need a paid manager to teach them 'how to use cleaning products properly'.

Now the shop, which raised £42,000 for the charity last year, has been forced to shut down after charity bosses told volunteers they are uninsurable.......... (more)

How did we all survive? How did all the independant shops get by for hundreds of years? How many actually comply now?

silversurfer44

• Kitizen
  • Lord Muck
    • Ben Novice Weather
Re: 'You can't look after yourselves!' (Elfin safety madness)
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2011, 02:28:22 PM »

Reading between the lines here, it would appear that every charity shop that has a sign above the door like the one in the article has to pay £25k to a manger before the money collected gets donated. If that is true then I think it is disgusting and any manager of a charity shop should give the money back and donate their time free of charge. It is taking the mickey out of the kindness of every person that donates to charities by this method. If there is manager that reads this post then feel ashamed, very ashamed at taking the money.
Colin II : It's no good being a pessimist, it wouldn't work anyway.

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2011, 02:30:57 PM »

Ah, from the Daily Wail I see - bastion of accurate and unbiased reporting.  :lol:

I wonder what the real facts are.......... :-X

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2011, 03:32:45 PM »

The worlds gone mad  :-[
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker