Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Bad Speed - Noob and not sure what to do  (Read 9673 times)

manvadher

Bad Speed - Noob and not sure what to do
« on: March 05, 2011, 05:50:27 PM »

Hi all.

I have previously looked at this website and tried to use the guides and infos in order to increase the speed of my connection, however, it seems that the fastest it will connect at (ever) has been 3mb and most of the time 2.5mb. Based on what ive read and seen, i believe it should be much faster than this, somewhere around 8mb+

Please let me know what your thoughts are.

Heres a low down of the equipment

Router - Netgear DG834G
Not connected to master socket, but has iplate fitted

Exchange information from Kitz

Distance:-   Direct:         954 metres
    (appx)*   By Road:    2.57 km
    Status   
   ADSL enabled:   March 30, 2000
   DSL Max enabled:   March 30, 2006
   SDSL enabled :   Enabled
   21CN due : (PSTN)    N/A
   21CN WBC (Broadband)   Enabled 09.11.08
   Broadband Access†   Market 3

Connection information

ADSL Link            Downstream   Upstream
Connection Speed   3104 kbps   448 kbps
Line Attenuation   35 db           10.5 db
Noise Margin           14 db             24 db

BT Profile page info

Download speedachieved during the test was - 2594 Kbps
 For your connection, the acceptable range of speedsis 1200-4000 Kbps.
 Additional Information:
 Your DSL Connection Rate :3104 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 448 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
 IP Profile for your line is - 2500 Kbps
The throughput of Best Efforts (BE) classes achieved during the test is - 20.19:19.41:60.41 (SBE:NBE:PBE)
These figures represent the ratio while sententiously passing Sub BE, Normal BE and Priority BE marked traffic.

>Upload speed achieved during the test was - 358 Kbps
 Additional Information:
 Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 448 Kbp

Thanks

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: Bad Speed - Noob and not sure what to do
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2011, 06:40:19 PM »

Hi and welcome,

Yes, you're right, with an attenuation of 35 dB your connection speed is much lower than it should be. There are numerous possible reasons for that, but one thing I particularly note is that your noise margin is 14 dB. This suggests that your connection is possibly unstable, and BT's DLM process has increased your target noise margin to try to stabilise it.

As you've read the guides and done your best to make your own setup as good as possible, it's likely that the cause of the problem is external, either external interference or possibly a line fault.

The most useful tool for diagnosing this sort of problem is Routerstats and I suggest that you download and install this utility to monitor your noise margin over time. If you could copy a few hours worth of the noise margin graph here, it would help us to see what's happening.
  Eric

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2011, 08:39:18 PM »

I hope Roseway won't mind if I add just one comment here...

Not connected to master socket, but has iplate fitted

An iPlate has virtually the same effect as cutting the bell-wire at the master socket, which optimises the internal wiring in most cases.  However, there are various other internal wiring defects, that may not be apparent, and which won't be 'cured' by an iPlate.  Have you tried removing the iPlate and all extensions, with the router & filter plugged directly into the BT test socket (inside the master socket) to see if it has any dramatic effect upon either connection speed or noise margin?   

I'm not suggesting you leave it that way for any length of time as your phones will all be disconnected, but it's worth trying just for a few minutes to discount internal wiring faults...    If you've already tried it then ignore these comments and, as Roseway suggests, give RS a try.

razpag

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2011, 08:04:16 AM »

Yup, Mr Muddle has hit the nail on the head.  :)

manvadher

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2011, 02:06:26 PM »

Thanks for the tips - I did connect it to the master socket, but cant remember how long for or if the figures became better.

Will plug it back into the test socket and post some updates (wont post until next weekend now :()

but also ordered some new filters as the ones i have a very very old and been battered by a fair amount of household renovations.

Will post soon! thanks once again

manvadher

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2011, 02:21:12 PM »

Does it take time to stabilize?

plugged it into the master socket and see below.

