Broadband Related > Broadband Technology

breached a congestion threshold??

(1/1)

hungledink:
A month ago I signed up for FTTC broadband. On some of my most recent speedtest I was only getting 4mbps throughput. I contacted my ISP and was told that;

part of your circuit that has recently breached a congestion threshold, meaning that during peak times there is a chance of this throughput drop

Any idea what this means? Are they insinuating I have done some thing to cause it?

Thanks for any advice.

waltergmw:
Hi Hd,

Strictly as an amateur, my guess would be that BT have forgotten about the laws of physics. If you add  a higher capacity fibre circuit to the existing infrastructure, it is likely that the traffic load will increase substantially.
When that happens there has to be some logic which restricts the throughput so at least the load stays within nearly manageable proportions. Someone else here might like to talk about the non-deterministic nature of broadband circuits. Using the Ethernet model (if that's still valid) it works quite well up to perhaps 60% or 70% but thereafter the transmission retrys rapidly swamp the network.

Kind regards,
Walter

hungledink:
The email also stated a regrade was underway, any ideas what this means?

jeffbb:
Hi
with luck more capacity will be provided to cope with increasing demand  ;)

Regards Jeff

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version