Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Windows 7 Service Pack 1  (Read 7380 times)

Dakeyras

Windows 7 Service Pack 1
« on: February 27, 2011, 03:24:53 PM »

Just a quick heads up for those not aware...W7 SP1 has been released, just recently installed it on my W7 machine and no problems encountered so far etc. :)

Further information can be found here and here.
Member of ASAP and UNITE

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
Re: Windows 7 Service Pack 1
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2011, 05:41:23 PM »

Thanks for the heads-up.  :thumbs:

BritBrat

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2011, 07:00:03 PM »

I would hold off updating to SP1 I read lots having problems.

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2011, 09:24:43 PM »

Comments like that appear after any major update and don't really help us much, can you be more specific please?

Just for the record I've installed it and had NO problems at all, indeed it seems "crisper" afterwards.

I have read reports (I'm in the IT business) of issues on dual-boot systems with Linux using specific dual-boot tools. Nothing else significant (yet)...

Dakeyras

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2011, 10:38:29 PM »

Thanks for the heads-up.  :thumbs:
You're welcome! :)

I would hold off updating to SP1 I read lots having problems.
Fair play, as with any major update some problems may arise...Depends on the vagaries of any one machine as all have a different foot print if you will due too software installed/how set up etc.

For myself I have not noticed(had) any issues as of yet with W7 SP1 but taken the precaution to leave the actual  Service Pack Backup Files in place and will do so for about a week or so.

All I will further add is in my experience when individuals have encountered problems after a SP installation/update they may have not temporarily disabled all on-board Security related applications before actually installing the SP and it would be prudent to actually create  backups before installation. :)
Member of ASAP and UNITE

AdrianH

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2011, 06:27:35 AM »

3 systems updated here without any issues at all.

Many of those with issues are also the ones that try to use Win7 on/with incompatible systems/software/hardware.  Make a restore point,backup your files ,make a system image and rescue disc before any major changes/updates and with Win7 you are back up and running in a very short time.

This update is basically a roll up of all the previously released updates along with some performance enhancements, there is nothing there to cause major issues. I am convinced that 99% of the problems people find is because they simply will not leave XP/ME/98/2000 behind. Win7 is very different and if you work with it and find out how to use it without constantly expecting it to be something it is not the issues simply don't arise.

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2011, 09:00:50 AM »

leave XP/ME/98/2000 behind. Win7 is very different
I notice Vista doesn't even deserve a mention. :lol:
I dropped them in the order: 98, Vista, ME,  :-X and will in future drop 2000 then possibly XP.
(just rebuilt a 2000 system over the weekend  :o )
XP I suspect still has a long life ahead of it and familiarity is NOT the reason.  :no:

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2011, 09:24:13 AM »

I notice Vista doesn't even deserve a mention.  :lol:

I've been using Vista since April 2007 and have been very happy with it,saying that it didn't have a lot to live up to as previously I had been using Windows ME.  ;D

geep

• Reg Member
    • My ST546 Statistics
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2011, 01:02:32 PM »

@HPsauce - can you post links to dual-boot problems affecting Limux?
I sextuple boot via grub to Win7x86, WinXP, Slackware13.1,12.2,12.1,12.0 and would like that to continue.
In the meantime I'm blocking Win7 auto-update.
Cheers,
Peter 

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2011, 01:12:33 PM »

Sorry, but I'm not a Linux guru and don't have specifics.
Someone I know who most definitely is one posted on another forum that they had problems with Grub that "broke" dual-boot when W7SP1 was applied.

Something to test I guess.  8)

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2011, 02:32:43 PM »

I've got a vague memory of this, but I can't recall where I've seen it. Possibly on the Debian forums. When I get the chance I'll try to find it.
  Eric

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2011, 03:01:21 PM »

Presumably if it's a widespread issue Linux/Grub users will be talking about it and a quick "Google" will reveal all!

Hope I haven't cried wolf.  8)

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
  Eric

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2011, 04:17:43 PM »

Given what people are trying to do the solution doesn't sound horrendously onerous.
(and the problem isn't too surprising, just wonder what in SP1 requires changes to the boot manager)
Can't really blame Microsoft for not supporting other boot managers you add afterwards.  :-\

geep

• Reg Member
    • My ST546 Statistics
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2011, 06:30:19 PM »

Can't really blame Microsoft for not supporting other boot managers you add afterwards

grub was installed in July 2008 when I built the PC. Win7 was only installed about 2 weeks ago.
Major mistake on my part - I should have waited for SP1.

Looks like the easiest way is to take the side off the PC and unplug all drives except the one with Win7.
That's great for a software up(?)grade.
Unless perhaps I can rejig the boot order of the disks in the BIOS, as I put grub's MBR on a different disk to Win7.

Andreas Demmer's method sounds horrible. Plausible, but horrible.

And when all the dust has settled I suppose, in the usual Microsoft way, the space that Win7 occupies will double.

Cheers,
Peter
Pages: [1] 2

anything