ADSL Link   Downstream   Upstream
Connection Speed   1600 kbps   448 kbps
Line Attenuation   33 db   10.5 db
Noise Margin   15 db   24 db

bad line? If so, we did have a BT engineer come out to us once to check if it was ok, but they mentioned that the speeds your are getting are acceptable.

so based on the test we have done, im correct to say we have ruled out internal wiring issues
and given the stats and line distance, i should be expecting a fast speed. but i cant due to a poor line?

waltergmw

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2011, 02:29:59 PM »

Hi ManVadHer,

It will take some time for the IP profile to increase. If you enter your attenuation here:-

http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/max_speed_calc.php

You'll see the speeds which should be possible as shown in the picture below.

Kind regards,
Walter

[attachment deleted by admin]

manvadher

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2011, 02:40:25 PM »

Thanks Walter - but given that i have just moved the router to the test socket, the line stats have not improved which in my mind rules out any bad internal wiring issues. This leads me to believe that the line externally is bad.

Not currently concerned with fixing the IP Profile if the line is bad then it will never be able to sync at higher rates and will lead to unstable connections.

So i guess my question is - Should i call bt and have them replace / investigate and be safe that i wont be charged £150 for a call out fee?

Oranged

• Reg Member
    • The Mobile Help Forum
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2011, 02:49:32 PM »

i have just moved the router to the test socket, the line stats have not improved which in my mind rules out any bad internal wiring issues. This leads me to believe that the line externally is bad.

Not 100% certain because there is the router and the cable connecting the router to the test socket and of course the microfilter....all of these could produce a fault.

But realistically the chances are low and it's reasonable to assume that the problem is external to your property.

Your next problem is getting your ISP to acknowledge that and call out BT.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2011, 02:52:19 PM »

In addition to what Oranged said, there is one other possible proviso. In some cases, extension sockets are wired up incorrectly, connecting them to the back of the master socket instead of the faceplate where they should be connected. So, just make sure that, when the faceplate is removed, there are no cables going into the back of the socket apart from the incoming BT cable.

If that's in order, then yes, the problem is most probably external. I still suggest that you install Routerstats and gather some more data before calling for a BT visit, so that your case is as strong as possible.
  Eric

jeffbb

• Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2011, 03:30:53 PM »

Hi
quote  Connection Speed   1600 kbps   448 kbps

That's weird ,worse than before ,very suspicious ,make sure that all your cables and router are OK . Was there much time difference between these 2 sets of stats?

regards Jeff
zen user

manvadher

« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2011, 03:47:39 PM »

Agreed - I noticed that when i connected to the test socket, it dropped the speed massively. Restarted the router and it was connected back up at 2800 or something and back in its old location under the stairs, 3100.

Placed an order for 3 filters and a new cable from the router to the filter, so hopefully that will also be ruled out when they come

Will try to get routerstat installed and monitoring the figures.

When i opened the master socket up, there was nothing interfering with the test socket. there was from the faceplate part going back inside, which goes under the stairs where the phone line is distributed to the rest of the house.

Installing routerstat now!

My provider is BT (Total  Broadband with BT Vision)

Will provide Routerstat info, thanks once again

waltergmw

• Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2011, 04:47:06 PM »

Just to add one more to Eric's note:-

... and that there are no other connection boxes either inside or outside the house with additional cables going elsewhere.

K R
Walter

jeffbb

• Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2011, 09:09:25 PM »

Hi
Normally you would expect a better synch from the test socket if there was something wrong with your internal wiring.Having a worse connection ,this needs to be understood before calling in Bt ,as it might cost you .
Regards Jeff
zen user

Oranged

• Reg Member
    • The Mobile Help Forum
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2011, 09:41:52 PM »

Having a worse connection ,this needs to be understood before calling in Bt ,as it might cost you .

Agreed............it may well indicate a router or cable or filter fault.
Pages: [1] 2 3