Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: O2 who's confused me or them?  (Read 3750 times)

wildthing

• Just arrived
O2 who's confused me or them?
« on: March 07, 2011, 03:34:51 PM »

I just contacted O2 to move my service (broadband & phone) to a new address, all was going fine until the mention of £80+ to connect a phone line, or something along them lines, when I mentioned that there was a line already in a few seconds passed and I was told they couldn't connect the service, I was then passed to the connections/cancellations department where I was told that I had the remainder of the contract to pay for plus I had to send the router back, NO PROBLEM WITH SENDING THE ROUTER BACK, they are sending a prepaid envelope.

Before I took the 12 month contract option I made it clear that it was a council property I was in and I could be moving any-time from between one & six months time. I was told that could move the service free of charge once in a 12 month period, otherwise I was going to opt for the rolling monthly contract.
I am not moving far and both property's are serviced by the same phone exchange and the service is LLU so I was surprised to be told that they couldn't provide it at the new address, at no point in the initial setting up call was it mentioned to me that they didn't cover the whole city or that even the same exchange only covered certain areas.
I did some research before my initial call to set up any sort of broadband connection, using my mobile phone internet connection, I put quite a lot of post codes into the kitz ADSL checker (no phone number) just to see if my chosen ISP showed as been available in the areas I had chosen and all came up as my chosen ISP was available in all the areas.
I thought that if the ISP had their LLU equipment in the exchange then they could connect anyone whose line runs through that exchange, r am I wrong and do ISPs cherry pick the areas including individual streets they want to service?

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: O2 who's confused me or them?
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2011, 04:28:25 PM »

Hi and welcome,

What a wonderful example of customer service by O2. :no:

Do you have the phone number at the new address? I'm guessing here, but it might be the case that there is already an ADSL service on that line. On the other hand, if it's a new line which hasn't yet got a phone number, then I guess that there may be a charge for enabling it.
  Eric

wildthing

• Just arrived
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2011, 06:00:43 PM »

After further checks I found that although O2 will provide BB to the property they somehow cannot provide a phone service as I went through the Sam knows website and clicked through as if I was a totally new customer. I find it strange that 2 property's connected to the same exchange and the one furthest away and newer can get both phone and BB but the older property and closer to the exchange can only be supplied with BB, so my opinion is that the O2 rep has got it wrong again or that the option available to me to have O2 BB is one they want to do away with, which is to have a BT phone line with O2 BB

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2011, 06:10:33 PM »

Who was/is the line rental with at the new address

BritBrat

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2011, 08:09:52 AM »

They can provide a phone service anyone can but they choose not to employ and pay Openreach to do it.

You can't have broadband with no phone line but you can have a phone and no broadband.

So if you can get broadband you must be able to get a phone line.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2011, 08:12:32 AM by BritBrat »

CurlyWhirly

• Reg Member
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2011, 07:46:51 PM »

They can provide a phone service anyone can but they choose not to employ and pay Openreach to do it.
I thought O2 used BT Openreach's WLR (Wholesale Line Rental) service ?  :-\
Mike

Jonny

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2011, 12:41:43 PM »

I thought O2 used BT Openreach's WLR (Wholesale Line Rental) service ?  :-\

They do a BT Openreach engineer has to effectively flick a switch in the cab.
Either way i dont think the whole story is being told here or omitted. They have a few large UK based call centres, to date i have always found them extremely helpful even when wanting MAC before contract expires like 3 mins!
I would be staying if it wasnt for the poor BT copper cable and excessive attenuation of 75db.

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2011, 01:36:38 PM »

!
I would be staying if it wasnt for the poor BT copper cable and excessive attenuation of 75db.

Well your line attenuation won't change no matter who you go with,and the only way to avoid copper cabling is to get either cable or fttc,with the later you will still have copper cabling from the cabinet to your home.

Jonny

« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2011, 02:47:55 PM »

Exactly, a whole 175 yards of copper cable from CAB or 6km by traditional methods, had it too rough for so long.

anything