Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: I would Like To learn About Building A Web Site.  (Read 11251 times)

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
I would Like To learn About Building A Web Site.
« on: September 21, 2007, 12:54:19 AM »

On my Internet connection I get 50MB of free web space on my ISP's severs, so I thought I would like to lean about basic web page design .

I have installed FireFTP ( FTP client) for FireFox browser, but I have still got to learn about that. !

Can some body point me in the right direction please were to start.   :help:

In the near future we are hopping to have a holiday flat to let (when I finish building it that is), so I would learn web design using this free domain space and the set a proper site up either on my own server or hosted.
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

Achilles Last Stand

• Kitizen
  • http://www.saveplanetrock.co.uk/ Save Planet Rock!
Re: I would Like To learn About Building A Web Site.
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2007, 08:27:14 AM »

Hi Michael,

Try this online tutorial http://www.davesite.com/webstation/html/chapX1.shtml the pages are cluttered by ads unfortunately, but it's a good basic tutorial that's easy to follow - and you don't need anything other than Wordpad/notepad to get started!

This is recommended to the first year computing degree students here so it must be quite good  ;D and if I can do it, anyone can.

tickmike

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2007, 01:25:03 PM »

Looks interesting I will have a better look to night.
Thanks.
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

tickmike

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2007, 11:54:58 PM »

Any one used MS Front Page. ? for web site design.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2007, 06:59:43 AM »

I used it years ago in my Windows days. Easy enough to use and does the job, but don't get trapped into using the MS proprietary extensions.
  Eric

Achilles Last Stand

• Kitizen
  • http://www.saveplanetrock.co.uk/ Save Planet Rock!
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2007, 08:45:26 AM »

I've used it too - it's very simple to use so good to learn with but not if it means buying it IMO. 

Accordion

• Reg Member
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2007, 10:47:36 AM »

I use it all the time, and it is reasonably easy to use.

Might need some experimenting with table properties to get the display right on varying screens and browsers.

tickmike

• Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2007, 10:26:06 PM »

I have a copy of ms front page  ;)

I have tried a very simple page but cannot get it to upload to my isp's site, also tried sending it via FireFTP .

I'm back of a hardware firewall and use a proxy.
I think I have set up the systems ok, but something is stopping going.
Just waiting for an answer from my isp about there login details for the uploading to there site.

anything