Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Rein or crosstalk ..PLEASE HELP!  (Read 13028 times)

razpag

• Reg Member
Re: Rein or crosstalk ..PLEASE HELP!
« Reply #30 on: March 04, 2011, 07:20:20 AM »

Nice one Lemzip.

It was a faulty street-light causing a whole village to be knocked out on my patch. Anybody reading who is interested, plese don't be under the mis-apprehension that if it is a faulty street-light causing REIN, that it will only occur when it is switched on. The electronic switching unit at the head of the light (These are the most common type around my way) is 'always on'. It just switches the actual lamp on when daylight fades.

It was the electronic swirtchin unit causing the problem.

jeffbb

• Kitizen
« Reply #31 on: March 04, 2011, 02:21:00 PM »

Hi

Its worth remembering that household security lights work the same way .So if the fault is in the power unit again it would NOT necessarily manifest itself only when the light was on.

Regards Jeff
zen user

waltergmw

• Kitizen
« Reply #32 on: March 04, 2011, 03:10:35 PM »

To add a little to Jeff's thought, I've had a nasty one where the modem usually re-synced in the early hours. Eventually we traced it to the phone line running parallel beside two 500 W PIR light cables and it was a fox who tripped the lights.

Kind regards,
Walter

lemzip

« Reply #33 on: March 04, 2011, 11:59:21 PM »

dam.

found the rein again, its the same house as previous. Now i replaced the psu for them around a month ago but durin g the time i removed there psu i gave them one of mine to use. I had no problem for 3-4deays and then they changed to the other psu. I didnt think much of it at first as i was delighted to get most of my speed back however it looks like this drop has been there since they used the other one but i have not approached them yet (will tomorrow) and see if they can do some testing while im there.

Now this psu was cheap at 30 quid however could it be something else in the pc causing this? Its farly old and other then a average graphics card its bog standard and i had no problem when they had my psu.

lemzip

« Reply #34 on: March 07, 2011, 01:47:27 AM »

right so my first screenshot is from the one i know is the psu

snrm 2.3db to 2.8db

this is the other one, okay so they ar enot huge but annoying none the less!

snrm from 2.8db to 3.5db

Saturday night was noise free the entire night!
« Last Edit: March 07, 2011, 01:49:38 AM by lemzip »

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #35 on: March 07, 2011, 07:19:18 AM »

I don't want to put a spanner in the works, but those two little glitches in the noise margin may not be there at all. Sometimes, Routerstats fails to collect a sample because the router is fully occupied doing something else at the time. It then records a zero value and displays it as such. The way to check if this is the case would be to examine the connection speed graph over the same time period; if the connection speed shows a similar brief dip down to zero, followed by a return to exactly the same speed, then almost certainly the glitch didn't happen.
  Eric

lemzip

« Reply #36 on: March 07, 2011, 08:36:37 AM »

yeah, i know about the dips when they router doesnt respond to the request quick enough and dips to zero.

Just lookibng at those steps when it goes up, i know the one is the pc oppsite my house but cannot find the later one  :(

Oranged

• Reg Member
    • The Mobile Help Forum
« Reply #37 on: March 07, 2011, 08:55:57 AM »

I'm not really sure why you find such a small increase in SNRM annoying......especially during dark hours when noise is at its worst.

lemzip

« Reply #38 on: March 07, 2011, 01:45:30 PM »

I'm not really sure why you find such a small increase in SNRM annoying......especially during dark hours when noise is at its worst.

because there are days that this issue is not present however most of the days its there  ;D.

Its increasing after it has dropped earlier in the evening, so its not typically a increase as you say, something has robbed my snrm and i want to find it!

Oranged

• Reg Member
    • The Mobile Help Forum
« Reply #39 on: March 07, 2011, 04:45:10 PM »

something has robbed my snrm and i want to find it!

But to me that's a good thing to happen during dark hours. I presume your connection is on a 3dB Target SNR.

At this time of the year the SNRM on my O2 LLU connection (Target SNR 6dB) is between 5.0dB and 6dB during daylight. Then at around 4:30pm it will start dropping until around 11pm/12am when it reaches perhaps 2.5dB/3dB then it increases but the router has been connected for 54 days with zero errors other than CRCs.
Pages: 1 2 [3]