Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Virgin Media is Killing Torrents  (Read 11588 times)

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
  • If it ain't broke....... I'll soon fix it.
Virgin Media is Killing Torrents
« on: March 12, 2011, 03:02:00 AM »

Just thought you might like to know if anyone has been having trouble recently with Virgin Media.

Basically the last few days I have been having major problems with P2P uploading.
I now believe I have found the source of my problem, and that is that Virgin Media is trialling a new "Upstream-P2P-Traffic-Management"

Although the general consensus seems to be is that they will continue after the trial period is finished (which I think it has now)
One thing that really annoys me is the fact that Virgin Media did not inform anyone of this new throttling and I only found out about it by accident.

One reason why my normal speed tests were ok is because it apparently only monitors P2P traffic and unfortunately for a lot of gamers also effects them.

I still don't understand all of it as it is supposedly during peak times of which according to VM is weekdays between 5PM and 12PM (midnight) and 12AM to 12PM Saturday and Sunday. (Midday to Midnight)

This is on top of our existing Traffic Management, although the last few days I have not been able to upload any where near enough to get Traffic Managed.

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/General-broadband-questions/Upstream-P2P-Traffic-Management-Trial-Feeback/td-p/372857

BritBrat

• Kitizen
Re: Virgin Media is Killing Torrents
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2011, 09:35:12 AM »

OH dear, there will be a lot of angry customers leaving Virgin.

Having been an O2 customer I came to the conclusion that these systems used to slow traffic are not up to doing the job and just end up affecting everyone in a negative way.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2011, 09:37:25 AM by BritBrat »

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2011, 10:44:39 AM »

But on top of the already "Traffic Management that operates between 10:00 to 16:00 & 15:00 to 20:00.
(Yes there is even a crossover time during this period which effectively means the Traffic Management is from 10:00 to 20:00 for every day of the week)

And now we have something that operates Mon - Fri 17:00 to 24:00 and Sat & Sun 12:00 to 24:00.

Edit:
Time corrected from "Mon - Fri 7:00 to Mon - Fri 17:00 to
« Last Edit: March 12, 2011, 04:29:59 PM by oldfogy »

orainsear

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2011, 03:00:41 PM »

Does changing to another port make any difference?

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2011, 03:16:49 PM »

>> Does changing to another port make any difference?

No, Unfortunately as I have been doing that all week and it will not make any difference.

Again one of the annoyances was that I only started to really notice all this happening was after re-organising my router IP numbers and port forwarding settings on the different computers.

Which obviously I then thought it was my fault and had messed up the system, but then after putting all the settings back to what they were and still not having much luck made me really start to look elsewhere, such as, was it the new laptop I brought at Christmas, the router or switcher I installed a couple of months ago or was it the LAN cable down to the living room, again only recently installed.

Maybe I should try sending Virgin Media a bill for all my time diagnosing the problem which turns out to be their fault, their fault for not keeping their customers up-to-date with what they are doing.

One snippet I also came across said something on the lines of it was mentioned on their site, ha ha, have you ever been able to find anything on their site when you want it?

Edit:
Not that it helps me but might help someone, and that is if using a wireless connection is to try changing the channel number to maybe 3 instead of the popular number 6.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2011, 03:18:52 PM by oldfogy »

BritBrat

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2011, 04:21:16 PM »

Try encription if you can, other that that get a VPN account and that should work as it did with O2.

I tested it with these people:
http://www.yourprivatevpn.com

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2011, 04:40:05 PM »

As much as I am complaining maybe it's actually giving me "a excuse" more-so than a reason to stop or at least practically stop uploading just for the heck of it and only just share back that which I download.

BritBrat

• Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2011, 04:51:18 PM »

Another option is get a seedbox :)

I hardly use torrents these days but I do know what people use.

Did I read they are also affecting usenet?

A seedbox is a private dedicated server used for the uploading and downloading of digital files.[1] Seedboxes generally make use of the BitTorrent protocol for uploading and downloading, although they have also been used on the eDonkey2000 network. Seedboxes are usually connected to a high speed network, often with a throughput of 100 Mbit/s or more. Some providers are testing and offering 10Gbit shared servers, while others are developing other systems that will allow users to scale their needs on the fly. Files are downloaded from the torrent site and its users, and from there they can be downloaded at high speeds to a user's personal computer via the HTTP, FTP, SFTP, or rsync protocols. This allows for anonymity and, usually, removes the need to worry about ratio.[2]

« Last Edit: March 12, 2011, 04:54:23 PM by BritBrat »

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2011, 04:58:08 PM »

VPN', Seedbox's etc, I do appreciate what people are saying but too be honest I pay out enough, I know it's not a lot but it's still enough, most of which is for other peoples benefit more so than what I get out of it.

So it might be time to call it a day, cancel Virgin Media in favour of freeview and get a life again.

Edit:
>> Did I read they are also affecting usenet?

Yes it is effecting that also.

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2011, 05:12:53 PM »

Sorry for the "bump"

But can I remind people that Virgin Media are still running this bandwidth throttling measure, but whilst speed tests will show there is nothing wrong, the likes of torrents and newsgroups are or may be seriously effected.

So please remember this if anyone has peculiar problems and is also a VM customer.