Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: BT demarcation after extension  (Read 3989 times)

clueless

BT demarcation after extension
« on: March 14, 2011, 12:01:49 PM »

Hi folks,

I am trying to find out where BT's demarcation point is.

Many years ago BT moved the master socket (an old type with no removable panel) from it's original location (I'll come back to this) into the dinning room.

It probably isn't important once I explain the wiring but the original location was either next to the front door where there is a blank recessed access panel or in the living room, I simply don't remember.

As of now the drop wire can be accessed at the recessed panel near the front door, out of this panel runs a cable which extends into the dinning room to the only socket that is directly connected to the access panel. That socket then uses a splitter to go elsewhere.

So, does BT's wiring end at the access panel or the wires inside the socket in the dinning room?

I was weighing up the option of moving the socket until BT told me it would cost £130 just for a call out fee.

There is also a newer socket (the type with a removable panel) attached to the old socket (in the dinning room if you are getting lost!) which was for a second phone line; this is no longer a connected line, so can I just cut it off?

I hope this made sense.

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
Re: BT demarcation after extension
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2011, 12:31:06 PM »

The demarcation point(s) are the "old style" master socket for the current live circuit and the Test Socket for the "inactive" one.
So you can't just remove the "new style" one as it's still BT's and to do so would probably involve interfering with "their" wiring.

Incoming drop wires (which terminates in the blanked off "junction box" you referred to) usually have provison for 2 circuits, so unless BT actually came and disconnected it all inside your house it's probably still wired through to the inactive modern socket.

That wouldn't stop many people considering "sorting out" the wiring using the resources to hand....
e.g. using the "spare" NTE5A to provide a proper modern master socket on the end of the incoming drop wire and running cabling to the "extension" from the faceplate. But that is of course properly a job for BT Openreach.  :-X
« Last Edit: March 14, 2011, 01:00:55 PM by HPsauce »

clueless

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2011, 12:51:58 PM »

Can you read my mind!

...not that it was on my mind obviously.

It is rather expensive to have two wire cut and put else where :no:

BritBrat

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2011, 01:37:38 PM »

Keep a eye out for an openreach man in your area and ask he if he would do it for you for some beer money.

In his none working time :)

anything