Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: FireFox problem  (Read 9898 times)

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
  • If it ain't broke....... I'll soon fix it.
Re: FireFox problem
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2007, 11:55:52 PM »

At the moment it "still" looks like I am not even going to be able to give Opera a try!

No matter which site I try to access to get Opera, I just can't open any of the site's and that's not just one or two but quite a few.
Still, tomorrows another day so I will be trying again.

I have mainly been trying www.opera.com but it will not open, obviously something is blocking it but I can't find what.  >:(

Just tried again, but still no joy, itjust eventually times-out.

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2007, 12:26:04 AM »

At the moment it "still" looks like I am not even going to be able to give Opera a try!

No matter which site I try to access to get Opera, I just can't open any of the site's and that's not just one or two but quite a few.
Still, tomorrows another day so I will be trying again.

I have mainly been trying www.opera.com but it will not open, obviously something is blocking it but I can't find what.  >:(

Just tried again, but still no joy, itjust eventually times-out.

No problems at this end.  try putting this in the address bar on a new tab.    http://www.opera.com/
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2007, 01:43:52 AM »

I had previously tried that link also.

BUT, this time I kept a very careful eye on PeerGuardian and it was that that was blocking the site, so it is now downloaded ready to have a go with it later on today.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2007, 09:39:46 PM »

but then got side-tracked and eventually ended up here:-
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/SupportCD/FirefoxMyths.html

:lol:

:D @ the FF linky

and sod what it says on there - Im still going to use FF as the abbreviation rather than "fx".  :P
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2007, 09:40:57 PM »

>>> PeerGuardian and it was that that was blocking the site,

okaaaaaaaaaay  :thumbdown:
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2007, 10:50:03 PM »

Yep, PeerGuardian (PG2) was the culprit for not allowing the Opera site/s to open.

Well it's loaded and working but I'm holding back any judgments until I have had time to give it a fair shake.
Although one thing that has put me on guard, is the ammount of HTTP and other content that has to be allowed by PG2 for Opera to work and run without pages failing to open.

First job though will be to try and customise the tool-bar, I have had a little play with it like using full screen, but then I lose the scroll bar down the side, so then have to come back to using the key-board to re-activate normal screen mode, which slightly defeats part of the point of using full screen.
"Found the solution for that" (by accident) right click and select Full Screen again.

First job Second job, now to set-up a spellchecker.

Just testing.seeing if spell checker either works or if I can find it.
NO, I installed the spell checker and dictionary, but it's not working.
Still don't like the fact of having to allow all these various bits of Opera in PG2 to get any where.

PS: just looked on the tab bar and there were about 10 other pages open, no wonder I could not get any where.
Not very impressed at the moment.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2007, 11:26:20 PM by oldfogy »

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2007, 10:54:52 PM »

hmmm  yeah I remember that config and laying out opera how I liked did take a wee while.
I think there was also a thread on here somewhere last year about opera config.

>> First job now is to set-up a spellchecker

another tool for opera that I like is this one which highlights words in your searches

http://my.opera.com/community/forums/topic.dml?id=149014

-----

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2007, 10:57:32 PM »

>>> I think there was also a thread on here somewhere last year about opera config.

It helps if you add the link  ???

http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php/topic,313.0.html
-----

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #23 on: September 16, 2007, 11:41:23 PM »

>>> I think there was also a thread on here somewhere last year about opera config.

Thanks, just looked at that, altered the tool bar "okay" opend this page again and the b****y tool bar automatically came back.

mr_chris

• Kitizen
« Reply #24 on: September 17, 2007, 12:19:19 AM »

'Fx' sounds rude lol :P

Ahem... OF, there is actually a tickbox in the Peerguardian config called something like "Allow HTTP browsing" which will basically ignore the blocklist for the purposes of web browsing only. Try that and see if you get any joy?
« Last Edit: September 17, 2007, 12:27:16 AM by mr_chris »
Chris

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #25 on: September 17, 2007, 12:49:53 AM »

Hi Chris, yes thanks I do use it on occasions ( but not when DL from torrents ) which is pretty well most of the time, I know some people say it's okay to use even then, but when you see the same thing being blocked one minute as it should be, then the same IP address turning up a couple of minutes later as a TCP connection.  :no:

But still can't get this spell checker to work, back to the drawing board (reading page) instructions, don't you just hate them.  ::)

The dictionary download was corrupt, not to mention it was a .zip file with an installer in it.  :lol:

Just an up-date to let you know that " I am still undecided" Kitz, I did try Opera but was not all that keen on it.

IE7: Is sill simply a NO GO as it disables and stops a couple of my audio programs from working.
Firefox: I didn't like the amount of tool-bar space used and the lack of tool-bar configuration options.
Opera: To be honest, I can't remember what is was with Opera, but for some reason, again I was not all that happy with it.

So at the moment it's back with IE6 (which for some reason seems to be working okay again) I have a feeling that it may of been one of the MS updates that just may of caused the original slowness problem and since re-Ghosting my HDD to a much earlier time seems to have resolved the problem.

Yes I know, there is no pleased some people.  :lol:
« Last Edit: October 03, 2007, 01:02:06 AM by oldfogy »
Pages: 1 [2]

anything